South Korean peacekeeping troops on Friday departed for home from South Sudan on a chartered flight, the defense ministry said, as the arrival of a replacement contingent is delayed due to coronavirus concerns.
The Seoul government-arranged Ethiopian Airlines flight took off from the African nation at around 9:50 p.m. (12.30 p.m. GMT) to bring home roughly 200 service members of the 270-strong Hanbit Unit after their nine-month rotational mission.
“After a stopover in Ethiopia, the plane is expected to land at Incheon International Airport at around 11:10 a.m. local time on Saturday,’’ the ministry said, adding that the service members are scheduled to be self-quarantined for two weeks.
The military authorities decided to take the service personnel home to guarantee their right to vote in the parliamentary elections slated for April 15, and some service members are set to be discharged from the military next month.
According to the ministry, the remaining troops will stay there to perform basic surveillance duties until a replacement contingent arrives.
“We will continue to make diplomatic efforts, including consultations with the host nation and the UN.
“To also swiftly send the new 12th batch at the earliest possible date so as to make the Hanbit Unit carry out normal operations,’’ the ministry said in a release.
South Korea began troop deployments to the war-torn nation in 2013 at the UN’s request in accordance with a UN Security Council resolution aimed at assisting peaceful reconstruction work.
The African nation declared its independence from its Arab-dominated northern neighbour Sudan in July 2011 after decades of civil war that killed over two million people.
As of Friday, South Korea had 9,332 COVID-19 infections, including 139 deaths.
Across the globe, over 530,000 cases have been reported so far, and over 24,000 have died.
Edited By: Abiodun Oluleye/Isaac Aregbesola
- U.S. VP Pence’s press secretary returns to work after testing positive
- LatAm economic climate index falls to three-decade low
- U.S. Texas further opens up amid pandemic
- LASG cautions developers against roads abuse
- Spotlight: Europeans continue to heal economic wounds, infections top 2 mln
- Ratcliffe sworn in as U.S. spy chief
- COVID-19: Gov. El-Rufai extends Kaduna lockdown by 2 weeks
- Romania to take new relaxation measures from June 1: minister
- PDP hails FG over successes against banditry, other crimes in Zamfara
- Roundup: New York Stock Exchange partially reopens as U.S. COVID-19 deaths near 100,000
- New York governor rings opening bell at exchange as traders return
- Teenage Saruni dreams of debut Olympics in Tokyo
- Feature: Pandemic-hit Ecuador faces uncertain economic future, say experts
- ‘Presidential directive’ on 150 memos is fake news – Presidency
- 875 people commit suicide during lockdown period in Nepal
- 3 U.S. soldiers wounded in ambush attack in eastern Syria
- Tinubu commiserates with Telegraph Newspaper over Editor’s death
- COVID-19: Let’s put our trust in Allah to end pandemic – Ife Chief Imam
- Germany to extend contact restrictions untill June 29
- Bayern Munich with one hand on league title after 1-0 win at Dortmund