Court jails carpenter 6 months for breach of trust
Okon, who resides at Guzape village, Abuja was sentenced on a two-count charge of criminal breach of trust and cheating after he had pleaded guilty and begged for leniency.
The Judge, Alhaji Inuwa Maiwada, however, gave the convict an option to pay N10, 000 as fine.
He also ordered Okon to pay N400, 000 as compensation to the complainant.
Maiwada said that the punishment would have been stiffer if the convict had not saved the court the rigour of protracted prosecution.
The Prosecuting Counsel, Mrs Ijeoma Ukagha, had earlier told the court that on Feb. 27, one Andrew Joesph of Karmo Village, Abuja reported the matter at the Life Camp Police Station.
Ukagha said that sometime in 2011, Okon deceitfully collected N500, 000 from the complainant under the pretence of lending the money to his friend.
She said Okon collected the money from Joesph and promised to pay back the said N500, 000 to the complainant.
Ukagha told the court that Okon deliberately refused to pay the N500, 000 until sometime in 2012 after much pressure, he managed to pay N100, 000 to the complainant.
She said that after the payment of N100, 000, Okon intentionally and dishonestly ran away to an unknown destination and that all efforts made by the complainant to reach him proved abortive.
The counsel said until sometime in 2019, Okon started making love advance to a woman not knowing she is the complainant’s wife.
The prosecutor disclosed that on Feb. 27 the complainant’s wife traced Okon to Kado village after he had promised to hang out with her at about 7:30 p.m.
Ukagha said that in process the complainant made arrangement with the police and Okon was immediately arrested.
The prosecutor said that Okon’s offences contravened Sections 312 and 322 of the Penal Code.
- Zamfara killings: Gov. Matawalle cancels planned trip to Germany
- 265 Enugu residents benefit from Nigerian Army medical outreach
- 2020 Olympics Qualifiers: D’Tigress lands in Pot 3
- Dubai urges African countries to rejig customs service
- Court to rule on Faisal Maina’s bail application Nov. 29
- 6 migrants found dead on Libyan shoreline, UN agency says
- Trump says ‘I want a trial,’ brushes off worries on impeachment
- Expert calls for establishment of specialised bank for healthcare industry
- 18 ships arrive Lagos ports, discharge petroleum products, food items
- NIPR inducts Delta Commissioner, 144 others as members in Asaba
- Court again adjourns arraignment of 57 for alleged Homosexuality
- Market liquidity: SEC engages PENCOM, AMCON on Securities Lending
- Appeal Court Judgment: Tambuwal dedicates victory to God
- College drags ex-student to court over alleged defamation
- Pope says technology, globalisation endanger youth individuality
- Army war college graduates 66 officers in course 3
- Entire world waiting on Africa for creative tourism – tourism development expert
- Reps C’ttee lauds Adebayo
- Anambra FRSC begins night patrol, arrests 15 trucks for alleged overloading
- Anambra: FRSC commences night patrol, arrests 15 trucks, buses for overloading, extra light
- Yuletide: Fashola tasks stakeholders, housing controllers on results
- Prompt response from Navy Fire Unit saves lives, properties
- FRSC tightens noose on corrupt personnel
- Kogi election: Coalition urges INEC to create more polling units
- Kebbi Govt. sets up health committee to humanitarian crisis
- Igboeze South LG spends N250m to construct 1.5km road, others
- Customers express concerns on implementation of e-bills by Ikeja Electric
- DMO puts Nigeria’s debt profile at N25.7 trn
- 34 Ijegun residents benefit free medical surgeries, 350 from eye screening
- Zidane defends Bale after flag criticism
- Insecurity: Ex-Police I-G Abubakar calls for synergy between security agencies
- Buhari receives NIPSS Report on Universal Healthcare, pledges action
- 2 protesters killed, 25 injured in Baghdad unrest
- Banky W announce return to music with new album in 2020
- Liverpool manager Klopp sweating on Salah fitness ahead of Palace trip
- Navy hands over smuggled rice, vegetable oil to customs
- Market closure: We lost over N500m, Kaduna traders cry out
- China reiterates commitment to cultural relations with Nigeria
- NPC begins 2019 VASA survey in Gombe, solicits stakeholders’ support
- Wellness expert advises Nigerians on healthy lifestyle to reduce stress
- Hong Kong mask ban temporarily returns as court reviews law
- 1072 persons benefits from Foundation’s free eye care in Edo
- 2 car dealers docked over alleged N800, 000 fraud
- Pope Francis urges Catholics to promote faith in Buddhist Thailand
- Polio immunisation: Kano targets over 3m children -Commissioner
- Man in court for allegedly stealing snail, bitter cola
- NGO trains 50 litreracy facilitators in Ebonyi
- Traditional ruler appeals to FG to accord priority to roads across Nigeria
- Agege council to build artistes’ village to engage talented youths
- Yuletide: Enugu CP urges synergy among security agencies