Connect with us

General news

Communal conflicts: Peace committee decries killing of 2 in Ebonyi community

Published

on

Prof. Francis Idike, the Chairman of the Igbeagu-Izzi Peace Committee in Ebonyi, has decried the recent killing of two Ndunwampfu natives in Igbeagu Autonomous Community of the state during an alleged invasion of the area.

News Agency of Nigeria reports that the committee was set up by the state government to find a lasting solution to the persistent inter-communal conflicts between Igbeagu in Izzi Local Government Area (LGA) and their neighbouring Ukelle community in Yala LGA of Cross River.

Addressing newsmen at Izzi on the progress so far made by the committee, Idike expressed displeasure over the killings, coming after a two-month ceasefire by the two communities.

He said that the Igbeagu community wanted the state government to find a lasting solution to the problem.

He said that while the remains of one of the victims, David Nkwede, were recovered and deposited at a mortuary in the area, those of Dennis Nwaogayi, had yet to be found.

He also said that late Nwede’s wife and two of his children, who were abducted during the clash, had been released.

He blamed the last incident on a reprisal attack which, he said, posed a major challenge to the committee.

He said that the major objective of the committee was to put a stop to the incessant killings and confrontation between the two communities.

Idike said: “As part of our aims, we have established cordial relationship with the Ukelle people, which was accepted by them.

“For two months now, there has not been any unwanted incident which shows that our efforts towards making peace are working.

“Also in the process, we have maintained a good rapport with the military and I think we are succeeding, except for the recent attack.”

He appealed for mutual understanding and agreement between the two parties in order to permanently put a stop to the wanton killings and destruction of people’s property.

“We request that we have a meeting of delegates from both parties to initiate discussion on ways to achieve the desired peace.

“Our mutual desire is to seek ways to irrevocably resolve our persisting conflicts,” Idike said.

Mr John Nwenyi, a member of the committee, promised that the committee would continue to explore ways to restore normalcy in the affected communities.

“Boundary demarcation is our demand, we want it to be done so that peace will return, while we continue to preach peace,” Nwenyi said.

General news

Fashola rewards 50 productive, diligent staff

Published

on

The Minister of Works and Housing (FMWH), Mr Babatunde Fashola,  on Tuesday rewarded 50 most outstanding members of staff of the ministry for productivity and diligence in service delivery.

Fashola gave the awards at the 2018 Recognition and Reward Ceremony for staff of the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing in Abuja.

“The award being the maiden edition included the members of staff from the ministry of power, because the selection of the awardees was carried out in 2018 before the separation of the ministries,’’ he said.

He said the award became necessary so as to encourage better productivity from the staff.

The minister said the ministry deemed it fit to reward members of staff who were outstanding in  doing their jobs.

“We should always look after our environment; let us own the environment and space we work in so as to improve it not only for ourselves, but for all Nigerians.

“There are so many people you will never meet, whose lives we must have affected through the work you do such as hospital or road you helped to build.

“So if we commit ourselves we will make them happier people,’’ he said.

The minister said that the success of any government depended on the input of civil servants.

He said if civil servants were committed to carrying out their duties diligently it would impact positively on productivity which evolves the economy.

Fashola added that civil and public servants were one per cent that decided what happens to the remaining 99 per cent of the large population.

The minister, therefore, advised that all civil servants should do all necessary things to ensure that injustice, inequality and poverty were eliminated from the country.

He, however, congratulated the awardees and admonished them to keep on the hard work, saying the reward called for more work.

Fashola also called on all civil servants to always dress well to their offices as such would project the office in a positive image.

The Chairman, Federal Civil Service Commission, Dr Bello Ingawa, said the award was in line with Civil Service Rules and should be sustained and emulated by other Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).

Represented by Mr Fatai Adebayo, Federal Commissioner, Oyo/Osun, Civil Service Commission, Ingawa noted that it was imperative to commend and motivate efficient and  effective  civil servants to encourage productivity.

Alhaji Mohammed Bukar, Permanent Secretary, FMWH, said that the aim was to motivate  deserving staff to encourage better service delivery.

Represented by Mr Ahmed Abdul, the Acting Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Power, Bukar commended the ministry for such initiative, saying that it would challenge other members of staff to sit up.

“It is my pleasure to be part of this rewarding exercise of some deserving staff of the ministry, whose performances have been assessed and indeed they were outstanding,’’ he said.

The awardees included one from the directorate cadre, 33 from the senior cadre and 16 from the junior cadre.

The awardees were given cash, plaques among other things.

/JCE

Edited by Kabir Muhammad/Chukwudi Ekezie

Continue Reading

General news

Group calls for more awareness on ‘killer robots’ among ECOWAS members states

Published

on

The International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA), has called on relevant stakeholders to create more awareness among ECOWAS member states and promote political commitment to stop ‘killer robots’.

