Connect with us

Judiciary

Businessman docked over alleged N700, 000 fraud

Published

on

The Police on Thursday docked a businessman, Olusegun Odunlami, 39, at an Ogudu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos, charged with an alleged N700, 000 fraud.

Odunlami, who resides at the Ketu area in Lagos, is facing a two-count charge of stealing and obtaining money under false pretence.

The Police Prosecutor, Insp. Lucky Ihiehie, said the defendant committed the offences on Dec. 14, 2018 at Ketu.

Ihiehie alleged that the defendant approached the complainant, Gabriel Oshunleti, to lend him N700, 000 under the pretence of using the money to buy “electronics,” to resell and make some money.

He said Odunlami promised to return the money to Oshunleti with interest, within two weeks.

Ihiehie said that instead, Odunlami failed to fulfill the agreement and allegedly converted the money to his personal use.

He said that efforts by the complainant to get his money back failed.

The prosecutor said the offences contravened Sections 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

Section 287 stipulates three years imprisonment for stealing, while Section 314 prescribes a 15-year jail term for obtaining by pretence, on conviction.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the two-count charge.

The Magistrate, Mrs Ejiro Kubeinje, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N250, 000 with two sureties in like sum.

Kubeinje said that the sureties should show evidence of tax payments to the Lagos State Government and adjourned the case until Oct. 15.
NG/ JI/PIO

(Edited by Joe Idika/Idonije Obakhedo)

 

 

 

 

General news

Ibadan businessman petitions new Oyo CP over alleged rights infringement

Published

on

An Ibadan-based businessman, Mr Peter Asa, has petitioned the new Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Nwachukwu Enwonwu, over alleged infringement on his fundamental rights by the police.
Asa, in his petition, entitled: ‘Save My Soul’, and made available to newsmen on Tuesday in Ibadan, said that his rights had been grossly infringed upon.
He alleged that some police officers were being used to silence him over a certain property sold to him by a company, UAC, in 2020 for N26 million.
Asa, popularly known as King Zion, named a certain man as the brain behind his recent detention for three days at the Iyaganku police station.
The businessman said that the inaugural speech of the new police boss, where he pledged never to tolerate any infringement on the fundamental human rights of any member of the public by his officers and men, motivated his distress call.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Enwonwu, who took over from Mr Shina Olukolu, who had been transferred to the Force Criminal Investigation Department in Lagos State, assumed duty on June 1.
Asa, while alleging that the man in question had sponsored several attacks on him, using security agents, implored the police commissioner to carry out an investigation on the case.
“Two officers from Iyaganku, on a recent Thursday afternoon, around 2 pm., at the premises of a bank in Dugbe, arrested and treated me like a common criminal.
“I was taken to Iyaganku police station and kept in detention with criminally-minded suspects for three days.
“The officers arrested me and said my attention was needed at Iyaganku.
“There
is no iota of truth in what I was alleged of. They said I was responsible for the fire incident at the said property, which I duly paid for over 18 years ago.
“The ownership right on the matter is still in court and I will not want to go there. But as a pastor, I know truth will prevail at the end, as I have faith in God that I will get justice, no matter what,” he said.
Asa said that the fire incident happened in broad daylight on April 15 and that he was arrested on May 14, allegedly on a trumped up charge that he was responsible for the inferno.
He said that his arrest came after the officials of Oyo State government had fingered a welder working in one of the shops in the complex as the brain behind the inferno.


Edited By: Bayo Sekoni and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Alleged cheating: Court grants businessman N800,000 bail

Published

on

An Upper Area Court in Gwagwalada, FCT, on Monday, admitted a businessman, Awwal Nasir, to bail in the sum of N800,000 bail for criminal breach of trust, pending report of settlement.

The Judge, Sani Umar, admitted Nasir after he pleaded guilty to the two counts of  breach of trust and cheating preferred against him.

Umar ordered the defendant to produce one reasonable and reliable surety in like sum.

Umar ordered that if the defendant failed to meet the bail conditions, he would  be remanded in police custody.

