Connect with us

Foreign

Chinese mainland reports 9 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, all imported

Published

on

Chinese mainland reports 9 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, all imported


Chinese health authority said on Thursday that it received reports of nine new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland on Wednesday and  that all of them were imported.

Of the nine new imported cases, three were reported in Liaoning and Shanghai each, two in Guangdong and one in Sichuan, the National Health Commission said in its daily report.

No new deaths related to the disease or new suspected cases were reported.

On Wednesday, 42 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery.

By the end of Wednesday, a total of 1,958 imported cases had been reported on the mainland.

Of them, 1,884 had been discharged from hospitals after recovery, and 74 remained hospitalised, with no one in serious conditions.

No deaths from the imported cases had been reported.

As of Wednesday, the overall confirmed cases on the mainland had reached 83,581 including 357 patients who were still being treated, with five in severe conditions.

Altogether 78,590 people had been discharged after recovery, and 4,634 had died of the disease on the mainland, the commission said.

The commission said five people, including two from outside the mainland, were still suspected of being infected with the virus.

According to the commission, 3,840 close contacts were still under medical observation after 706 people were discharged from medical observation Wednesday.

Also on Wednesday, six new asymptomatic cases, including five from outside the mainland, were reported and one asymptomatic case was re-categorized as a confirmed case.

The commission said 112 asymptomatic cases, including 79 from outside the mainland, were still under medical observation.

As of Wednesday, 1,323 confirmed cases including seven deaths had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 46 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 449 in Taiwan including seven deaths.

A total of 1,167 COVID-19 patients in the Hong Kong SAR, 45 in the Macao SAR, and 438 in Taiwan had been discharged from hospitals after recovery.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Emmanuel Yashim: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

COVID-19

COVID-19: Virologist urges scientific proof for discoveries

Published

on


Dr Solomon Chollom, a Virologist and medical laboratory scientist, on Monday urged scientists to always embrace appropriate scientific communication as key to eliminating the various controversies, especially around the COVID-19 pandemic.


Chollom in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria , in Jos called on scientists to regroup and reconsider their approach to science communication in this era of the pandemic.

He said that the current spate of controversies and conspiracy theories about the Coronavirus were either manufactured or circulated by people who were not core medical scientists.

He decried the way some medical scientists neglected the proper culture of scientific communication and adopted other means of forcing their claims on the public.

“Scientist should endeavour to present clear scientific data to appropriate approving authorities to verify their claims and to pass an objective verdict.

“Appropriate scientific communication is done through scientific publications, which may either be full length research papers, case reports or even short communication.

“Evidences or claims should be presented in a documented manner through scientifically approved journals or editorials, and the scientific community must read and perform systematic reviews or meta-analysis of the data generated,” he said.

The scientist noted that unfortunately there was an upsurge in verbal, emotional, confrontational and near political crusades by some medical scientists who had either resorted to the use of social media platforms or some conventional media.

This act, he said, fell short of their expectations as scientists and weakened the scientific engagement on peer review platforms.

“I urge scientists to regroup and reconsider their approach to science communication in this era of the pandemic as it would eliminate unnecessary controversies.

“Efforts should also be geared toward generating information and inventions that the world so long for to tackle the pandemic.”

The virologist noted that controversies were part of the evolution of new knowledge or paradigm shift in science.

He, however, added that new knowledge must be communicated rightly with modesty, clear and verifiable evidence to back up claims.

Edited By: Oluyinka Fadare/Donald Ugwu (NAN)

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Monarch urges strict adherence to COVID-19 protocols

Published

on


Oba Mufutau Oyekanmi, the traditional ruler of Asipa (the Alasipa of Asipa)  Ilufemilloye Fashina V111,


near Ipetumodu in Osun State, has urged Nigerians to support the government on strict adherence to COVID-19 protocols

to curtail the spread of Coronavirus across the country.

He made the call on Monday at Asipa in Ife North Local Government Area of Osun when he met with some journalists in his palace.

The monarch commended the efforts of the local, state and Federal Government on measures put in place to ensure safety of lives of the citizenry in tackling

the pandemic.

Oyekanmi said “recently, government took bold steps at the right time to curtail the spread of Coronavirus by not allowing congregational prayers.

“Some people were not happy with the ban of the Muslim Eid festival prayer by the Osun State Government but it is simply because of us so we

can celebrate many more of Eid el-Kabir.

