An Ikorodu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos, on Monday, ordered the remand of three armed robbery suspects in prison custody while awaiting legal advice from the state Directorate of Public Prosecution.
The defendants, Adebayo Aderele, 40, Aliu Hammed, 29, and Opeyemi Samson, 25, were being arraigned for alleged robbery with dangerous weapons .
The magistrate, Mr O.M. Dawodu, who did not take the plea of the defendants, ordered the police to send the file to the office of the state Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP) for legal advice.
Dawodu, however, adjourned the case till October 3.
Earlier, the prosecutor, Sgt. Mary Ajiteru, had told the court that the three men were standing trial on a three- count charge of conspiracy, felony to wit armed robbery.
He added that the defendants, whose addresses were not provided, committed the offences on Aug. 6 at Agbede area of Ikorodu.
Ajiteru said that the defendants, armed with dangerous weapons, robbed one Okwori Job, of a locally made single barrel gun, torchlight and mobile phone valued N6,000.
She said that the defendants had in their possession dangerous weapons and instruments with intent to break in or enter a residence.
According to the prosecutor, the offences contravene Sections 299, 297(2)(b) and 312 (2)(a)of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that section 297 provides for 21 years jail term for robbery while section 299 provides for 14 years in prison for conspiracy to wit commit robbery.
Edited by Zainab Garba/Yemi Idris-Aduloju
- Police rescue another boy kidnapped in Kano, arrest 3 suspects
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Zimbabwe banks start dispensing new bank notes
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed
- Insurgency: Nigerian Army seeks support from NEDC
- Lawmaker tasks information officers on efficiency, professionalism