A bus conductor, Qudri Mustapha, who allegedly punched a policeman in the mouth on Wednesday appeared in an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court.
Mustapha, 25, who resides in Jakande area of Lagos, is charged with breach of peace and assault, to which he pleaded not guilty.
The Prosecution Counsel, Sgt. Ishola Samuel, told the court that Mustapha committed the offence on July 17, at 4 p.m. at Oshodi Bus-stop Inward Anthony Expressway, Lagos.
Samuel alleged that the defendant assaulted PCe Olumide Sonoiki, while performing his lawful duty
He alleged that Mustapha, who was causing obstruction by dropping-off passengers on the highway, punched Sonoiki when he confronted him and asked him to move his vehicle.
Samuel alleged that Sonoiki, sustained injury.
The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 168 and 174 of Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 .
Nigeria News Agency reports that Section 174 provides a three-year jail term for assault and Section 168 provides a two-year jail term for convicts.
Magistrate F.O. Hughes admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N10,000 with one surety in like sum and adjourned the case until Sept. 9.
edited by Sadiya Hamza
- Nollywood: Audition for ‘A Call to Service’, pro-NYSC scheme movie debuts in FCT
- Lack of synergy responsible for Nigeria’s loss at IMO council election – operators
- Group seeks participation of more women in farming
- Aguleri community builds unity centre worth N150m
- Eye centre performs 900 operations in 12 months
- Transport strikes continue in France amid fresh lorry blockades
- IPPIS: NECA urges FG, ASUU to initiate industrial relations process to resolve disagreement
- Former head of state, Abdulsalami underscores importance of traditional institutions
- UniJos graduates 11, 431 students, 74 first class, 97 PhDs
- Institute concludes environmental impact survey of Lagos, makes recommendations
- Sowore: Rights commission urges law enforcement officials to respect law
- Lai Muhammed, others bag honorary fellowship as tourism institute graduates 3,000
- Accounting profession not for corrupt people, says ANAN Chairman
- Gov. Ganduje presents employment letters to 920 newly recruited health workers
- Taiwan marks 40th anniversary of crushing of pro-democracy march
- Kaduna NUJ commends Gov. el-Rufai for ongoing urban renewal projects
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election