The International Trade Centre (ITC) and Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC) have called for increased participation of Women-Owned Businesses (WOB) in public procurement in Nigeria.
NEPC Executive Director, Mr Olusegun Awolowo, made the called on Thursday in Abuja at a two-Day SheTrades Policy Dialogue on Promoting Women Economic Empowerment and Public Procurement, organised by ITC in collaboration with NEPC.
The SheTrades Commonwealth project aims at increasing economic growth and job creation in commonwealth countries by enabling increased participation of WOB in international trade.
The project is funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) and implemented by the ITC under the framework of SheTrades initiatives.
Awolowo said this was coming on the heels of recent report that addressing women’s inequality could add 28 trillion dollars to global Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by 2020, thereby enabling economies to unlock full potential.
Awolowo, represented by Mrs Evelyn Obidike, Director, Policy and Strategy, NEPC stated that public procurement was a powerful tool to achieve socio-economic objectives because it operated at intersection of the government’s regulatory and buying powers.
“In its combined role as buyer and policy maker, government has the opportunity to help shape and increase the participation of women-owned businesses in procurement markets.
“Public procurement policies, laws and regulations are designed based on principles of transparency, nondiscrimination, and maximum competition. These objectives can, and should include increased participation by women entrepreneurs,’’ he said.
According to him, women economic empowerment is crucial to economic growth and development, especially in emerging economies such as Nigeria.
He said that when women were economically empowered they could contribute significantly to employment generation, poverty reduction and increase in the standard of living.
“No longer does Nigeria want to export all her produce raw. We are eager to create value addition and it is female entrepreneurs that are leading this with the export of their products and services,’’ he said.
He recalled that NEPC in collaboration with the ITC inaugurated the SheTrades initiative in 2016 and the SheTrades in Commonwealth project in 2018 to empower women economically through greater participation in global trade and investment in Nigeria.
The NEPC further noted that the programmes had encouraged women entrepreneurs to register and make their businesses visible in the platform, leveraging trade as a channel for economic empowerment.
“The aim is to connect 200,000 women-owned businesses in Nigeria to international markets as part of the broader UN goal of connecting three million women by 2021.
“The initiatives equally offer a blueprint of seven global actions including public procurement, to unlock markets for women as well as a digital platform (web and mobile app) for women entrepreneurs to connect to buyers, investors and new markets.
“They provide a powerful platform that encourages stakeholders across governments and the private sector to address shortcomings and advance women’s economic empowerment.
“Gender equality and the empowerment of women is a prerequisite in achieving the Global Development Goals on Sustainable Development adopted by the UN setting forth an ambitious development agenda for 2030,’’ he said.
Appreciating ITC, he noted that the projects which were still on-going until May 2020 were very successful in Nigeria adding that it organised workshop in Lagos in 2018.
He said that the workshop targeted Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) owned by women in Textiles and Apparel, Agriculture Shea, Spices and Cashew, IT and Business Process Outsourcing (BPO).
The project, he said, had trained a total of 1,281 MSMEs owned by women on a variety of trade rated skills.
He further said that the project had connected 190 businesses to international buyers to date through support at international trade fairs, in country business linkage events, and partnership with large private sector companies.
“These activities have so far generated about 9m dollars of business leads, which the project is currently monitoring,’’ he said.
At the policy level, he said that the project was about to commence on-boarding for SheTrades Outlook, a comprehensive data platform focused on the role of women in trade and the effects of policy frameworks.
In an address, John Primose, Deputy Head of Office, DFID underscored the need for more women’s economic empowerment and listed ways by which DFID had supported.
Primose noted that economies with better gender equality could grow faster adding that bridging the gender gap in Sub-Saharan Africa could increase GDP by a staggering 34 per cent.
He explained that Nigeria’s Real GDP per capita growth could be higher by one percentage points each year if gender inequality was reduced in the region.
According to him, DFID is committed to placing women’s economic empowerment at the
heart of our approach globally and in Nigeria and helping to increase women’s role in international trade.
“Public procurement is a key driver of trade, both domestically and internationally, trade agreements are increasingly looking at the obligations of government to open public procurement opportunities to marginalised citizens,” he said.
Primose called for a very tangible framework to boost women’s access to economic opportunities which could be increased in trade, public procurement and gender.
The objective of the two-day dialogue is to develop a framework to support increased participation of women-owned business in public procurement in Nigeria.