The made the call in a Communique signed by the Coordinator of IANSA, Ms Mimido Achakpa, at the end of a one-day roundtable in Abuja on Tuesday on the Campaign to Stop ‘Killer Robots’.

Nigeria News Agency reports that fully autonomous weapons, also known as “killer robots,” were made to select and engage targets without meaningful human control.

Precursors to these weapons, such as armed drones, are being developed and deployed by nations including China, Israel, South Korea, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.

“The involvement of African States, Media, Civil Societies and other relevant stakeholders can play a pivotal role in enhancing the protection of civilians and other citizens from the harm caused by fully autonomous weapons in a time when armed conflicts are increasingly fought in population centres.

The group said the ‘Campaign to Stop Killer Robots’ was an inclusive and diverse coalition across the globe comprised of NGOs, community groups, and professional associations that support the campaign and the call for a ban on Fully Autonomous Weapons.

It stated that activities in support to ban Killer Robots currently had membership of 93 organisations in 53 countries.

“Over the past decade, the expanded use of unmanned armed vehicles globally has dramatically changed warfare, bringing new humanitarian and legal challenges.

“Now rapid advances in technology are resulting in efforts to develop fully autonomous weapons (Killer Robots).

“These robotic weapons would be able to choose and fire on targets on their own, without any human intervention,” the Communique said.

It also stated that giving machines the power to decide who lives and dies on the battlefield was an unacceptable application of technology.

The group said fully autonomous weapons systems would fundamentally destabilise nations around the world.

“History will note which political leaders recognised the gravity of this threat and took legislative action and those that did not.

” We must avoid the human sufferings that will occur if killer robots are deployed. The participants acknowledged the need for further actions to address this issue at national, regional and international levels,” it said.

The group, however, called for the collection of data and information to increase awareness and enhance knowledge about the impact of fully autonomous weapons on humans and avoid the use of fully autonomous weapons with wide area effects at all levels.

It stressed the need to fully support the process that would lead to the negotiation and adoption of an international political declaration on the use of killer robots.

The group said there was need to promote bilateral and regional cooperation through sharing experiences, goodpractices and expertise on reducing the harm caused by killer robots to humans.

“Constructively engage in discussions and initiatives at international level that could effectively provide greater protection to humans in armed conflicts.

“Foster deeper and further engagement from ECOWAS States and facilitate increased involvement as a group of States.

“Continue and strengthen cooperation and partnerships with international organisations and civil society organisations to draw upon their relevant expertise and support.

“Channel contributions to the draft international political declaration on the matter, as well as engage in advocacy, at national, regional and international levels,” the communique added.

Edited by Felix Ajide

Continue Reading

General news

Observer group says Kogi elections marred by thuggery “but generally fair”

Published

on

A Coalition of 15 INEC-accredited Civil Society Observer groups has decried the violence that characterised the governorship and senatorial elections in Kogi, but said that the process was “generally fair”.

Mr Peter Nwokolo, National Coordinator, Citizens Right and Leadership Awareness Initiative, at a press conference on Tuesday in Lokoja, decried the anomalies but said that they were not enough to justify calls for the cancellation of the polls.

He decried the incidents of thuggery and associated violence, but praised INEC for identifying and evaluating the overall impact of the incidents on the electoral outcome.

INEC was right to have taken remedial decisions, including cancellation of votes or scheduling of outright re-runs, in some constituencies,” he said.

Nwokolo particularly decried the violence, ballot box snatching and other forms of disruption by hoodlums some of them in Police uniforms, working for unknown principals.

According to him, “the severity of such incidences were more pronounced in certain areas, particularly Lokoja”.

He also decried “transactional practices” such as vote-buying and voluntary breach of secrecy in voting between voters and agents of political parties.

“Voters and political parties voluntarily exchanged money for votes with the voter contriving to reveal his thumb-printed ballot in order to receive payment,” Nwokolo said.

The coalition called on the Nigeria Police Force and other law enforcement agents to unearth the faceless individuals behind such criminal activities so as to save the nation’s democracy.

Edited by Ephraims Sheyin

Continue Reading

General news

INEC presents N1.9m cheque to family of deceased corps member

Published

on

INEC presents N1.9m cheque to family of deceased corps member

Cheque

Ibadan, Nov. 19, 2019 The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has presented a cheque of N1.9 million to the family of Late Miss Kemisola Adeniran, a corps member who died in Oyo State during the electoral process.

The Nigeria News Agency  reports that the cheque was presented to the deceased’s next of kin and sister, Mrs Folasade Adeyemi, at INEC office in Ibadan on Tuesday.

NAN recalls that the late Adeniran, who was until her death serving in Ona-Ara Local Government Area of Oyo State, died in February in road accident while returning home from INEC training.

