Connect with us

Judiciary

Court remands 7 in prison for alleged house breaking, theft

Published

on

Court remands 7 in prison for alleged house breaking, theft

A Chief Magistrates’ court, sitting in Ilorin, has remanded seven suspects in prison for alleged criminal conspiracy, house breaking, theft, receiving stolen property and illegal possession of fire arms.


The Chief Magistrate, Jimoh Salihu, gave the order on Friday.

The accused persons included Ngochukwu Solomon, 35, Muritala Kannike, 34, Lekan Gabriel, 22, Kabiru Shittu, 26, Idris Yusuf, 42; Amunega Femi and Nasiru Adeola, 27.

The accused persons, who all live within the Ilorin metropolis, are facing a five-count charge.

The prosecutor, Insp. Yakub Isaac, told the court that the suspects committed the offence on Sept. 24 at Onipe street, Ajegunle, Sango area of Ilorin.

He said one David Femi, of the said address, reported that on the same date, he took his children to school and before he returned, his house had been broken into through the window.

Isaac listed the items stolen from the complainant’s house to include one pump action gun and cartridges, valued at N650, 000, one home theatre electronic, valued at N120,000, one stabiliser, valued at N25,000 and one microwave, valued at N60,000.

He said that among the stolen items were a necklace, valued at N60,000, and three mobile phones, traced to the first accused person, Solomon, adding that his arrest led to the arrest of other accused persons.

The prosecutor said that their arrests led to the recovery of the pump action, the three mobile phones, home theatre electronic and stabiliser.

Isaac said that investigations conducted revealed that one of the accused persons, Gabriel, intentionally broke into the house of the complainant, stole the aforementioned items and sold some to another accused person, Kannike.

He said that Kannike resold the items to Solomon, Yusuf and Femi, while Adeola bought the said pump action from Gabriel through Shittu.

The prosecutor said that the offences were contrary to Sections 97, 354, 288, 317 of the Penal Code and Section 3 of Robbery and Firearms Act.

The accused persons pleaded not guilty to the charges, while the chief magistrate adjourned the case till Oct 8. (NAN)


MOB/IAA/WAS

Edited by Isaac Aregbesola and ‘Wale Sadeeq

 

Mujidat Oyewole: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Foreign

United States court allows publication of John Bolton’s book, in blow to Trump

Published

on


A United States court on Saturday ruled that the publication of a tell-all book by former national security adviser John Bolton can move forward, denying an attempt by President Donald Trump’s administration to prevent its release.


In his decision Judge Royce Lamberth said that the government failed to prove “irreparable harm” by halting the book’s publication, since much of its contents have already been disclosed through media reports.

“With hundreds of thousands of copies around the globe – many in newsrooms – the damage is done,” Lamberth said in his decision. “There is no restoring the status quo.”

But Lamberth also slammed Bolton saying he “gambled with the national security of the United States” and has exposed himself to possible forfeiture of profits and criminal liability in future court proceedings for failing to fully comply with the government’s classified information review.

The book, titled “The Room Where It Happend,” is scheduled to be released this Tuesday. It depicts Trump’s foreign policy as feckless and driven by personal interest.

Bolton says Trump asked his Chinese counterpart to purchase United States agricultural products to help his re-election bid.

He also told Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that he could intervene in a law enforcement probe to aid a Turkish bank, according to experts published in media reports.

The court’s decision will likely ensure a wider readership of the bombshell book, which comes roughly four months before the US presidential election.

Trump called the decision a “BIG COURT WIN against Bolton” despite losing the injunction request and referred to Bolton as a warmonger who “likes dropping bombs on people, and killing them.”

“Bolton broke the law and has been called out and rebuked for so doing, with a really big price to pay,” Trump said. “Now he will have bombs dropped on him!”

Lamberth said Bolton’s allegation that the White House classification review process was politically motivated did not hold up and he should have allowed more time for review of his 500-page manuscript.

“Many Americans are unable to renew their passports within four months, but Bolton complains that reviewing hundreds of pages of a National Security Advisor’s tell-all deserves a swifter timetable,” Lamberth said.

