By Bukola Adewumi
Abuja, Nov. 8, 2019 The Acting Director-General of Bureau of Public Sector Reform, Mr Dasuki Arabi, has called for accountability in both the public and private sector of the economy.
Arabi, who made this known on Friday at the Meet the Icons event in Abuja, said this would impact on the future development of the Nation.
Nigeria News Agency reports that the Integrity Icons tell their stories and how their work in the year had impacted the society.
The accountability lab has so far honoured 15 government officials from 2017 to 2018 and the quest to name more Icons is on.
The D-G said that the bureau had put measures in place for agencies to have telephone and emails address where citizens could engage them.
According to him, we engage a lot with Civil Society Organisation to bring them together to understand their responsibility, and the citizen to engage with the MDAs to know about their function.
The Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Sweden, Fanny Nglandee, said there was need for the leaders to be accountable to the citizen, especially in the area of welfare.
“The leaders need to contribute to the provision of basic welfare for the people, especially when they pay tax regularly.
“Taxes should be utilized in a manner that will make the country prosper. The citizen should be able to enjoy basic services.”
Mr Friday Odeh, the Country Director, Accountability Lab, charged Nigerians to live a life of integrity, in spite of the challenges in the country.
He urged youths to portray positive message about the country, adding that “a lot of people believe that there is no reason to live a life on integrity in Nigeria.
“We want us all to change this notion about the country.”
Doyin Adewunmi, an Integrity Icon 2018, said there was need for Nigerians to live a life of integrity in their various field.
Adewumi also urged Journalists to put in their best into the their profession.
“If we set our heart to change the country, it will change for good. We all need to put in our best to bring out the best of our country.”
Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz
- U.S. firms dominate global sales of military equipment, services – Report
- Wild weather in New Zealand leaves 1,000 tourists stranded
- Saudi Arabia pledges more humanitarian support to Nigeria
- APC wins all 16 Chairmanship seats in Ekiti council poll
- Wike approves enrolment of more pensioners on payroll
- AFN: Shehu-Gusau vows to unravel corrupt practices
- Yoruba leaders want govt. to tackle unemployment
- Ekiti poll: Fayemi tasks police on killing
- Kwara lawmaker commends Lai Mohammed for uniting Igbomina people
- NPFL: Abia’s haul gives Sunshine maximum three points
- Osun United FC 0-3 loss to 3SC, a lesson- Omokaro
- Ibadan chief seeks investment in sports, donates $3,000 to 3SC
- Ganduje restates commitment to human rights protection
- Lack of labour-saving technology affecting women farmers’ health –SWOFON
- Nigeria qualifies for 2020 World Ultra Runners Championship
- CAF Cup: Enyimba defeats FC San Pedro, Morocco 1-0 to move to second position in Group B
- Get something doing, don’t be fulll time housewives, NGO tells women
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union