A 32-year-old businessman, Chinedu Okoye, who allegedly obtained N14 million from a man to solve his ”spiritual problems”, on Monday appeared in an Igbosere Magistrates’ Court, Lagos.
Okoye is charged with conspiracy, obtaining under false pretences and perverting the cause of justice, to which he pleaded not guilty.
The Prosecution Counsel, Insp. Ingobo Emby, told the court that the defendant committed the offence between March 1 and April 24, at Plot 3508, Dominic Obiajiku St., Devine Estate, Amuwo-Odofin, Lagos.
Emby said that the defendant fraudulently obtained N14 million from Mr Obiora Elefobiri, that he would provide spiritual solutions for him, a representation he knew was false.
“He did not provide the spiritual solutions, but converted the money to his personal use,” the prosecutor said.
Emby said the defendant also conducted himself in a manner likely to pervert the cause of justice by aiding the escape of his elder brother, Arinze Okoye, a suspect under investigation in a case of conspiracy and fraud.
According to the prosecutor, the offence contravened the provisions of sections 97(1), 287, 314(2) and 411of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
Magistrate M.O. Ope-Agbe admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N17 million with two sureties in like sum.
Ope-Agbe adjourned the case until Oct. 16 for mention.
Edited by Edith Bolokor/Sadiya Hamza
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study