Dr Mutiu Agboke, the State Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), said that the commission had acted in line with its life insurance policy for election officials, including adhoc personnel before and during elections.

“On behalf of the commission and entire INEC staff in Oyo State, I wish to express my profound deep regret for the loss of our illustrious daughter/corps member.

“We also express the sincere condolence of the commission to the family over this irreparable loss.

“Though, the commission’s insurance policy makes provision for both permanent and adhoc staff, nothing can be counted worthy for the life lost.

“This presentation of token is just to cushion the effect of this irreparable loss to the deceased family,” he said.

The REC appreciated the invaluable services rendered by corps members, saying that INEC would continue to honour its part of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with NYSC.

He enjoined all stakeholders, particularly the media and security agencies, to collaborate with INEC to establish violence free electioneering process.

Agboke called on politicians to eschew both electoral and political violence, urging them and supporters to desist from fake news as well as hate speeches.

According to him, “we should all learn the culture of doing things right. I am passionate about this because we are losing our staff. Why will anyone be happy at the death of others.

“The media should partner with Inter-Party Advisory Council (IPAC). Electioneering is not during election alone. Let there be collective solution to these problem to have a better society.”

Mrs Eniola Ambekemo, the State Coordinator, NYSC, commended INEC for fulfilling its agreement on the corps members in terms of insurance.

She described deceased’s death as very unfortunate, saying she would have passed out of service with her colleagues in October.

Ambekemo also thanked God that no corps members died in the recently conducted election in Kogi and Bayelsa states.

Adeyemi, the deceased’s sister who received the cheque on behalf of the family, appreciated INEC and NYSC for standing by the family.

“God says we should give thanks in all situations and circumstances. Though, it is hard to bear, but we have to accept it as the will of God,” she said.

Edited by Wale Ojetimi

Continue Reading

General news

LASG to prosecute assailants of traffic officers

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has vowed to prosecute anyone caught assaulting officers in the course of carrying out their official duties and responsibilities.

Mr Olajide Oduyoye, General Manager, Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), in a statement on Tuesday, condemned the recent increase in reported cases of assault on Lagos State Traffic officers by unscrupulous members of the public.

Oduyoye recalled a recent incident of assault by a commercial bus driver at Costain, saying that the Lagos State Government would, henceforth, prosecute and severely punish offenders.

He said that the state would also prosecute and punish motorists and other road users who violated traffic laws.

According to him, the driver of a commercial bus with registration number FST 300 XV, now at large, plying the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) corridor contrary to the law, was accosted by a Traffic Officer at Costain, Iponri, Surulere.

”The driver, however, knocked down the officer as well as the commercial motorcyclist and injured his passenger while trying to escape enforcement,” he said.

Oduyoye gave assurance that the commercial bus driver would be apprehended and warned members of the public to desist from attacking LASTMA officials in the course of their traffic control duties.

Meanwhile, the State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN), has said that a five-count charge has been instituted against the wanted driver at the Special Offences Court of Lagos State sitting at Oshodi, Lagos.

The five-count charge includes willful obstruction, driving against oncoming traffic, physical assault of traffic officers, resisting arrest by vandalising LASTMA vehicle and use of restricted BRT corridor.

The Magistrate, before adjourning the case to Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2019, granted the two applications made by the prosecution counsel – Abiola Olateju, Kehinde Akerele and Aderemi Amu – that the vehicle be held in the custody of the Lagos State Taskforce on Special Offences until the defendant appears.

The Magistrate said that the vehicle shall be forfeited to government after the expiration of one month.

Edited by Wale Ojetimi

Continue Reading

General news

Niger govt. says N1.4bn for 5-star hotel project intact

Published

on

The Niger state government says the N1.4 billion for the five star hotel project in Minna, the state capital is intact.

Mrs Mary Berje, the Chief Press Secretary to Gov. Abubakar Bello of Niger, made this known in a statement on Tuesday in Minna.

She said that the money was still in the Zenith Bank account, adding that it was not given to any contractor to commence work.

The ruling All Progressive Congress and main opposition People Democratic Party in Niger have disagreed recently over the N1.4 billion meant for the abandoned project.

The opposition party alleged that it left the money in an account for the continuation of the project.

The immediate past governor of the state, Dr Babangida Aliyu made this known during his 65th birthday celebration in Minna when he accused the APC government of misappropriating the fund.

Aliyu told friends, associates and party stakeholders in Minna that he left the money in an Escro account at the Minna branch of Zenith Bank.

According to him: “To my surprise, the contractor was invited by the government and given the whole amount. After two months he disappeared from site and has not returned to finish the job.”

Berje described the allegation as misleading and an attempt to win the sympathy of his “dying PDP” ahead of the forthcoming local government elections.

She said: “The present administration has not released any money to any contractor as alleged by the former governor.”

Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. EDITOR@NNN.COM.NG