The Federal High Court Abuja, on Friday, gave the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) a go-ahead to freeze the Polaris and Zenith Bank accounts linked to the immediate-past Governor of Zamfara, Abdulaziz Yari, pending the conclusion of its investigation.
Nigeria News Agency reports that while the Zenith Bank account numbers include: 1001381684 (N12.9m), 1010757436 (11.1m), 5360050304 ($301, 319.99), 1012556798 (N217, 388.04), 5364669609 ($311, 872.15), the Polaris account number is 2110000928 ($56, 056.75).
Akponimisingha, who is a Senior Legal Officer with the commission, said the motion exparte was dated Aug. 5 and filed on Aug. 6.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Mr Yari and two others are respondents in the case.
The lawyer told Justice Taiwo Taiwo that the commission sought the order of the court based on the law that gives the court the jurisdiction to hear the case.
He said the motion was brought in accordance with Section 17, Subsection 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Act 2006; Section 48, Subsection 1, 2, 3a and b of the Corruption Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000.
”The motion is praying for 10 orders. Nine orders are the main while the tenth order is omnibus,” he said.
In his ruling, Justice Taiwo, who granted the prayers sought by the ICPC, asked the commission to put the respondents on notice and the publication be made in The Punch Newspaper within seven days, excluding today (Aug. 16).
He also said that the respondents should within 14 days file an affidavit on why the money should not be forfeited.
The judge thereafter adjourned the matter till Sept. 11.
- COVID-19: Abia records three new confirmed cases, total number rises to 10
- COVID-19: Nigerian-British bilateral relationship remains strong – envoy
- Stakeholders urge Enugu Assembly to review state urban, regional plan law
- Fire rips through crowded Cameroon prison
- Zamfara: Police partner ex bandits, rescue 12 kidnap victims -PPRO
- LG polls: Benue PDP chairman optimistic of victory
- Lagos reinvigorates e-governance, boosts network
- NITDA presents national outsourcing strategy to stakeholders
- Ogun set to resume normal business, eases lockdown
- Northern Governors congratulate Masari @70
- Austria to pay artists 1,000 euros a month to weather Covid-19 crisis
- Akande emerges Chairman of Ibadan LG Properties Company
- Buhari hails Consul-General Godwin Adama at 60
- Navy appoints 110 senior officers
- Labour, Civil Society flays deduction of salaries of workers, pensioners by Kaduna Govt, other States
- Gov Okowa’s wife donates food items to 5 correctional centres
- COVID-19: We’ve yet to receive promised ventilators from U.S. – Minister
- OYO APC inaugurates Alao-Akala led reconciliation committee
- Ibadan Poly manufactures ventilator, hand washing machine
- COVID-19: NCDC striving to increase PCR capacity for testing across Nigeria – DG