An Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court, on Friday granted a 19-year-old cobbler Sunday Lekan, N100, 000 bail, following his arraignment for alleged theft.
Lekan was docked on allegation of stealing a Tecno phone worth N28, 500 at a BetNija shop.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs S.K. Matepo, asked Lekan to produce two sureties as part of the bail conditions.
Matepo ordered that the sureties must be gainfully employed with evidence of two years tax payment to Lagos State Government,
The defendant, a resident of No 7 Daramola Kazeem St., Egan, Igando, Lagos, is facing a two-count-charge of conspiracy and stealing, to which he pleaded not guilty.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Sgt. Adetutu Sanusi, told the court that the defendant committed the offences with some others still at large, on June 11, at 2.00 p.m. at No. 15 Joseph Abume St., Igando.
Sanusi said the defendant stole the phone, belonging to the complainant, Mr Chidi Akabunwa.
She said the defendant stole the complainant’s phone containing a memory card from where it was plugged to charge its battery at a BetNija shop.
“The complainant plugged his phone with a memory card in it, at a BetNija shop when the defendant unplugged it and ran away.
“He later caught the defendant and reported the case at a police station,” the prosecutor said.
Sanusi said the offences violated sections 287 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).
News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 411 stipulates two years imprisonment for conspiracy, while Section 287 attracts three years for stealing.
The case was adjourned until Aug. 5, for further hearing.
- Sabre researcher says tourism revenue in Africa Could Increase by 27%
- Police rescue another boy kidnapped in Kano, arrest 3 suspects
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Zimbabwe banks start dispensing new bank notes
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed
- Insurgency: Nigerian Army seeks support from NEDC