The Nigerian Conservation Foundation (NCF) on Friday in Lagos ended its week-long events on climate action with a tree planting campaign to highlight the importance of tree to the environment.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the theme of the event was “2019 National Climate Action Week, Promoting Nature Based Investment Coastal Resilience in Nigeria.”
Mrs Desmond Majekodunmi, who led the rally which ended at Alausa, presented their demands on climate change action to the Governor’s Office.
“Government should encourage the use of renewable energy that is environment friendly by people and at the same time reduce the use of electricity generators that is constantly releasing carbon emissions into the atmosphere.
“Government can encourage this by subsidising the cost of acquiring solar panels to people to make the masses key into renewable energy source,’’ he said.
NCF Climate Change Programme Lead Manager, Mr Solomon Adefolu, said that government should advance electricity generation, transmission and distribution to discourage people from sourcing alternative energy.
According to him, most alternative energy sources available to the people are unhealthy and harmful to the environment.
“If government could be subsidising fuel that is even harmful to the environment, they should do more on renewable energy source that is environment friendly,’’ he said.
Convener of Urban Tree Revival Team (UTRT), Ms Omobola Eko, said that planting of more trees would aid the environment to absorb carbon in the air.
Eko urged the government to dedicate Fridays as an environment care day to enable people tender to trees and other environment needs.
Mr Kolawole Hundeni, a Director in the Governor’s Office, received the groups demands on behalf of the state government.
Edited & Vetted By: Wale Ojetimi
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad
- Sun Publishing Limited wants Justice Minister’s intervention as EFCC threatens to seal headquarters
- APC remains strong, intact in Zamfara — Yari
- Bournemouth stun Chelsea 1-0 away to end losing streak
- Group advocates women empowerment to check gender-based violence
- Lawmaker condoles with Mimiko, says mother death, great loss to Ondo
- 2 NGOs collaborate to clean up Lagos for healthy environment
- Buhari tasks universities on IGR for sustainable education
- Arts, cultural exchange strengthen relationships between countries – Emirati Artist
- Ismael, Akuso win maiden Ikogosi-Ekiti 10-km race
- CITN confers fellowship on 329, calls for professionalism
- NANS commends Gov. Oyetola for tackling youth unemployment in Osun
- Gov. AbdulRazaq reiterates commitment to Kwara’s socio-economic growth
- Bayern Munich batter Werder Bremen as Borussia Dortmund dominate Mainz
- Akeredolu condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Ogun lawmaker donates equipment to health facilities in constituency
- Inclusive education: Stakeholders urge training of more special teachers
- Ethiopian Airlines to launch 3 weekly flights to Houston Monday
- Shareholders seek more mergers, acquisitions in cement industry
- Golf: U.S. fight back to leave Presidents Cup in the balance
- Salah scores twice as Liverpool sink struggling Watford
- Yuletide: Enugu FRSC seeks collaboration with state traffic agency
- Eko Disco records highest remittance efficiency in Q2, says NERC
- Doctors map out measures to forestall litigations over management of patients’ ailments
- Osinbajo in Ikenne, celebrates Otunba Adesina at 80
- Group wants Nigerians to imbibe waste management culture, recycling
- FG pledges to enhance operations of River Basin Development Authorities in 2020
- Soldiers clean up Ojuelegba axis of Lagos to enhance civilian/military relations
- Enugu hospital turns to pilgrimage ground as residents catch glimpse of quadruplets
- Poor Salary: Kaduna joint tertiary institution unions shelve planned strike
- NIMASA chief urges regular exercise to stay healthy, enhance productivity
- Expert urges Nigerians to imbibe savings culture
- Navy employs weight control mechanism to promote fitness
- Exhibit more political will in tackling nation’s security challenges, Cleric advises FG
- Gospel singer charges youths to start small, be humble
- Yuletide: Curfew, ban of fireworks still effective in Borno -Police