“We thank God by sparing our lives to witness this because it’s the living that celebrates.”

Sikiru Ayedun, former Osun State Commissioner for Home Affairs, Culture and Tourism, said

that the government’s action was worthy of emulation as it tried to reduce human contact to curtail COVID-19 infections.

Ayedun said that the order of the state government on no Eid prayer for the 2020 Eid-el-Kabir was because of the COVID-19 “and a

test of faith.

“Whatever people are doing today is part of sacrifice, because at this point in time, our faith is being tested.”

The former commissioner assured that at the end of the tunnel, there would be a new dawn, but Nigerians should seek peace,

tranquility and live with one another in brotherliness.

Alhaji Eluyera Oyewole, former Education Secretary, Ife South Local Government, Ifetedo, Osun State, said that “everyone has

now realised that COVID-19 is real and that the pandemic is killing both the rich and the poor.

“Osun State Government did not make mistake in banning congregational prayer for the Eid el-Kabir festival, for this can increase human contact

during celebrations and that can cause more infections.

“Thank God for our government that is 100 per cent proactive, by doing the needful, else, it will have spread the virus.

“Government is doing its best; we urge for support from all by obeying the COVID-19 protocols.”

In the same vein, Alhaji Fatai Kolawole, former Permanent Secretary, Osun State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), commended

the efforts of the state government for trying to save the lives of the citizenry against COVID-19.

Kolawole said that banning congregational prayer for this year’s festival was a welcome idea, saying this is just for a brief period as it would not last forever.

He asked everybody to co-operate with government on directives given, adding that“COVID-19 is a joint task that government alone cannot fight.

“Very soon, COVID-19 will be eradicated, whereby things will be normalised educationally, economically, socially.”

He urged all and sundry to co-operate with local, state and Federal Government in curbing the spread of the Coronavirus by strictly adhering

to the use of face mask, regular washing of hands with soap and sanitizer, as well as keeping social distance, among others.”

Edited By: Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Education

Bayelsa Govt. promises safety of students as schools reopen Aug.5

Published

on


Bayelsa Government says it is taking steps to ensure that schools are safe to allow final year students to resume and participate in external examinations as directed by the Federal Government.


Messrs Freston Akpor and Walter Liverpool, Permanent Secretaries of Ministries of Information and Education, respectively assured that the government was doing its best to protect students and teachers.

They said that government was already fumigating schools across the state as well as providing hand washing facilities and urged parents and communities to complement the efforts of the government.

Akpor, who is a member of the Bayelsa COVID-19 Task Force, said that Gov. Douye Diri of the state who chairs the Task Force had approved the deployment of health professionals to schools while temporary isolation facilities would be put in place in schools.

“The government of Bayelsa has been working to get our schools ready and safe for our children and that is why we have scheduled a train the trainers programme to acquaint schools with COVID-19 safety protocols.

“The essence is to build capacity of our people and update them with the guidelines from the Federal Government on the reopening of schools that is why we are taking our time and shifted the resumption for final year students to Aug. 5.

“Government is providing face masks, infrared thermometers and access to water for schools without water supply, alternative arrangements are in place and we are poised to check the spread of the coronavirus.

“In view of the questionable and low quality of hand sanitisers, we are emphasising frequent hand washing with soap and water and we appeal to members of the public as well as parents and guardians to complement the efforts government is making.

“Parents should for example provide additional face masks for their wards so that for instance when they wash the ones provided in schools, they can have a spare one,” Akpor said.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the state government has scheduled a COVID-19 prevention training programme for private and public schools to ensure safety protocols are complied with when schools resume on Aug 5.

Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Obike Ukoh (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Sport

Sen. Ubah, Obikwelu return as Anambra FA Chairman, Vice through e-voting

Published

on


Sen. Ifeanyi Ubah, President of FC Ifeanyi Ubah has been re-elected as Chairman of Anambra State Football Association (AnSFA) for a second term, in an election conducted through electronic voting on Sunday.


Jude Obikwelu, a long time vice-chairman of the association was returned unopposed.

The result of the elections was signed by Jude Anayadufu, chairman of the 2020 AnSFA electoral committee and issued to newsmen by Obinna Dike, Head of Media and Publicity, on Monday  in Awka.