He adjourned the matter until  July 1, for hearing and report of settlement.

 

Earlier, Nasir said:” I know am owing him and I promise to pay him. I collected the power bike but was not able to pay at the agreed time because I had an accident and was hospitalised for months.

Mr I.A. Aliyu, the Prosecution Counsel, Sadiq Yuguda , told the court that sometime in November 2019,the complainant  sold a Suzuki power bike at the agreed sum of N750,000 to the defendant.

He said that based on the understanding between the two parties the defendant was allowed to test-drive the motorcycle to confirm if it was in good condition at the time of sale.

Aliyu said that the defendant informed the complainant that he had no money to pay but would go home and source for money and come back to pay that same day.

He added that upon the intervention of a mutual friend of both parties, the defendant was allowed to go with the motorcycle without paying the agreed amount.

The prosecution counsel said that the defendant failed to pay the complainant.

The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 312 and 322 of the Penal Code.


Edited By: Bayo Sekoni/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Businessman begs court not to grant wife’s prayer for divorce

Published

on

A businessman, Shuaibu Abdullahi, on Thursday  begged a Grade I Area court not to grant his wife’s application for divorce.

The wife, Hassana, a businesswoman, in her petition prayed the court to dissolve her marriage to Abdullahi, on grounds of drunkenness and refusal to observe the five times obligatory Islamic prayers.

Abdullahi told the court that he would bring elders from his wife’s family and his, in other to properly settle the matter between them.

“I plead with the court to give me two weeks for final settlement and not to grant my wife’s request for divorce. “he pleaded.

Abdullahi further begged his wife to pray for him so that he can stop his habit of drinking.

Earlier, Hassana told the court that her husband has refused to stop drinking beer and refuses to perform the five times obligatory Islamic prayers.

She however begged the court to dissolve her marriage of over 30 years which was contracted under Islamic Law and is blessed with six children.

” I will still be praying for my husband after our marriage is dissolved, ” she said.

The Judge, Muhammad Adamu adjourned the matter until June 11 for final report of settlement.

The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that Abdullahi, a cleaner at Efab Metropolis Estate, Dutse Express, Abuja, entered an undertaking to stop drinking after his wife filed for divorce in June 2018.

He had also promised to share his salary into two, keep half of it to himself and give the other half to his wife for upkeep.

He however begged the court to give him time to settle with his wife, saying that they had grown up children and grandchildren together, after she filed for divorce on May 21, 2020.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Australian businessman calls for trust, respect, understanding in relations with China

Published

on

By

Trust, respect and understanding are needed for Australia to nurture its relationship with China, an Australian businessman has said.

“What we need to do is to be very calm, be very respectful … There are a lot to understand on both sides of the equation,” Mark Allison, president of Agribusiness Australia, an agricultural producer and exporter, said in a telephone interview with Xinhua.

Allison is also the chief executive officer of Elders, a leading agriculture company in Australia which was started in 1839. Talking about the recent barley tariff friction with China, he noted that the issue should not be politicized.

“The barley issue has been going for 18 months and they (China) have raised legitimate issues with what they believe was the dumping of barley in China, as we have raised 10 times as many issues against China in the same process,” he said.

According to him, about 65 percent of Australia’s agricultural products are exported, with Asia being its key market.

“Clearly the growth of China is significant for us,” he said. “China is the No. 2 economy in the world, and a major trading partner, and we have closest proximity.”

He said that Australia benefited from the trade of wool, nuts and fruits with China. “And China is a growing grain market for us,” he added. “There is a big share of dairy products, and fish products, particularly crayfish, has been increasing.”

Allison spoke highly of the strong economic ties between China and Australia.

“At the agricultural season in Australia, Elders has got very strong support from Chinese factories that were coming out of the COVID-19 shutdowns to ensure that we had products of the Australia farmers. It’s very, very strong positive relationship,” he said.