Edited By: Donald Ugwu
- Conquerors Ladies crowned 2020 Ghana Rugby Women's Champions
- Hard work ahead for SA’s Guinness PRO14 sides
- Basketball Africa League: Transcripts of NBA players’ reactions at NBA All-Star 2020 (Saturday February 15, 2020)
- Vodacom Super Rugby Review – Round 3
- Desertification: Jigawa govt to improve nursery centres for enhanced tree seedlings production
- 2019 Army Signals’ WASA: Commander reiterates commitment to battle security challenges
- ‘Be upright, live worthy life of emulation’ – Clergy
- Buhari will not implement anti-poor policies, says BMO
- Buhari congratulates Sheik Dahiru Bauchi on Honorary Doctorate
- Basketball Africa League announces the 12 teams that will compete in Inaugural Season
- Africa: Transcript of NBA Commissioner Adam Silver's Press Conference at NBA All-Star 2020 (Saturday February 15, 2020)
- Okowa felicitates with el-Rufai at 60
- PSG draw 4-4 at Amiens after remarkable comeback
- Klopp sympathises with Guardiola after Manchester City’s European ban
- Twitter says Olympics, IOC accounts hacked
- Mane’s goal breaks Norwich resistance for Liverpool to go 25 points clear
- Edo State Sports Festival: Ikpoba-Oka LG emerge winners with 100 gold medals
- Transporters Day: Nestlé Nigeria meets with top logistics companies
- Honorary doctorate: Nasarawa Speaker rejoices with Sen. Al-Makura
- FULafia Convocation: 29 graduates bag First class degrees
- Expert says regular exercise elongates human life
- Beach Soccer Tournament: Abuja BSC humble Kwara BSC, to face Kebbi BSC in final
- Osinbajo, OBJ, Jonathan, govs attend funeral service of Udom’s father
- Duplantis breaks own pole vault world record
- NBBF referees’ workshop ends in Ilorin
- Monarch seeks more collaboration in fight against cultism
- Late Justice Tom Yakubu laid to rest amidst tears
- NGO calls for communities’ support to fight endemic drug abuse in Nigeria
- Commissioner tasks students on Ogun agric intervention programmes
- Insecurity: Utomi, Nwosu, others call for national dialogue
- Don’t allow pangolin to go into extinction, Expert urges African
- Fire razes 2 buildings at College of Agriculture, Lafia Fire
- Sports Minister pledges better welfare, exposure for athletes
- Pandemonium as Kwara D/Gov scampers at NIPOGA closing ceremony
- EPL: Vydra stunner gives Burnley win at Southampton
- Abuja Beach Soccer: Kebbi thrash Badagry 8-3
- Polio vaccination: Enugu targets 1.05m children
- Bandits kill 30 in 2 Katsina communities — Police
- 22-year-old jumps from Third Mainland Bridge
- Buhari promises to position universities to produce quality graduates
- FG approves N7 bn to support creative industry
- AfCFTA: Nigeria will excel in service delivery
- FRSC reiterates commitment to safety of roads in Kwara
- Ex- Lawmaker felicitates with Sen. Al-Makura over award of FULafia honorary doctorate degree.
- Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti wins 20th NIPOGA games
- Facebook CEO backs regulation of harmful online content
- UNILAG’s N419m research grants “heartwarming” — Official
- Gov. Bello urged to institutionalise reforms, address infrastructure deficit
- Pompeo contradicts Germany’s Steinmeier, says the West is winning
- Bayelsa: Ex-lawmaker tasks NASS on amendment of Electoral Act
- Ondo 2020: APC Unity Group to present consensus candidate for primaries
- Pan-Atlantic varsity seeks reporting for social change, trains 20 journalists
- Bishop Hammawa donates 2 boreholes to Taraba communities
- CSO urges speedy passage of Electoral Reforms Bill
- 15 states participate in Dambe traditional boxing in Yola
- FCTA to domesticate national teacher education policy
- Tinubu praises El-Rufai at 60
- Kaduna attacks: Senator calls for new strategies to tackle security challenges
- Environmentalist, waste manager laud LAWMA for clean Lagos