In his conclusion, Judge Royce Lamberth wrote that Bolton had also “exposed his country to harm and himself to civil [and potentially criminal] liability.”

IAA

Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court sentences businessman to 5 years imprisonment for forgery, cheating

Published

on


A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Gwagwalada, FCT, on Tuesday sentenced a businessman, Eze Solomon, to five years imprisonment for forgery and cheating.


Chief Magistrate, Baba Shani, sentenced Solomon to three years for forgery and two years for cheating, without an option of fine.

Shani also ordered the convict to pay N3 million as compensation to a businesswoman, Ms Julkart Dangin.

He said that the sentence would serve as a deterrent to the convict and others from committing such crime in future.

” The convict also misled the court by lying about being ill and forging a fake hospital report to that effect which during investigations revealed was not true,” he said.

Shani said that the prosecution counsel, Emeka Ihekoronye, has proved his case beyond reasonable doubt.

Ihekoronye told the court that Solomon forged documents of two shops located in Wuse market and had been collecting rent from 2005 to 2011.

He said that the shops originally belonged to Dangin, who thought that the said shops have been revoked by the Federal Capital Territory Administration all this while.

He said Solomon deceived the occupants of the said shops with forged documents claiming to be the caretaker of the said property and has so far collected N6 million from them as rent.

The prosecution counsel said that the occupants of the shops, Mr Ikechuchwu Ebowusi and Leonard Ogoli, reported the matter to the police when their shops were sealed by the FCT Administration for not paying ground rate.

He said that when the occupants approached Solomon on why the rate was not paid, he promised to pay but never did.

The prosecution counsel said police investigations revealed that the convict was never the caretaker or given custody of the shops by the owner.

He said the offence contravened the provisions of sections 320 and 364 of the Penal Code.

Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Alleged fraud: Court admits taxi driver to N2m bail

Published

on


Justice Peter Kekemeke of an FCT High Court Nyanya on Tuesday admitted a taxi driver, Paschal Chijioke, who allegedly swindled a businesswoman too bail in the sum of N2 million.


The police charged Chijioke with two counts bordering on armed robbery.

The police alleged that the defendant, with others who are  at large, on Sept. 2, 2019 in Karu , FCT while armed with dangerous weapons robbed Ms Christiana Ogundipe N200, 000.

The police also alleged that the defendant stole a techno cell phone value at N45,000.

The offence, the police said, contravened the provisions of sections 6 (b) of Robbery and firearms special provision Act, Laws of the Federation.

 

Kekemeke admitted the defendant to bail following an application for bail moved by defence counsel, Mr J.A. Mustapha.

The prosecution counsel Mr Chukwuemeka Ugwuanya did not object to the bail application.

“I have taken a careful notice of the complaint of the complainant,  the evidence is not such that can warrant the refusal of his bail.

 

” The weight of the evidence seems light,  the defendant is deemed Innocent until proven guilty,  in the circumstance of this case I shall exercise my discretion in favour of the defendant.

 

” The defendant is hereby granted bail in sum of N2 million and two sureties in like sum, one who must be owner of certificate of occupancy within Abuja ” he ordered.

 

He then adjourned the matter until  Sept. 28 for trial.

Earlier,  when the charge was read to the defendant, he pleaded not guilty but the judge admonished him to tell the court the truth.

 

” The court is not the place to lie, it will not help you,  did you do these things? the judge asked .

 

The defendant then told the court that on that faithful day ‘we took the victim to Mararaba , we were three in number’

 

“One of us claimed to be a foreigner who brought goods like iPhones and gold necklaces for sale.

 

“He said he doesn’t have Nigerian currency, so we then agreed that we are going to help him get Nigerian money.

 

“We then went to where we can do that ,on getting there we told him that we have a film, It is the film that we will wash in a chemical and it will  turn to money” he said.

 

He told the court that when that was done, it turned to money  and they asked how they can get the chemical.

 

He added that they were directed to a laboratory scientist.

 

” We all were able to contribute certain amount, after the process, and the victim promised to contribute N200, 000 which she did after  four days.

