An Oredo Magistrates’ Court sitting in Benin, on Monday, sentenced one Victor Okeke to six months imprisonment for using a spare key to open one Toyota Camry car, with the intention to steal it.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the judge, Mrs Ivie Akere, did not give Okeke an option of fine.
Earlier, the Police Prosecutor, ASP Patrick Agbonifo, had told the court that the convict committed the offence on Nov. 15 at Ogbemudia Stadium, Benin.
He said that the offence was punishable under Section 390 (4) of the Criminal Code, Cap 48, Vol II, Laws of the defunct Bendel State, now applicable to Edo state.
NAN reports that the convict had pleaded guilty to the charge preferred against him.
Edited & Vetted By: Moses Solanke and
- People watch movie at drive-in cinema at Port of Gruz in Croatia
- Bioparco zoo in Rome reopens with strict measures taken to curb spread of COVID-19
- Indian medics team visit COVID-19 hotspot area in Bangalore
- Hundreds in New York protest over George Floyd’s death
- Nubian ibexes seen in Mitzpe Ramon, southern Israel
- “Meet Vincent van Gogh” exhibition to reopen to public in Lisbon
- UN Security Council extends mandates of missions in Somalia, Iraq, Darfur
- UN rights body stresses need to combat stigmatization in COVID-19 fight, supports WHO’s leading role
- Havertz goal gives Bayer Leverkusen 1-0 win at Freiburg
- U.S. city Minneapolis imposes curfew amid violent protests over death of black man
- Gov. Makinde completes 307 projects in 1year, 236 others ongoing
- Chinese UN envoy urges U.S., Britain to immediately stop interfering in Hong Kong affairs
- Leicester manager says he caught coronavirus but has recovered
- Trump’s plan to cut ties with WHO “awful decision”: Irish minister
- Gov. Obiano inaugurates 16-member committee for public procurements
- EU grants Morocco 172 mln USD amid COVID-19 pandemic
- AfDB: Obasanjo, Jonathan, 13 other African leaders rally support for Adesina
- Brazilian Economy Ministry predicts greater GDP decline in second quarter
- English Premier League says using “home and away’’ venues remains its wish
- Police deploy 5,200 personnel for LG polls in Benue