This is the first road design and construction project undertaken by a Chinese company in Romania.
Sun Zhiming, country representative of PowerChina in Romania, signed the contract in Zalau with Mariana Ionita, general director of Romanian National Company of Road Infrastructure Administration (CNAIR), the owner of the project.
Romanian Minister of Transport Lucian Nicolae Bode attended the signing ceremony and expressed his belief that the builders will complete the project on time and with high-quality results, thus laying a foundation for further development in the Romanian market.
The total length of the four-lane highway is 5.5 kilometers, with five viaducts and two bridges across multiple valleys and vineyards. The design speed is 60-80 kilometers per hour.
PowerChina, leading a joint venture with a local company in Zalau, won the bid for the project earlier this month.
15 countries purchase Russia’s Avifavir COVID-19 medication – Direct Investment Fund
Russia says it is delivering its Avifavir medication against COVID-19 to 15 countries already.
Kirill Dmitriev, the head of the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), which took part in the creation of the remedy, disclosed this to Russia-24 broadcaster in an interview.
“We can boast great achievements in this area, as the medication has been delivered to over 15 countries,” Dmitriev said.
“This is really important, as there are in fact only two international antiviral drugs that are delivered to a certain number of countries: the United States’ Remdesivir and the Russian Avifavir.
“Ninety per cent of the produced Remdesivir have been purchased by the United States
Earlier on Monday, Kromis — a joint venture of the RDIF and the ChemRar pharmaceutical company — announced it had reached agreement on Avifavir deliveries to South Africa and seven countries in Latin America.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)
Murray says players need assurance on quarantine issues before United States Open
Former world number one Andy Murray made this disclosure in an interview granted in London.
The competition is due to be played from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13.
The Western & Southern Open, which was relocated from Cincinnati this year because of COVID-19, will also be held in New York from Aug. 20 to 28.
It will serve as a tune-up for the hard court Grand Slam.
The two major clay court events in the lead up to Roland Garros are in Madrid (Sept. 13 to Sept. 20) and Rome (Sept. 20 to Sept. 27).
While Spain does not require mandatory quarantine, Italy will need travelers to quarantine for 14 days if coming from the United States
The USTA has said the organisers are working with relevant authorities to resolve issues.
“My understanding is that it would be sorted before we go to the United States But things can change in the next 10 to 12 days,” Murray said.
“Hopefully before we leave, the players will have the assurances that, when they come back from the United States, they won’t have to quarantine for two weeks.
“If that is the case, and if you do well in the United States Open, you can’t just arrive on the Sunday before the French Open starts on the Monday. That’s not going to work.”
The United States has over 4.68 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 with more than 155,000 deaths.
Murray, a three-times Grand Slam winner, has not played competitively since November due to hip problems.
But he took part in some exhibition events recently with the professional circuit shut.
The 33-year-old said he was willing to take the travel “risk” as he missed playing in big events.
“(With) the situation I’ve been in the last few years, I’ve not had opportunity to play in many Slams. I don’t know how many I’ll have left,” Murray said.
“So, while I’m feeling relatively decent … obviously there is a risk there. But I want to try and play in them and enjoy the biggest events again.”
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)
China’s manufacturing sector shows strong recovery – Survey
China’s manufacturing activity expanded in July at the fastest pace in almost a decade, according to a private survey released on Monday, though employment continued to drop in the wake of the coronavirus crisis.
The Caixin/Markit Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) came in at 52.8 for July, compared to 51.2 in June.
A reading above 50 indicates expansion, while one below shows contraction.
The survey indicates the quickest monthly expansion of manufacturing output and new orders since January 2011.
Meanwhile, new business from overseas fell at the slowest rate in six months.
The index beat analysts’ expectations and comes as China has largely contained the coronavirus crisis and most companies have resumed operations.
Nevertheless, employment dropped for the seventh consecutive month.
While some companies hired more workers to meet production needs, others laid off employees to cut costs, the survey showed.
“To increase employment, manufacturers will need more time and confidence,” said Wang Zhe, senior economist at Caixin Insight Group.
Official manufacturing data released last week also indicated a recovery.
The official manufacturing PMI came in at 51.1 in July compared to 50.9 in June.
China’s economy grew by 3.2 per cent in the second quarter of the year, according to official data, after contracting 6.8 per cent in the first quarter due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)
German state premier to support town affected by United States troop withdrawal
The premier of the German state of Rhineland-Palatinate has pledged support to one of the regions affected by the withdrawal of United States troops from Germany.
“Whatever happens (at the military base) in Spangdahlem in the end – and we hope it will be very little – the state will of course support the local council and municipalities with the necessary measures,” Malu Dreyer said on Monday during talks with local officials.
The main aim was to maintain the United States military base in Spangdahlem and for the United States announcement to be reversed, the minister said.
“We are fighting for the site,” Dreyer added.
In the past week, the United States announced it would transfer F-16 fighter jets stationed in the town in the west of Germany to Italy, affecting around half of the 4,000 soldiers living at the air base.
The United States airforce said the base in Spangdahlem would continue to operate despite the troop withdrawal, though plans are not final yet.
Around 11,000 people live at the air base, including relatives.
United States President Donald Trump has announced the United States would withdraw about 12,000 troops stationed in Germany.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)