The Enugu State High Court presided over by Chief Judge of Enugu State, Justice Mrs Ngozi Emehelu, on Monday adjourned a case of murder involving one Peter Oko until Sept. 23.
When the matter came up on July 29 before the chief judge, she learnt that the case had not been on record since 2017.
State prosecutor, Mr Aloysius Ozioko, told the court that the accused person was charged with murder and conspiracy alongside two others.
Oko was arraigned with one Johnson Kalu and Ndubuisi Nwachukwu for the alleged murder at Nsukka.
”This case was assigned to me in November 2019 and since then the file cannot be traced by the Court Clark,” he said.
He informed the court that he had written to the prison authority to see if he could reach others involved in the suit but all his efforts proved abortive.
”Oko was granted bail in 2016 during the former Chief Justice of the State’s visit to the prisons but I could not verify the condition of his bail,” he said.
Ozioko said that Oko’s case file could not be traced since he was assigned to the case and that the matter was in court one at Nsukka before the former Chief Judge’s visit.
”My lord in this circumstance, I will be asking the court for short adjournment on two grounds.
”The latter I wrote to the prison authority has not been responded to and I want to know the disposition of the principal witness in respect to this case,” Ozioko said.
Meanwhile, Justice Mrs Emehelu also discovered that the case came up last in an open court on Feb. 1, 2016.
Through the official record from court one in Nsukka Emehelu discovered that the case had been off record.
In regard to all the complicating issues, the Chief Judge adjourned the matter until Sept. 23, and referred back the matter to Court one in Nsukka.
Edited by Donald Ugwu
- Gas flaring: Reps c’ttees to investigate impact, ensure compliance of laws
- Turbulence for France’s Macron: hospitals strike, students protest
- Senate to carry out investigative hearing on child trafficking
- We lost over 300 hectares of rice farm to flood in Delta – Farmer
- Czech Republic to summon Russian ambassador over NGO classification
- Gov. Buni presents N108bn budget for 2020
- UNICEF/HiLWA advocates girl-child education in northern Nigeria
- NASC takes seed awareness campaign to secondary schools
- Scavenger bags 3 years’ imprisonment for stealing N9m cables
- 4th Industrial Revolution: Stakeholders list strategies to raise Nigeria’s potential
- Why we are interested in Bayelsa election – US
- Senate stands down bill on inauguration of NASS
- Aluminium fabricator docked for allegedly defrauding client of N964,000
- 3 sentenced to death for kidnapping traditional ruler, killing palace guard
- Another Dickson’s aide resigns
- Reps. make case for Osun aquaculture centre
- Court admits witness statement in trial of Atiku’s son-in-law, Babalele
- Edo Assembly confirms Chief Judge designate
- 17 black rhinos relocated from South Africa to Malawi
- No fewer than 10,000 Austrian homes without electricity after heavy snowfall