Philip Balepo, a veteran journalist was also elected into the board as a first timer.

Other elected members of the board were Joe Amene, Uduh Kingsley, Amuzie Cyprain, Obiefune Collins, Adinnu Okezie and Ada Edward.

Elections were also successfully conducted into 19 Local Football Councils (LFC) while in Orumba South, forms were returned late and bye election would be held on a later date.

“The elections held on August 2, 2020 with Obinna Dike as the Returning Officer for the LFC, while Godwin Madubuko was the Returning Officer for the Board Elections.

“In the LFC elections, there was a tie in the Chairmanship position for Onitsha South with option of a coin toss. A bye election will be conducted for Orumba South LFC which returned forms late. Other 19 LFCs were through”, the statement said.

“The Electoral Committee thanks the candidates, delegates, agents, stakeholders, media and the government for their collaboration in ensuring a smooth electoral process.

“Appreciation also goes to the Nigeria Football Federation and Sports Ministry for their roles in the elections,” it stated.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Anambra FA elections originally scheduled for July 27 and July 28 were suspended on the orders of the state government that it would violate COVID-19 rules.

The election had reached advanced stage with conclusion of sales and return of forms, screening, appeal and final briefing for all candidates and delegates eligible to participate in the quadrennial election before it was called off by government.

The electoral committee communicated the development to the AnSFA which met and gave it powers to conduct the election through virtual processes.

Edited By: Angela Okisor/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists COVID-19: Virologist urges scientific proof for discoveries Monarch urges strict adherence to COVID-19 protocols Expert seeks special task force to tackle environmental challenges Court sentences man to 1 year imprisonment for stealing water tank  `NDDC yet to pay contractors that handled road projects I facilitated’-Orji Kalu Bayelsa Govt. promises safety of students as schools reopen Aug.5 Sen. Ubah, Obikwelu return as Anambra FA Chairman, Vice through e-voting China’s manufacturing sector shows strong recovery – Survey Work resumes in Osun after Eid-el-Kabir holiday Lebanese foreign minister resigns to protest government’s poor performance German state premier to support town affected by United States troop withdrawal Study finds people can transmit coronavirus to cats, dogs Tougher COVID-19 measures as Melbourne closes retail shops, pubs Toxic alcohol death toll crosses 100 in India as 30 arrested Israeli army says it hit squad placing explosives along Syria border NIPOST: LCCI wants regulatory framework reviewed  Huge Berlin coronavirus protest sparks debate over right to assemble Trump furious after Appeal Court overturns Boston bomber death penalty Thomas back as golf number one after winning in Memphis Boat mishap: NIWA to deregister indicted operators COVID-19: Nigeria reports 304 fresh infections; death toll hits 888 Genoa survive again, Lecce relegated on Serie A season’s final day NiMet predicts cloudy, thundery weather activities Monday to Wednesday Hagi no longer manager of his own club No reason for Swiss authorities to investigate Infantino, FIFA says Nollywood actor urges youths in Rivers to shun cultism CAN calls for action to stop Kaduna killings Tanzania plans to renovate livestock markets nationwide to boost output COVID-19: Cleric assures Christians of victory, urges them to give thanks Tribal association honours illustrous sons, daughters in Kogi 22-year-old man drowns in Kano Three dead in attack on Afghan jail, scores of prisoners flee Shipping Institute urges FG to re-engage Global West in fight against piracy France to push for rights sanctions in EU recovery plan – Minister APC governors pledge commitment to end terrorism COVID-19: Lagos discharges 31 Nigerians, 6 foreigners FRSC commences prosecution of tricycle rider in viral video Police, vigilante recover firearm from suspected armed robbers in Bayelsa Ibadan group demands indigene as UI, UCH heads  Vigilante group urges LG authorities to review monthly allowance Fasanmi: Fayemi constitutes burial c’ttee Ikpeazu sacks Transport Commissioner, others New yams flood Onitsha markets New national forest policy will preserve ecosystems — Minister Nasarawa Killing : Gov. Sule charges community to fish out criminals Why Gemade, others returned to APC–Spokesman Carefree attitude of Nigerians leads to national spread of COVID-19-  Expert Ondo poll: AAC vows to sue INEC for replacing party’s deputy gov’s name  Senate President felicitates Omo-Agege at 57 Edo 2020: Lawmaker pledges support for Ize-Iyamu