Some Clerics from the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) in Gombe have urged Nigerians to imbibe the spirit of praying for leaders in the country and not to castigate them.
The clerics made the call while addressing newsmen during the dedication of the RCCG Provincial Headquarters and Secretariat in Gombe on Sunday.
Mr Deji Afuye, Pastor-in-charge of Region 17, RCCG, told newsmen that Nigerian leaders need our prayers to succeed, saying that the task of leadership was a serious responsibility that needed a lot of encouragement through prayers.
Afuye explained that when Nigerians imbibed the culture of praying for their leaders and the land, things would get better for everyone to benefit from the results of our collective prayers.
“Every leader in the land is appointed by God; no leader falls from the sky. The Bible tells us to pray for leaders and the good of Jerusalem and they that love it shall eat the good thereof.
“We are praying for the country daily. It has become a standing order; particularly as our Daddy, Pastor Enoch Adeboye told us to pray a prayer of mercy for Nigeria and we are doing that.
“Christians should live by praying for those in authority. If you see anybody who says he is a Christian and he is castigating leaders, check his background, he is not likely to be born again.
“Things will get better when we assist our leaders and country with prayers. We have no other home than Nigeria and we owe it a duty to pray for the good of the country.
“Nigeria is our Jerusalem. Since I came in here I know I belong to the Northeast and I don’t have any other place to go for now. My own state is not my state for now,’’ he said.
Afuye also advised leaders to be sincere and faithful in discharging their responsibilities, saying that sincerity and faithfulness remain the recipe for peace in the country.
“Nothing makes for peace more than sincerity and faithfulness. Our leaders should be sincere and faithful.
“When leaders cover evil, there will be crisis. Let’s be sincere in our call to duty,’’ he said.
Afuye called for more support, saying that the RCCG team in Borno was making impact in the Northeast by regularly rendering assistance to the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in the area.
Also speaking, Mr Gabriel Wayas, the Pastor in charge of the newly-inaugurated provincial headquarters, said that he felt happy that the church, which is the first provincial headquarters was being dedicated.
Wayas described the event as a major breakthrough in Gombe.
He said: “This is God bringing honey out of the rock and I am very excited. Thank You Jesus.’’
Wayas also called for more prayers for the country and the leaders, especially by the youths, saying that youths must pray for our leaders if they hope to become leaders in the future.
While urging youths to desist from drug abuse, he called on parents to monitor their children against peer’s influence which he noted was attributed as the major cause of drug abuse.
- Court sentences mechanic to 2 years in prison for reckless driving, causing hurt
- South African Airways cancels almost all flights for Friday, Saturday
- 2 men in court over alleged unlawful possession of cartridges
- Nigerian Armed Forces shine at international sports
- 2 years since arrest, Cambodian journalists await spying verdict
- Exiled Cambodian opposition leader arrives Indonesia
- Italian police seize over a tonne of cocaine in banana container
- Kogi elections: Group urges politicians to eschew violence, hate speech
- 17 injured in blasts at south-eastern Turkey Ammunition depot
- Philippines deports 312 Chinese nationals for telecom fraud
- Indian court delays ruling on ban on women entering Hindu temple
- Health Training Initiative increases accreditation status, academic performance – Registrar
- Oil rises after OPEC’s Barkindo says U.S. shale growth may slow in 2020
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat