( NAN) Malam Muhammadu Bashiru, the District Head of Makwalla, Igabi LG, Kaduna state on Friday appealed to Gov. Nasiru El-Rufai to establish a junior secondary school for communities within the area.
The district head also called for a new primary school and equipping of the existing one, which has no chairs, leaving pupils to sit on the floor.
Bashiru who made the appeal in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency said the gesture would increase school enrolment in the area.
“This area does not have junior secondary school and we have only one primary school serving pupils from more than 10 communities.
“Pupils who complete their primary education from this area have to cross rivers on local canoes to get secondary education in nearby communities.
“They encounter a lot of challenges before going to further their education after completing primary school.
“The situation has discouraged many of our wards from seeking secondary school education.
“More worrisome is that, the canoe owners in some cases abandon our children and carry other passengers who can pay more, a situation that discourages them from attending the secondary school.
“So, we want Governor El-Rufai to help us with a junior secondary school to tackle the challenges our children face to seek for education in this area,“Bashiru said.
He listed communities the area as Mashigi, Unguwan Kudu, Makwalla, Uguwan Dorayi, Unguwan Tudu, Tungan Kwari, Tungan Magajin Gari and Rugan Fulani among others.
He said: “All the children in these communities attend only one primary school, currently in a sorry state with no sitting and learning facilities.
“We want to appreciate our Chairman of the local council, Jabir Khamis who facilitated the renovation of the primary school.
“But the school don’t have a single chair, so we are appealing to the government to provide seats and learning materials and also deploy more teachers for us,“ the district head said.
He thanked youth leaders in the communities for working to ensure the success of the primary school renovation and for living peacefully.(NAN)
Edited by Shuaib Sadiq/Maharazu Ahmed
- Air operation aims to degrade Boko Haram -CAS
- Army says video of Boko Haram killing of soldiers fabrication of IPOB
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts