Connect with us

Defence/Security

Buratai debunks statement on troops non commitment to fight Boko Haram

Published

on

Burutai debunks statement on troops non commitment to fight Boko Haram

Statement
Lt.- Gen. Tukur Buratai, The Chief of Army Staff, on Monday dubunked statement attributed to him that troops were not committed to fighting Boko Haram.

Buratai debunked the statement at a  Joint news conference by the Army and the Borno Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum, at the Government House, Maiduguri.

The COAS said most of the report were exaggerated by the media, describing it as “mere propaganda”.

 “There is no  way when you’re in conflict, you don’t have casualty, we have casualties. When necessary we give out these figures , the problem is that most of our journalists are not contented with what the military gives .

“They believe that the figure is far more than that.”

“Up till today, people are still quoting the Metele attack of last year to be 300; some 400 and some 500 of our men killed.

“We have given out the correct figures but some are still quoting the wrong figure because they don’t want to believe us,” he said.

He said that the Journalists believed more on the figure being given through hearsay, warning that the press must be careful when reporting issues of National security.

“We have to be very careful, national security, defence and Security are not issues you just talk about and if you go along that way, you will be the victim and first victim for that matter because National Security is not a matter of joke and it’s not a matter of blame game .

“You should not blame the military for whatever set back or problem; it’s a collective responsibility.

“Some newsmen went to the extent of distorting facts by quoting me out of context.

“War against insurgency is a collective one, it is for all but some journalists are fond of promoting Boko Haram insurgents.

War against terrorism is a global war, if you support terrorism, it will one day consume you,” he warned.

“Military operations are different from mere activities of may be, vigilante or even the paramilitary or other forces.

“You don’t just give out information because you want to give out information because somebody is interested.

“Military operation activities or even personnel are all classified, they are not for public consumption unless if they are absolutely necessary to gain confidence as well as to promote our own collective efforts in securing our country,” the COAS said.

HMS/IA

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. EDITOR@NNN.COM.NG