Victoria is Australia’s first state to participate in the Belt and Road Initiative, launched by China in 2013 to promote trade and economic cooperation among economies and further open up markets in a mutually beneficial manner.

“As chairman of Agribusiness Australia, we issued a report last year on the implications to Australian agriculture of the Belt and Road Initiative,” said Allison. “I see a lot of benefits for Australian agriculture.”

Looking into the future, Allison said he was optimistic.

Noting that he feels deep passion for Australia’s achievements, Allison expressed his respect for what China has achieved. “The achievements (of) lifting Chinese people out of poverty, the health improvement and education improvement are quite amazing for such an important country in the world.”

“The long term view for China and Australia will be positive,” the businessman said.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Businessman bags 3 years imprisonment for N3.5m fraud

Published

on

Justice Mallong Peter of the Kaduna Federal High Court on Thursday sentenced one Mohammed Isah, a businessman to three years imprisonment without an option of fine for N3.5 million fraud.

The convict was prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Kaduna zonal office.

Earlier, the Prosecution Counsel, S. H. Sa’ad, had told the court that the convict was first arraigned on Dec. 2, 2017, along with his company, Rabo Construction Company Ltd., on a two-count charge of obtaining money by false pretence to the tune of N3,500, 000 and issuance of dud cheque.

According to Sa’ad, the convict was arrested in 2018 when one Adamu Yusuf reported to the EFCC that the convict deceived him into supply of rods for the execution of a multi-million naira building contract, he claimed to have won.

The prosecution said that after the complainant supplied the rods to him, the convict issued a post-dated cheque, which was returned unpaid.

He further said that investigation by the EFCC revealed that the convict was never awarded any contract, as there was no document to support his claim.

He added that it was further established that the convict sold the rods and diverted the proceeds to his personal use.

The convict had pleaded “not guilty” to the charges and was granted N300, 000 bail.

Sa’ad added that the offence is contrary to Section 1(1) (a) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Act, 2006 and punishable under Section 1(3) of the same Act.

The convict was, however, sentenced after the prosecution had opened its case by calling two witnesses and tendering nine exhibits.

Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Adeleye Ajayi (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police confirm abduction of businessman in Benue

Published

on

The  Police Command in Benue on Sunday confirmed the abduction of Mr Emmanuel Nwankwo, a businessman, from his residence in  Makurdi.

The command’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Catherine Anene, told the News Agency of Nigeira in Makurdi that the owner of Emchony Electricals was abducted by unknown gunmen on Saturday night.

Anene said that investigation into the matter was in progress with the view to rescue the victim and arrest the perpetrators.

Nwankwo’s neighbour, who preferred anonimity, told NAN that the abductors stormed the victim’s house at about 8 p.m.

According to him, the gunmen shot sporadically into the air before whisking the businessman away to an unknown destination.

Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo and Isaac Ukpoju (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Feature: Russian businessman joins anti-virus fight in China border city

Published

on

By

Andrei Azarnov, a Russian businessman, chose to stay in Suifenhe, at the China-Russia border in northeast China‘s Heilongjiang Province, and joined the fight against COVID-19.

Four years ago, Azarnov started his sausage business in Suifenhe with a local man. He has been living in the city since returning from Russia in December.

“I love this career, and deeply love the city and the people here,” Azarnov said.

However, business at his shop in the Sino-Russian friendship community has been partially affected by the restricted movement of people as part of local measures to control the spread of COVID-19.

All the communities in the city have restricted entry and residents are permitted to go out to purchase daily necessities only once every three days.

“But we’ll continue to provide services to the public while taking protective measures,” said Azarnov.

Now the Russian businessman has bought masks, disinfectants and thermometers for his staff and led them to disinfect the shop every day. All the employees are subject to body temperature measurement and registration before starting work.

As of midday Tuesday, Suifenhe had reported a total of 377 confirmed cases imported from overseas. The city has beefed up prevention measures against COVID-19.

At present, the Suifenhe port, a major land checkpoint at the border, has shut down its passenger inspection channel and tightened checks on the freight inspection channel.

