A 45-year-old businessman, Adeshola Temowo, was on Tuesday brought before an Ogudu Magistrates’ Court, Lagos, for allegedly obtaining N4.5 million on the pretext of supplying charcoal.
Temowo, whose address was not given, however, pleaded not guilty to the three-count charge of conspiracy, obtaining money under false pretences and stealing.
The prosecutor, Insp. Lucky Ihiehie, said that the defendant committed the offences in October 2018 in Ikeja.
Ihiehie said that the defendant obtained N4.5 million from one Dr Sammy Olaniyi on the pretext of supplying him three containers of charcoal, which he failed to do.
“The complainant contacted the defendant, who claimed to be dealing on charcoal, to supply him charcoal worth N4.5 million.
“After the defendant collected the money, he refused to supply the goods, but converted the money to his personal use.
“After much pressure on him to either supply the good or refund the money, the defendant blocked all contacts the complainant could use to reach him.
“The complainant reported the case, and the defendant was arrested after attempts to track him down,” the prosecutor said.
According to him, the offences contravene Sections 287, 314(2) and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 287 stipulates three years’ jail term for stealing, while Section 314 attracts 15 years’ imprisonment for obtaining money under false pretences.
The Magistrate, Mrs Ejiro Kubeinje, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N1 million with two sureties in the like sum.
Kubeinje said that the sureties must be gainfully employed.
The case was adjourned until Aug. 27 for mention.
- Resign, aggrieved APC NEC members tell Oshiomhole
- INAC 2019: Culture agency provides free skills training
- Friendly environment: Minister urges public-private sector collaboration
- Why God’s ways remain unpredictable, incomprehensible – Don
- Air Chief pleased with maintenance progress on Alpha Jets In NAF Base
- EU tasks AU on solidarity, unity for AfCFTA to succeed
- Town Hall meeting stakeholders advocate interface reps
- Webber donates N9m sports facilities to alma mater
- Lawmaker lays foundation for block of six classrooms in Badagry
- Kwara Govt. tasks new NURTW executives on peace, unity
- Customs Comptroller-General to sack officers living above earnings
- NIS begins E-passport, biometric visa issuance in Japan
- Burundian Ambassador calls for proper funding of science innovation
- Ghanaian Parliamentarian says Nigeria closure of border affects trade
- NiMet predicts sunny, thundery activities for Saturday
- Nigeria, S’Africa mull MoU on assets recovery -Magu
- I’m not going to attempt 3rd term, says Buhari
- Army: Over 1,000 persons benefit from free medical care in Ibadan
- VC’s not against IPPIS: Prof. Kimbir
- EFCC uncovers alleged fraud of N5bn from Kwara revenue fund
- Zamfara Assembly reaffirms suspension of Shinkafi LG chairman
- Researchers find 1,000 yr old Viking-era ship in western Norway
- Police in Benue discover 3 family members dead in a room
- Iranian cleric says protest leaders deserve death sentence
- South African Airways inks deal to end eight-day strike
- WHO: Inactivity puts health of adolescents worldwide at risk
- Niger governor’s aide trains journalists on digital media
- Navy decorates 16 new Rear Admirals
- NAN acting MD, other management staff in Lafia for 2-day retreat
- FG lauds capacity to tackle public health threats
- Traders count losses over Oyingbo market closure
- SEC reviewing NSE demutualisation application, assures transparent process
- Experts say green policies, legal routes needed for climate refugees
- Osinbajo receives Oduduwa University founder at Aso Villa
- Sokoto Judgement: APC heads to Supreme Court
- Drug situation in Nigeria, public health crisis — Health Minister
- NSE All-Share Index rises by 0.44%
- Healthcare delivery: Gov. Bagudu seeks better physicians, policy makers’ synergy
- Zamfara killings: Gov. Matawalle cancels planned trip to Germany
- 265 Enugu residents benefit from Nigerian Army medical outreach
- 2020 Olympics Qualifiers: D’Tigress lands in Pot 3
- Dubai urges African countries to rejig customs service
- Court to rule on Faisal Maina’s bail application Nov. 29
- 6 migrants found dead on Libyan shoreline, UN agency says
- Trump says ‘I want a trial,’ brushes off worries on impeachment
- Expert calls for establishment of specialised bank for healthcare industry
- 18 ships arrive Lagos ports, discharge petroleum products, food items
- NIPR inducts Delta Commissioner, 144 others as members in Asaba
- Court again adjourns arraignment of 57 for alleged Homosexuality
- Market liquidity: SEC engages PENCOM, AMCON on Securities Lending