A Yaba Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos on Monday ordered that a 40-year-old landlady, Yinka Martins, accused of killing her tenant, be remanded in Ikoyi Prison, pending legal advice from the State Directorate of the Public Prosecution(DPP).
Chief Magistrate Oluwatoyin Oghere, who gave the order, adjourned the case until April 10.
The police charged the defendant with two counts of conspiracy and murder.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Sgt. Modupe Olaluwoye, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on Feb. 13, at 11.30 p.m. at No. 6, Odunsi St., Bariga, Lagos.
She alleged that the deceased, Mrs Mojisola Idayat, who was a tenant to the defendant, had given the landlady’s son who was ill some food to eat so that he could take his medication.
Olaluwoye said that the defendant later accused the deceased of giving her son leftover food to eat which resulted in an argument.
“My Lord, the defendant killed her tenant for giving her ill son food to eat. She beat the deceased to death with a plank, accusing her of giving her son leftover food.
“The defendant’s other tenants were present at the time of the incident and we intend to call them as our witnesses.
He alleged that one of the tenants, Mr Rasheed Arewale, called the deceased husband when it happened and he reported the case at the police station,” she said.
edited by Tayo Ikujuni/Sadiya Hamza
- Jega says improving integrity of elections critical to democratic growth
- Border closure: entrepreneur commends FG, urges Nigerians to look inward
- Minister tasks women on nation building
- World Diabetes Day: Association urges mothers to prepare natural foods for families
- Turkey qualify for Euro 2020 with draw against Iceland, France also secure spot
- 2 injured in Tejuosho Lagos fire — LASEMA
- CPAN says 2019 UTME marred by biometric, browser failure
- Efficient deployment of resources critical to universal health coverage – Don
- Why LASU is introducing 2-stream undergraduate programmes — VC
- Fellow officer defiled my daughter in barracks, policewoman tells court
- UHC: NIPSS wants Buhari to convene National Council of State meeting
- NGO calls for synergy on diabetes awareness
- Red Cross trains 30 surgeons on management of weapon wounded patients
- NPFL: Rangers pips Sunshine Stars 1-0 in Enugu
- World Diabetes Day: NGO provides free medicare to Abuja residents
- Agency signs MoU with bank to create access for loan for health maintenance
- NACCIMA president charges FG, states to patronise Innoson motors
- Pantami directs NCC to address issues of automatic voicemails on existing phonelines
- FG open to willing foreign investors in agribusiness – Perm Sec
- 4,000 Primary Health Centres have been revitalised in Nigeria – NPHCDA