Connect with us

Sport

CAS dismisses case against Barca over Neymar transfer

Published

on

CAS dismisses case against Barca over Neymar transfer


The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has rejected Brazilian club Santos’ case against FC Barcelona, the Spanish club said in a statement on Tuesday.

Santos had dragged the La Liga champions to CAS in relation to the signing of Neymar in 2013.

They had presented a claim to football’s world governing body FIFA in 2015 asking for 61,295,000 euros (69.21 million dollars) in compensation and damages.

This was after Barca made a payment to Neymar’s father and the family company N&N before signing the Brazil forward for an initial fee of 57 million euros.

“The CAS found that the contract between Santos and Neymar was ended by mutual agreement and that FC Barcelona did not flout the transfer agreement when it paid additional fees to the player’s father and the firm N&N,” Barca said.

“FC Barcelona did not commit any fraudulent conduct when it signed a pre-transfer agreement with Neymar nor when it signed the transfer with Santos.”

The statement added that Santos had been ordered by CAS to pay Barca’s legal fees of 20,000 Swiss Francs (21,253.99 dollars).

Neymar’s transfer from his boyhood club to FC Barcelona was shrouded in legal troubles, leading Spain’s High Court to launch a fraud and corruption investigation into the player.

The Brazilian had denied any wrongdoing over the value of his transfer.

The investigation also led to Barca’s then president Sandro Rosell, who brokered the deal, resigning from the club in 2014.

Neymar enjoyed a trophy-laden four years at FC Barcelona.

He formed a world-beating front three with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez before joining Paris St-Germain (PSG) for a world record fee of 222 million euros.

Neymar then sued Barca over the partial payment of a loyalty bonus worth 26 million euros but lost the case.

He was ordered to pay his former club 6.7 million euros for breach of the last contract he signed with them in 2016.

In spite of their legal battles, the Brazilian tried to force through a return to FC Barcelona last year and refused to train with PSG at one point.

But the Catalans ultimately failed to meet the French side’s asking price.

Barca were expected to make another swoop for him this summer.

But president Josep Maria Bartomeu said on Wednesday the club were unlikely to make another offer for Neymar due to the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

OLAL

(

Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)

Olawale Alabi: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Tanker drivers start strike Monday as talks with LASG end in deadlock NCDC confirms 437 new COVID-19 case, total of infection hits 46,577 Apapa will open to traffic in October — LASG Halep to decide on United States Open after Prague event Gov. Fayemi mourns ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi Vettel says Ferrari messed up with nonsensical strategy Ekiti Govt paying lip service to healthcare delivery, say striking doctors Resumption: Academy wants COVID-19 protocol funds released directly to schools Willian confirms exit from Chelsea after 7 years Anglican Bishop urges govts to save SMEs from collapse For Europe’s “super clubs”, UEFA Champions League determines all YYA sues for peace in Ondo Assembly, condoles with Ogun over Kashamu Ilorin communities appeal to Gov. AbdulRazaq over damaged culvert NPFL 2019/2020 season: Rivers United still insisting they finished second, not third Imo Assembly restates commitment to local production through effective legislation CAN President urges FG to overhaul security apparatus  Osun: Police dismiss inspector for allegedly brutalising tailor, causing death Nimet predicts cloudy, thundery weather activities Monday to Wednesday Sanwo-Olu gives hospital’s management 7-day ultimatum to remove trucks, containers FG supports Imo farmers with 20,000 cocoa seedlings, other improved seeds COVID-19: Low attendance, strict compliance greet church re-opening in Lagos Ex-Rep wants Obaseki impeached over alleged breach of constitution NMA charges state branches to uphold values to protect members Unknown assailants kill Gov. Obiano’s aide on security DG APC Governors Forum tasks membership on participation, registration  Banditry: Monarch urges govt. to adopt new strategies Cleric tasks worshipers on COVID-19 guidelines as church services resume Kwara records 7 new cases of COVID-19 Beauty queen pledges to showcase cultural heritage of Northern Nigeria Zamfara agency sensitises communities on World Bank projects maintenance, sustainability Don’t smoke away your babies, Gynaecologist warns PDP BOT Chairman seeks conduct of LG election by INEC Community policing: FCT minister advocates involvement of council chairmen, traditional rulers Former Police boss blames security challenges on corruption, bad governance Southern Kaduna attacks: Coalition tasks locals on credible information to military Delta communities want FG to revive abandoned projects Dabiri-Erewa says Dapo William’s death great loss to Nigeria Rev Okoye urges Nigerians to return to God, shun tribalism, other vices Commission pledges to eradicate illiteracy, poverty in North-East FG, ECOWAS to host biodiversity consultation on environmental protection Journalists Forum uncovers Nigerians in critical situation in Saudi Arabia NOA urges collaboration of traditional leaders in fight against COVID-19 APC in UK pays tributes to late Dapo Williams Ekiti Govt distributes protective materials ahead Monday’s school reopening Kogi govt extends schools’ fumigation to Eastern Senatorial district Buhari mourns UK-based Nigerian, Dapo Williams COVID-19: Mosques in Ekiti ready for reopening – NSCIA COVID-19: Churches in Lagos  reopen, record  low turn out after 20 weeks of lockdown Church re-opening: Cleric wants leaders ensure compliance with COVID-19 guidelines FCTA pledges support to Suleja smart city project