The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ore, Ondo State, on Thursday said that motorists plying the Benin-Ore Expressway were complying with the 50 per cent passengers’ capacity directive by the Federal Government.
Mr Olusegun Aladenika, the FRSC Unit Commander in Ore, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Ore on Thursday that motorists were adhering strictly to the directives.
Interstate travel ban was lifted on June 29 and travelling must not be between the 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. curfew hours.
The Federal Government had said that vehicles must have 50 per cent passengers’ capacity and the passengers must wear face masks to curtail the spread of COVID-19.
“Although it is not total compliance but at least 85 per cent of motorists, especially the commercial drivers on the Benin-Ore axis are complying with the directives.
“Their vehicles are on 50 per cent passengers’ capacity. They wear their face masks and most of them have alcohol-based sanitisers in their vehicles.
“They also obey our personnel when flagged down for routine checks, I just hope they will continue to comply with the directives which is for their own good against the spread of coronavirus,” Aladenika said.
The FRSC boss also said that his personnel were not compromising on the directives, saying that they were up and doing on the enforcement.
He added that a monitoring team had been deployed from headquarters in Abuja, to monitor compliance and enforcement of the directives, saying that any personnel caught while compromising would face sanctions.
“Our personnel are not compromising on these directives and of course, monitoring team is here to monitor the compliance of motorists and enforcement by personnel. So, anyone who compromises is on his own,” he added.
Aladenika, however, advised motorists to desist from speed, overloading of goods and passengers, phone calls while on wheel, non-usage of seat belts, use of expired tyres and obey all other traffic rules and regulations.
Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Adeleye Ajayi (NAN)
- Tanker drivers start strike Monday as talks with LASG end in deadlock
- NCDC confirms 437 new COVID-19 case, total of infection hits 46,577
- Apapa will open to traffic in October — LASG
- Halep to decide on United States Open after Prague event
- Gov. Fayemi mourns ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi
- Vettel says Ferrari messed up with nonsensical strategy
- Ekiti Govt paying lip service to healthcare delivery, say striking doctors
- Resumption: Academy wants COVID-19 protocol funds released directly to schools
- Willian confirms exit from Chelsea after 7 years
- Anglican Bishop urges govts to save SMEs from collapse