- Airlines apologise to passengers on flight delays, cancellations
- Gov. Sule urges use of Lafia Incubation Centre
- Presidency warns against inciting protests security chiefs
- Air chief charges 2,079 recruits to be resilient, tough, courageous
- Childhood Cancer Day: Foundation donates cash, advocates early diagnosis, care for children
- Gov. Oyetola congratulates El-Rufai @ 60
- Senate president felicitates with gov. El-Rufai at 60
- Multiple accident claims 7 lives, injures 10 in Ogun
- Police in Delta intercept trucks loaded with alleged stolen, vandalized items
- NGO charges families on improved parenting
- 4 African countries license Ebola vaccine- WHO
- Polio: 1.2m children to be immunised in Adamawa
- Lagos Assembly Commission appoints Lambo as Executive Secretary
- FG partners Ogun govt. on waterborne diseases
- NGO organises hypertension, diabetes screening for Lagos Island residents
- 250 gospel artistes for RCCG’s 9th Marathon Messiah Praise festival
- NFC introduces Masters degree programmes in Film Culture, Archival Studies
- Association lauds FG over dredging of Escravos channel
- Tippy tap transforms our lives for good, says Kebbi community
- Location of 2020 UTME centre excites Kwara community
- Attack on Radio Bayelsa: GM suspends 9 staff as NUJ seeks investigation
- Union insists on helmets to mitigate harm during crashes
- Akpata pledges support to victims of Kano Law School fire
- Economist tasks state govts on comparative advantage to boost their economy
- NGO raises alarm over increasing neglect of elderly
- NGO celebrates Valentine’s Day with senior citizens in Lagos
- NAYES appeals for incorporation in FG’s Community policing initiative in Nasarawa
- Nasarawa youth empowerment outfit appeals for incorporation in FG’s Community policing initiative
- Tariff increment: Ikeja Electric targets N170bn revenue in 2020
- Immunization: Jigawa Council targets 51, 316 children
- Police arrest suspected farm produce thief in Jigawa
- Gov. Ortom mourns late Bishop Adoboh, Catholic Bishop of Katsina-Ala Diocese
- 3 killed, 8 injured in road crash in Anambra -FRSC
- Buhari salutes Nasir el-Rufa’i at 60
- Communities laud FG over Ikot Ekpene Highway construction
- Lagos-Ibadan Rail: LASG to close Adejobi Street in Agege Sunday
- Step up your activities in addressing issues of overloading, Emir urges FRSC
- Wolves held at home by Foxes after VAR rules out goal
- NGO offers gifts to Orphanage to celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Valentine: Agape love, best remedy in promoting unity in the country — Beauty Queen
- Buratai, strategic military leader – Uzodinma
- Intra-African Trade Fair will boost participants’ opportunities – MD
- Oyo govt. to name motor park managers in 33 LGs Monday
- Coronavirus: 46,550 confirmed cases in China as it spreads to Africa
- Kebbi Govt, World Bank to upgrade girls’ schools – Gov. Bagudu
- EFCC strengthens partnership with community, religious leaders to stem corruption
- Oyo govt. to construct new classrooms in two rural schools
- Egypt’s Zamalek win African Super Cup
- Kaduna Govt. reiterates commitment to ensuring safety of children
- NYSC, EFCC pledge to engage corps members more in fight against corruption
- Why okada, tricycle ban should be sustained
- NSCDC nabs woman over alleged illegal sale of LPG in residential area
- Man City banned from European competition for 2 seasons by UEFA
- Insurgency: Cleric urges action on reconstruction of N/East
- Lassa fever: Delta lauds FG’s intervention
- FG plans re-evaluation of Ogoniland clean-up project – Abubakar
- Kaduna procurement authority opens bid for e-procurement platform for 36 states
- PDP’s Diri sworn in as Bayelsa governor, sues for peace
- Marriage Registry celebrates new couples on Valentine’s Day in Badagry
- Okowa congratulates Diri on his inauguration as Bayelsa gov.
- U.S. sanctions Sri Lanka Commander for role in extra-judicial killings
- Gwandu Emir wants FRSC to tackle extortion of drivers
- Algerians keep up protests a year after demonstrations began
- Valentine: NGO distributes school kits to 100 children in Bauchi
- NATO ready to adjust troops in Afghanistan if Taliban reduce violence
- Valentine: Kpakpando Foundation celebrates women with disabilities
- S/Court judgment: Police impose curfew in Bayelsa over violent protests
- Thai villagers turn to court in protest over Mekong dam in Laos
- Mexican president defends stance on femicide as women take to streets
- FRSC commences 2020 fleet operators retreat in Zamfara
- One of Europe’s most wanted traffickers extradited to Romania
- WHO calls Chinese health worker infections ‘sad,’ advocates training
- Edo Agency trains over 500 youths on data science, artificial intelligence
- Majorca plans measures to combat sexual abuse in children’s homes
- Let’s move on from impeachment, visiting U.S. Senators tell Ukraine’s leader
- AGF to partner GBB to enhance digitisation of public finacial sector
- Top EU official’s budget plan faces major headwinds as summit looms
- SSANU, NASU commence indefinite strike in UI
- Northern Governors congratulate Joda @ 90, laud contribution to public service
- Osun assembly acknowledges receipt of Amotekun bill
- Salaries and wages commission partners relevant stakeholders for effective performance
- APC to seek legal redress over INEC decision in Bayelsa- Oshiomhole
- Environment stakeholders call for synergy on environmental impact assessment practice
- Kanu’s parents laid to rest in Umuahia
- Buratai orders evacuation of stranded passengers on Maiduguri-Damboa road
- AI must end it’s reckless distortion of facts-DHQ
- German govt. invests 400m euros for training Nigerians in film archival
- NNPC recruits 1050 graduate trainees
- Stop Locusts In East Africa Now Or Pay Much More To Help People Later – World Food Programme (WFP)
- Kebbi Govt boosts farming, creates job opportunities – AFAN
- MINUSMA condemns the attack on Ogossagou
- NPC to set scorecard for achieving Demographic Dividend
- Valentine’s Day: Group celebrates feast at old people’s home
- Actress Mercy Aigbe asks single ladies to quit relationship with married men
- Commission receives livestock Zakkat in Sokoto
- Four countries in the African region license vaccine in milestone for Ebola prevention
- FCT Administration launches National Immunisation Plus Days, targets 976,003 children
- Brazil’s murder rate reaches lowest point in more than a decade
- Sensitise your host communities on impacts of corruption, NYSC DG urges corps members
- Gov. Zulum enjoins youths on FG’s anti corruption campaign
- Joint Border Security Patrol intercept 2 men with 42.9m CFA at Kebbi/ Niger Republic border
- Lagos govt. inaugurates 11 roads, classrooms in Bariga
- Valentine: Eateries record large turnout of customers in Ekiti
- Ogun govt. impounds 6 lorries over illegal logging
- PWDs advocate inclusive budget for access to medical facilities in PHCs
- Indian court questions interrogation of children in anti-govt play
- Insecurity: We’re taking fight to criminals’ enclaves – Gov. Bello
- PSG replace Manchester City as most financially-powerful club, report says
- Weinstein treated women like ‘ants,’ prosecutor says in rape trial
- Yobe Govt. approves N220.7m for payment of LG retirees
- Coronavirus: Preparedness high to stop importation into Nigeria- Minister
- Auchi poly warns students against exchange of money for grade
- Supporters groups urge APC to fill NWC vacant positions
- Gov. Oyetola presents N1.2bn bonds to retirees
- Trump claims has ‘legal right’ to intervene in criminal prosecutions
- Pension funds viable alternative to financing infrastructural projects – Sen. Aliero
- FG appoints Prof. Ayeleru Director of French Language Village, Badagry
- 20, 861 malnourished children treated in 2019—official
- Gov. Yahaya joins NYSC, EFCC anti-corruption match in Gombe
- Italy’s FA requests FIFA for “challenges’’ to VAR in Serie A
- Censors Board, EFCC lead youths on Walk Against Corruption campaign in FCT
- NSE moves 132.62m shares worth N1.28bn in bearish trading
- NERC chairman elected member U.S. Academy of Engineering.
- Plateau SUBEB opens bid for 130 projects
- Leukaemia: Foundation calls for law to ban selling, screening of blood
- Sudanese authorities detain Muslim Brotherhood members – Reports
- Promote culture of love for peaceful co-existence in Nigeria- CAN Spokesman
- Gov. Umahi inaugurates UN Women Climate Smart Agribusiness project
- Archery: Federation trains over 100 armed personnel
- Jigawa govt sets up committee to draft anti-corruption bill
- EFCC, NYSC hold anti-corruption awareness rally in Lagos
- Alibaba founder Jack Ma donates additional $1.4m to develop coronavirus treatments
- Alibaba founder Jack Ma donates additional $1.4m to develop coronavirus treatments
- Road accident claims 6 lives in Niger
- Imo lawmaker urges more women to participate in politics
- UEFA receives record 28.3 million ticket requests for Euro 2020
- Sex-for-grade: Exam Ethics send list of 15,550 petitions to Senate
- EFCC, NYSC stage anti-corruption road walk, sensitise public against corruption
- CAF Executive Committee says PricewaterhouseCoopers report contains unfounded allegations
- NIS pledges transparency in VoA operations
- Gov. Okowa urges youths to join fight against corruption