A Chief Magistrates’ court, sitting in Ilorin, has remanded seven suspects in prison for alleged criminal conspiracy, house breaking, theft, receiving stolen property and illegal possession of fire arms.
The Chief Magistrate, Jimoh Salihu, gave the order on Friday.
The accused persons included Ngochukwu Solomon, 35, Muritala Kannike, 34, Lekan Gabriel, 22, Kabiru Shittu, 26, Idris Yusuf, 42; Amunega Femi and Nasiru Adeola, 27.
The accused persons, who all live within the Ilorin metropolis, are facing a five-count charge.
The prosecutor, Insp. Yakub Isaac, told the court that the suspects committed the offence on Sept. 24 at Onipe street, Ajegunle, Sango area of Ilorin.
He said one David Femi, of the said address, reported that on the same date, he took his children to school and before he returned, his house had been broken into through the window.
Isaac listed the items stolen from the complainant’s house to include one pump action gun and cartridges, valued at N650, 000, one home theatre electronic, valued at N120,000, one stabiliser, valued at N25,000 and one microwave, valued at N60,000.
He said that among the stolen items were a necklace, valued at N60,000, and three mobile phones, traced to the first accused person, Solomon, adding that his arrest led to the arrest of other accused persons.
The prosecutor said that their arrests led to the recovery of the pump action, the three mobile phones, home theatre electronic and stabiliser.
Isaac said that investigations conducted revealed that one of the accused persons, Gabriel, intentionally broke into the house of the complainant, stole the aforementioned items and sold some to another accused person, Kannike.
He said that Kannike resold the items to Solomon, Yusuf and Femi, while Adeola bought the said pump action from Gabriel through Shittu.
The prosecutor said that the offences were contrary to Sections 97, 354, 288, 317 of the Penal Code and Section 3 of Robbery and Firearms Act.
The accused persons pleaded not guilty to the charges, while the chief magistrate adjourned the case till Oct 8. (NAN)
Edited by Isaac Aregbesola and ‘Wale Sadeeq
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections
- Commission issues Certificates of Return to 16 LG chairmen in Ekiti