A 32-year-old businessman, Chinedu Okoye, who allegedly obtained N14 million from a man to solve his ”spiritual problems”, on Monday appeared in an Igbosere Magistrates’ Court, Lagos.
Okoye is charged with conspiracy, obtaining under false pretences and perverting the cause of justice, to which he pleaded not guilty.
The Prosecution Counsel, Insp. Ingobo Emby, told the court that the defendant committed the offence between March 1 and April 24, at Plot 3508, Dominic Obiajiku St., Devine Estate, Amuwo-Odofin, Lagos.
Emby said that the defendant fraudulently obtained N14 million from Mr Obiora Elefobiri, that he would provide spiritual solutions for him, a representation he knew was false.
“He did not provide the spiritual solutions, but converted the money to his personal use,” the prosecutor said.
Emby said the defendant also conducted himself in a manner likely to pervert the cause of justice by aiding the escape of his elder brother, Arinze Okoye, a suspect under investigation in a case of conspiracy and fraud.
According to the prosecutor, the offence contravened the provisions of sections 97(1), 287, 314(2) and 411of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
Magistrate M.O. Ope-Agbe admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N17 million with two sureties in like sum.
Ope-Agbe adjourned the case until Oct. 16 for mention.
Edited by Edith Bolokor/Sadiya Hamza
- New bridge under construction in Genoa, Italy
- Nigeria records 387 new cases of COVID-19, active cases now 6344
- S.Korea reports 39 more COVID-19 cases, 11,441 in total
- 17 more people tested positive for COVID-19 in Myanmar, 224 cases in total
- COVID-19 cases surpass 170,000 in India, death toll at 4971
- CDS’s death: General Court Martial sentences six aides in probe
- UNIFIL awards Chinese woman for exceptional role in peacekeeping in S. Lebanon
- U.S. Fed chief fears second wave of COVID-19 outbreak would undermine recovery
- 13 new COVID-19 cases reported in southern Libya
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits 1965 km SW of Lajes das Flores, Portugal — USGS
- COVID-19 cases surpass 170,000 in India, death toll at 4,971
- 5.5-magnitude quake hits 193 km S of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea — USGS
- World Bank approves 15 mln USD for Cambodia’s pre-service education system for health professionals
- World Bank says COVID-19 epidemic poses greatest threat to Cambodia’s development
- Cambodia reports 1 more imported COVID-19 case, 125 in total
- White House on lockdown as protests over Floyd’s death reach U.S. capital amid nationwide rage
- No new case in New Zealand for eight consecutive days
- Int’l passenger air travel resumes in Slovenia’s capital
- Finland approves employment of additional non-EU agri-workers
- Chile to grant facilities to LATAM Airlines after bankruptcy announcement