By Deborah Akpede
Obiekwe, a resident of Mushin, Lagos, is being tried for issuing dud cheque.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Aondohemba Koti, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on May 6, 2017 at Mushin, Lagos.
Koti alleged that the defendant issued a cheque of N5 million to one Mr Anenlimibor Irabor which was dishonored at the bank due to insufficient fund in the account.
“The defendant approached the complainant for a loan of N5 millon to complete his plaza.
“After agreement was reached, the complainant gave him the loan. But when it was time for the defendant to pay back the loan, he gave the complainant a cheque.
“When the complainant presented the cheque at the bank, it was dishonoured.
“Efforts made by the complainant to get his money proved unsuccessful as the defendant refused to pick his phone calls.
“The complainant reported the case at the police station and the defendant was later arrested,’’the prosecutor said.
The offence contravened Section 1(b)(1) of Dishonoured Cheque Act, Cap 10 Law of Federal Republic of Nigeria, 2017.
The defendant pleaded not guilty.
The Magistrate, Mrs M.O Tanimola, granted the defendant N200,000 bail with two sureties in like sum.
Tanimola said that the sureties should be gainfully employed and show evidences of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She adjourned the case till Feb. 27 for further hearing. (NNN)
Edited by Debo Oshundun/Tukur Muntari.
- Edo Govt. to provide 100,000 hectares of land for oil palm investors
- MSD campaign: Obiano warns immunisation workers against collection of tips
- 2019 AFRIFF: Tanzania Film Board woos Africa movie investors
- Igbo youths celebrate Mamman Daura at 80, felicitate with Muslims on Eid-el-Maulud
- 60% of drugs imported to be manufactured locally – NAFDAC
- Buhari greets ex-Anambra Gov. Virgy Etiaba at 77
- 2019 AFRIFF: Namibia Film Commission seeks collaboration with Nigerian filmmakers
- Delta guber: Appeal Court reserves judgment in Ogboru’ suit
- Court reserves judgment in appeal against Ihedioha’s election
- Edo Special Marshals strategise for optimal efficiency during Yuletide
- Lam Adesina: 120 students benefit N1.2m bursary award
- Imbibe spirit of love, patience, equity, lawmaker advises Muslims
- NAFDAC calls for stiffer punishment for drug traffickers
- Expert urges govt. to fund artificial intelligence research to boost ICT
- Appeal Court judgment: Oyo people’s mandate remains intact – Makinde
- NYSC DG expresses concern over dress code controversy
- Obaseki felicitates with Muslims on Eid-el-Maulud
- Anglican Bishop counsels Nigeria leaders on good governance
- Ex-Minister, Tam David-West dies at 83
- Don wants students examine on use of standard English