“It made me feel safe in China,” Azarnov said.

He lauded the city’s control efforts and shared them with his family in Moscow by phone.

“I have told them to take preventive measures, such as wearing masks, avoiding gathering and conducting disinfection and ventilation at home.”

For Azarnov, the current situation in the border city is orderly and stable. He is trying to sell sausages online and expanding his sales.

“What I want to do most now is to work harder and make up for lost time,” he said. “We’re fighting against the virus here with our Chinese friends and I believe we’ll surely overcome the epidemic.”

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police confirm killing of another Abia businessman as angry youth burn station, courts

Published

on

Police Command in Abia on Saturday confirmed the arrest of an unnamed police operative for killing one Mr Friday Arunsi, a middle-aged businessman at his Ebem Ohafia community.

The Abia Police Public Relations Officer, SP Geoffrey Ogbonna, who confirmed the arrest to News Agency of Nigeria on Saturday, said that police operative who killed the businessman was currently in detention.

Ogbonna said that the Police Commissioner in the state, Mr Ene Okon went to Ebem Ohafia on Saturday with a team to console the family of the deceased.

An eye witness, Sunday Onwuka said the policeman on Friday shot and killed Arunsi at his shop at Ebem, in Ohafia local government area of Abia.

Onwuka said that the late businessman and his uncle, Moses, were offloading their consignment of beverages from a truck at their store at Eni Njoku Street in Ebem when some policemen walked into the shop.

He said that the policemen told Moses and Arunsi to stop offloading their goods from the truck that brought the consignment but Arunsi and his uncle asked them why they should stop.

Onwuka said that instead of giving them a reasonable response, the policemen threatened them and later walked to the police station where they signed for a gun which they allegedly used to kill Arunsi on their return.

He said that in an attempt to save Arunsi’s life, his kinsmen rushed him to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Umuahia where he was confirmed dead late on Friday.

Another source, who pleaded anonymity, said when news of Arunsi’s death broke in Ebem on Saturday morning, the youths protested with his corpse on the streets of Ebem Ohafia, after it was returned home.

He said that instead of the police authorities calming the situation, they mobilized the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) operatives to the scene of the protest.

The source said that before the SARS men arrived, the military men were calming the youths down until the SARS operatives shot at them and injured a barber, Okoro Kalu who is now in the hospital.

He said these chain of events involving Arunsi’s death and Kalu’s shooting made the youths to regroup and attacked the Ohafia  police station which they broke into and released inmates.

He said that the youths then went and burnt Ebem Customary and Magistrate Courts alongside the police quarters, DPO’s residence and some vehicles in the compound.

NAN reports that Arunsi’s death brings the number of Abia residents killed by security agents since the lockdow began on April 1 to five.

Edited By: Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Businessman in court for allegedly defrauding a housewife of N3m

Published

on

The police, on Thursday, arraigned a 44-year-old businessman, Ifeanyin Odumfere in a Grade I Area Court in Kubwa, Abuja, for allegedly defrauding a housewife of  N3 million.

The police charged Odumfere, who lives in Kubwa, with criminal breach of trust and cheating.

The Prosecution Counsel, Chinedu Agada, told the court that Stella Chike, reported the matter at the Area Command Headquarters, Kubwa, Abuja on Oct. 31  2018.

Okpa alleged that the defendant collected N3 million from the complainant to finance his gold mining project in Nasarawa State, with an agreement to pay back the money with interest within four weeks.

The prosecution alleged that the defendant defaulted and police investigations revealed that he issued four Diamond Bank cheques valued N4, 080, 000 to the complainant which were  dishonoured on presentation at the bank.

He said that the offence contravened  the provisions of sections 312 and 322 of the Penal Code.

The defendant however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The Defence Counsel, Moses Ugwummadu, prayed the court to admit his client to bail in the most liberal terms.

The Judge, Mr Muhammad Adamu, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N4 million with one reasonable surety who must reside within the court’s jurisdiction.

Adamu adjourned the case until April 21, for hearing.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also