Chile on Wednesday said the total number of people who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus has climbed to 282,043.
The death toll from COVID-19 climbed to 5,753 after 65 more patients died in the past 24 hours, the Health Ministry said.
Over the same 24-hour period, tests detected 2,650 new cases of infection, including 2,134 that presented symptoms and 300 that were asymptomatic.
Currently, 30,847 cases are considered to be active, either receiving hospital treatment or recovering in quarantine at 151 isolation centers established by the government.
According to Health Minister Enrique Paris, lockdown measures in the capital Santiago and its metropolitan area, as well as other regions, will continue for another week.
- Few students turn up as schools resume in Edo
- WAEC: Kano Govt to deploy more teachers for revision in schools
- FRSC impounds 3 articulated vehicles as ” Operation Scorpion II” begins in Oyo
- New daily virus cases fall below 30 as church-linked infections again loom larger
- Coy pump oil from stranded freighter in Mauritius
- Netanyahu’s Likud party gives unity government ‘last chance’
- Iran warns foreign powers against interference after Lebanon blast
- French, Nigerien soldiers hunt for gunmen who killed aid workers
- Coronavirus: Namibia’s dairy industry fighting for survival
- Environmentalist calls for adoption of eco-friendly products to curb plastic pollution