By Bukola Adewumi
Abuja, Nov. 8, 2019 The Acting Director-General of Bureau of Public Sector Reform, Mr Dasuki Arabi, has called for accountability in both the public and private sector of the economy.
Arabi, who made this known on Friday at the Meet the Icons event in Abuja, said this would impact on the future development of the Nation.
Nigeria News Agency reports that the Integrity Icons tell their stories and how their work in the year had impacted the society.
The accountability lab has so far honoured 15 government officials from 2017 to 2018 and the quest to name more Icons is on.
The D-G said that the bureau had put measures in place for agencies to have telephone and emails address where citizens could engage them.
According to him, we engage a lot with Civil Society Organisation to bring them together to understand their responsibility, and the citizen to engage with the MDAs to know about their function.
The Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Sweden, Fanny Nglandee, said there was need for the leaders to be accountable to the citizen, especially in the area of welfare.
“The leaders need to contribute to the provision of basic welfare for the people, especially when they pay tax regularly.
“Taxes should be utilized in a manner that will make the country prosper. The citizen should be able to enjoy basic services.”
Mr Friday Odeh, the Country Director, Accountability Lab, charged Nigerians to live a life of integrity, in spite of the challenges in the country.
He urged youths to portray positive message about the country, adding that “a lot of people believe that there is no reason to live a life on integrity in Nigeria.
“We want us all to change this notion about the country.”
Doyin Adewunmi, an Integrity Icon 2018, said there was need for Nigerians to live a life of integrity in their various field.
Adewumi also urged Journalists to put in their best into the their profession.
“If we set our heart to change the country, it will change for good. We all need to put in our best to bring out the best of our country.”
Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz
- Shooting prompts Trump’s evacuation from White House briefing room
- Collection of forms for 774,000 Special Public Works commences in Rivers
- Lawmaker commends Buhari, Diri over Oloibiri Museum, appeals for befitting access road
- Pay 4 years pension arrears, gratuities, pensioners beg Wike
- Police arrest 27 armed robbery, Kidnapping suspects in Nasarawa
- Wike seeks Assembly’s approval for N18bn loan
- COVID-19: FG directs civil servants on levels 12, 13 to resume work
- Obaseki seeks traditional ruler’s blessing ahead of Sept. 19 election
- Kano Govt establishes 3 more schools for Almajiri children
- United States decries Russia’s decree targeting VOA, others