An Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court, on Friday, ordered the remand of a 25-year-old man, Ayo Ogundipe, in the correctional centre in Ado-Ekiti over alleged armed robbery and attempted murder.
The defendant, whose address was not provided, is facing a two-count charge of armed robbery and attempted murder.
The Police Prosecutor, Insp. Monica Ikebuilo, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on July 4 at Emure-Ekiti.
She said that the defendant robbed and attempted to murder four people, namely: Olakunle Victoria, Olakunle Taiwo, Olakunle Kehinde and Sunday Ibitoye.
Ikebuilo further stated that the defendant went to the house of the family, robbed them of their money, phones and other valuables, and destroyed their electronics.
She added that the defendant also matcheted the mother, Victoria, twice on the head as well as the children and their neighour, Ibitoye.
According to her, the offences contravene Sections 402(2) and 320 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ekiti State, 2012.
The prosecutor urged the court to remand the defendant in a custodial centre pending legal advice from the office of Director of Public Prosecution (DPP).
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the plea of the defendant was not taken.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Adefumike Anoma, ordered the remand of the defendant in the Correctional Centre, pending issuance of legal advice.
She adjourned the case till Aug. 13, for mention.
Edited By: Remi Koleoso and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq
- Andreescu will not defend United States Open title
- Serena beats Venus to reach Lexington quarter-finals
- Gov. Umahi rejects Ebonyi’s transfer to Police Zone 13 Division
- UN Chief welcomes Israel, UAE peace agreement
- Caretaker committee promises better times for Anambra football stakeholders, unveils new FA secretariat
- NAPHER-SD identifies loopholes in sports industry policy draft, calls for review
- COVID-19: PTF working with partners to implement comprehensive response to virus
- How I survived COVID-19 — Foreign Affairs Minister
- Leipzig stun Atletico Madrid to reach Champions League last four
- Workshop identifies harmful impacts of Global Gag Rule on developing nations