 

The Judge said ,  “now that you have said the truth, it will go a long way to help you.” (NAN)

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court remands driver over alleged rail track vandalism

Published

on


A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Kafanchan, Kaduna State on Tuesday  ordered  a  23-year-old driver, Haliru Jibrin, to be remanded in a correctional facility over alleged vandalism.


The police charged Jibrin wity criminal consiparcy, mischief and theft, contrary to sections 317, 275 and 327 of the Kaduna State Penal Code Law.

The state counsel, Mathias Joseph, told the court that the defendant was arrested by men of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps  (NSCDC) on June 6.

Joseph alleged that the defendant and two others, now at large, went to the railway tracks along Katul crossing in Kachia and damaged some rail facilities.

When the charges were read to him, he pleaded not guilty.

The prosecution thereafter prayed the court for an adjournment to enable the state call its witnesses to prove its case against the accused person.

In his ruling, the presiding judge, Abdulaziz Ibrahim, ordered that the defendant be remanded in  Kafanchan correctional centre.

Ibrahim adjourned the matter until June 25 for further mention.

Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Edo 2020: PDP Chieftain, Afegbua, pledges support for APC’s Ize-Iyamu Buhari mourns Khalifa Tidiane Niass, Senegal-based Islamic leader Imo police parade traditional ruler over alleged kidnapping We’re working to ensure Nigerians have access to COVID-19 vaccines when available – NCDC Buhari writes Funtua’s family, says he’s pillar of support to his govt. NDA screening test to hold Aug. 15 – Registrar COVID-19: Nigeria donates PPEs worth N67m to Sao Tome and Principe Exercise OKUN ALAFIA II records success 11 days after flag off WAEC: Kano Govt. to fumigate 528 schools Resumption: FCTA fumigates schools, distributes face masks, sanitiser NNPC mourns former GMD, Dawha School feeding programme gulps over N500m during Lockdown – Minister Custodian Investment moves to purchase 51% equity stake in UPDC Resumption: Anambra giving schools 1,000 infrared thermometers — Commissioner COVID-19: PTF, INEC working on elections protocols-  PTF Chairman Inauguration of EDHA members- elect will be prioritised- Ize-Iyamu MWUN seeks compliance with govt. directives on stevedores, dockworkers Devastating effects of COVID-19 pandemic responsible for sack of pilots- Air Peace  Edo election: PDP leader pledges support of Ososo people for Obaseki Doctors suspend strike in Ondo Egypt, Ethiopia, Sudan resume talks on disputed dam UI vice-chancellorship: Search team to get eligible candidate  Presidency says TUC planned protest against EFCC, NDDC, NSITF ill-advised, uncalled for Labour Party dissociates self from CUPP lawsuit against FG Ondo spends N3.13bn on workers’ allowances, hazard bonus COVID-19 vaccines now in phase 3 clinical trials– WHO United States judge whose son was killed by gunman speaks out Flour Mills announces AGM attendance by proxy Sept. 10 Gov. AbdulRazak constitutes visitation panels to Kwara Poly, Aviation College Oyo development agency completes 788 projects Insect can escape after being eaten by frog, scientists find Nigerian Breweries earns N152bn revenue in 6 months FCTA directs schools to re-open for graduating class students Tuesday SS 3 students resume Wednesday in Kwara Attack: Governors express solidarity with Gov. Zulum Sterling Bank reports 10% growth in half-year net interest income Missing sailors found in Micronesia thanks to SOS written in sand Ogun CJ swears-in 6 new Chief, Senior Magistrates Ondo 2020: We may suffer defeat over choice of running mate, PDP Chieftain warns Eid-el-Kabir: Kano records low turnout as workers resume duty NSE resumes trading for August with 0.30% growth COVID-19: Osun Task Force arrests residents violating use of face masks Flood: NEMA trains emergency vanguards in Imo, Abia on quick response Eid-el-Kabir: Police record zero crime in Niger Pensioners throw weight behind Gov. Obaseki’s 2nd term bid Constituents laud Dogara’s defection to APC NDDC warns Nigerians against scammers offering fake jobs African Champions League final to be played in October Nursing mothers tasked on continuous breastfeeding for healthy children Ekiti workers suspend strike as lawmakers intervene