A Kaduna Chief Magistrates’ Court, on Thursday sentenced 34-year-old businessman Mustapha Jibrin, to three months imprisonment for receiving stolen property.
The convict, a resident of Kakuri in Kaduna, had pleaded guilty to a count charge of dishonestly receiving and purchasing stolen property and begged for leniency.
The Magistrate, Mr Ibrahim Emmanuel, sentenced him to three months imprisonment, but gave him a N10,000 option of fine.
Emmanuel said that the court was lenient on the convict because he saved it from prolonged trial, but warned him to shun crime.
Earlier, the prosecutor, Insp. Leo Chidi, told the court that on Aug.15, one Sani Mohammed and two others were arrested and brought to Gabasawa Police station Kaduna “for an offence of belonging to a gang of thieves’’.
Chidi said that during police investigation, Mohammed confessed that the convict usually buy stolen property from him, a development that led to Jibrin’s arrest.
The prosecutor told the court that during police investigation, two stolen laptops, three Tecno Phones and car batteries were recovered from the convict.
He noted that the offence contravened section 206 of the Penal Code Law of Kaduna State, 2017.
Edited by Gregg Mmaduakolam/Maharazu Ahmed
- 2 Abuja varsity students in court over alleged conspiracy in the drowning of friend
- Bill for Imo lotteries board scales 2nd reading
- INEC meets Oke Ogun, Ogbomoso communities over location of Oyo North collation centre
- Human Rights Day: NHRC, others call for youth involvement in decision making
- Nigeria banks remain stable, says NDIC
- Inability to screen EFCC second witness hinders Maina’s trial
- South Sudan rebel leader arrives Juba to resolve outstanding issues
- Teenage student bags 1 year jail term over sexual encroachment on stepmother
- WISTA @ 25: Girl-child education fulcrum for balancing gender gap — Minister
- IFAD-CASP distributes 760 pumping machines to Zamfara communities
- Enugu Assembly moves to probe contractors of failed projects
- Why Plateau is Nigeria’s 2nd least corrupt state – Lalong
- FG to release LPG pricing template in 2020
- U.S. Democrats unveil impeachment charges against Trump
- Cars 45 expands to Ghana, Kenya — CEO
- S. African president cuts trip short over electricity crisis at home
- Kogi PDP Women Leader’s death: Police parade 6 suspects
- Emirates emerges World’s leading Cabin Crew 2019
- Yuletide: NSE market capitalisation shed N143bn
- Insurance recapitalisation exercise will strengthen sector’s growth, development — Onyema
- How Crawford University becomes Nigeria’s “Most Peaceful Campus” — VC
- Lalong urges foreign investors to return to Plateau
- Development levy: Politician drags ESUT, Enugu government to court
- Use social media for development, Activist urges youths
- NCC boss urges FG to remain competitive to fulfill local content
- UNICEF says 1,727 children reunite with families in Borno
- NUC approves 29 new programmes for Lokoja Federal Varsity
- Gov. Matawalle denies involvement in arrest of opposition members
- Sowore: Reps to investigate invasion of court
- CBN expects 2.38% GDP growth by Q4
- Include gender policy in constitution, ex-senator suggests
- IBB varsity gets new VC
- National Identity Programme requires funding, commitment to succeed says NIMC DG
- Chile Air Force says cargo plane crashed with 38 onboard
- Reps laud army’s innovative stride
- Reps laud army’s stride in innovations
- Rotary Club offers free medical treatment to 100 people in Ibadan
- Senate mandates committee to investigate unremitted stamp duty fund
- Minister reiterates need for synergy in power sector
- NYSC urges Plateau Govt. to complete permanent orientation camp
- Association donates essentials to motherless babies in Kwara
- Ministerial negotiations begin at UN climate conference
- DisCos increase revenue collection by N43bn in one year
- Commission tasks MDAs on improved IGR for capital projects
- Algeria set for presidential election denounced by protesters as charade
- Psychiatrists identify causes of high incidents of suicide in Nigeria
- NYSC Governing Board commends Plateau Govt. over provision of permanent orientation camp
- WTO ban on tariffs for digital trade extended until June 2020
- Police arraign 46-year-old mechanic for allegedly stealing bus
- Border Closure will ensure more transparency, integrity in auto market – Cars45