Connect with us

Judiciary

Court adjourns National Theatre concession suit until Oct. 29

Published

on

Court adjourns National Theatre concession suit until Oct. 29

A Federal High Court in Lagos on Friday adjourned until Oct. 29, continuation of hearing in a suit by a company, Topwideapeas Ltd., challenging nullification of its concession over the National Arts Theatre Complex.


The plaintiff described itself as a special purpose entity for the acquisition of the management right over the National Arts Theatre and its undeveloped lands in Lagos.

In the suit filed by its counsel, Mr Chijoke Okoli (SAN), and marked /2392/19, the plantiff wants the court to declare as unlawful, the termination of its concession over the theatre.

Joined as defendants are the National Theatre and National Troupe of Nigeria Board, Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission, minister of interior and attorney-general of the federation.

Also joined are the Central Bank of Nigeria, Access Bank and Mr Herbert Wigwe.

The plaintiff is seeking a declaration that it is unlawful for the defendants to purport to truncate and nullify its rights as the concessionaire of the fallow land at the National Theatre Complex, by inducing a breach of its contract.

It wants the court to declare that the plaintiff has a valid and binding contract on the concession of the fallow land surrounding the National Theatre Complex in terms of the updated draft Concession Agreement between it and the Federal Government.

On July 17, Justice Ayokunle Faji granted an ex parte order seeking attendance in court, of the attorney-general of the federation, CBN and others to appear and show cause why the National Theatre Complex was handed over to developers while it is subject of a pending suit before the court.

The ex parte application was filed and argued by paintiff’s counsel, Mr Chijioke Okoli (SAN).

On Friday when hearing resumed in the case, Okoli announced appearance for the plaintiff.

Mr Nelson Orji, a Deputy Director in the Federal Ministry of Justice, appeared for the first to fourth defendants, Mr Fabian Ajogwu (SAN) appeared for the fifth defendant, and Mr A.A Adegbomire (SAN) appeared for the sixth defendant.

Meanwhile, Mr O.B. Bioku appeared for a company, Jadens Trust Ltd., which is seeking to be joined in the suit, while Mr Biodun Abe told the court that he was representing the National Theatre.

Okoli reminded the court that the case was adjourned for parties to appear and show cause following the exparte order of the court.

In reaction, defence counsel (Orji) informed the court that he had filed an application to show cause in response to the court order, as well as a counter affidavit and written address and a motion for an interlocutory injunction.

Orji also informed the court of his motion dated July 7, seeking an enlargement of time to enter his memorandum of appearance.

On his part, counsel to the fifth defendant (Ajogwu), informed the court that he filed a notice of preliminary objection since March, arguing that the subject matter sought to be protected was not properly defined by the plaintiff.

He added that the reliefs sought were vague.

Counsel to the sixth defendant, (Adegbomire), told the court that he had filed an application to show cause in compliance with the court’s order.

In his argument, Orji said that the concession, which the plaintiff was relying on, was not binding as it was only a draft agreement which was eventually revoked.

He argued that an injunction could not be granted as a remedy for an action that had been completed, and urged the court not to grant the plaintiff’s prayers.

Adegbonmire, on his part, questioned the relevance of the ‘fallow land’ referred to in the plaintiff’s motion, saying it was not definitive and had nothing to link his clients.

He also asked that the application be dismissed with a substantial cost for being ‘deliberately brought’ by ex parte (without notice to other parties).

Plaintiff’s counsel (Okolie), in response, argued that the defendants were delving into the main suit which, he said, was improper.

He argued that his ex parte motion was geared at saving the dignity of the court, saying that he had sought that the subject matter be maintained since the parties were before the court.

In a short ruling, Justice Ayokunle Faji held that the plaintiff’s motion ought to be brought by a motion on notice in view of the contentious nature of the case.

He consequently struck out the motion with a cost of N50,000 against the plaitiff.

The court adjourned the case until Oct. 29 for continuation of trial.

In its main suit, the plaintiff wants an order of court directing the defendants to ensure a prompt handover of the fallow land in and about the National Arts Theatre Complex to the plaintiff and its agents, for commencement of construction of the projects planned under the concession agreement.

The plaintiff is claiming the sum of N1 billion naira in damages against the defendants.

Edited By: Ijeoma Popoola (NAN)

Umeh Sandra: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Not the right time for me to return to Barca as coach, Xavi says Anambra monarchs protest suspension, say “nothing warrants it” Edo Election: Ize-Iyamu promises to harness solid minerals in Akoko-Edo COVID-19: Commission refunds 2020 Hajj intending pilgrims in Adamawa Edo 2020: Crowds at rallies thrill Shaibu Board decries increase in maternal, newborn mortality in Plateau FG will prosecute destroyers of Akanu Ibiam Int’l Airport fence – Minister   IPAC dissolves interim committee, fixes  Sept. 5 for election NiMet predicts cloudy, thundery activities Friday to Sunday Nigeria’s low COVID-19 cases due to low sample collection — NCDC Members pass vote of confidence in ALGON president, Kolade Alabi Osinbajo advocates purpose-built software for virtual court proceedings Oyo govt. to spend N5.5bn to remodel Salami Stadium Resurgence of COVID-19 on health workers worrisome — Minister NGO empowers 40 rehabilitated youths in Kwara LASG gives cash donation to victims of rainstorm in Badagry Left Handers Day: We are blessed, intelligent – Jos left handers Monarchs laud Buhari’s developmental efforts in South East UNnilag VC position not vacant – workers unions 684 evacuees test positive to COVID-19 — PTF FG begins reform of Calabar, Kano special economic zones PenCom mulls contributors RSA transfer window -Official Lagos Police College, LASCODA partner to promote coconut development MTN Nigeria lifts NSE market indices further by 0.38% Christian group urges FG to end banditry, kidnapping, others CAN announces intercessory prayer session over insecurity in Nigeria Banditry in Katsina will soon fizzle out – Sen. Barkiya TETFUND could perform well with available resources – Minister Gov. Diri urges Agip to relocate to Bayelsa Abia needs competent leaders, not zoning — Otti ActionAid Nigeria urges small-holder women farmers on NAIC facilities UK, Nigeria partner on regulatory reforms on right of way 38,000 vulnerable households to benefit from CACOVID relief items in Zamfara    FG inaugurates team on digital innovation for improved service delivery  Be transformational leaders, President, Nigeria Baptist Convention charges new board members Senate committees begins scrutiny, consideration of 2021-2023 MTEF, FSP document How to further boost Nigeria’s GDP — Onu Minister lauds FCTA press corps over accurate reportage, professional conduct UN seeks $1.8bn intervention to assist 7.8m Nigerians ALGON interim c’ttee seeks stakeholders’ support, cooperation on new leadership COVID-19: Firm donates 25,000 facemasks to FCTA 818m children lack access to handwashing facilities in schools- WHO/UNICEF Report Police kill 2 suspected bandits, rescue 2 kidnapped persons in Katsina Evacuation: 175 stranded Nigerians arrive Abuja from Uganda Minister inaugurates ultra modern Senate Building in BUK Folarin Coker’s death, great loss to Lagos — Sanwo-Olu Navy, NEXIM Bank sign MoU towards opening up inland waterways for International Trade 818 million children worldwide risk contracting COVID-19 — UNICEF Don’t compromise, CAN president tells security agencies Nasarawa State Assembly to partner with Govt, NGOs to fight malnutrition in children