A Sharia Court in Magajin Gari, Kaduna State, on Thursday ordered that a 42-year-old woman, Rakiya Ibrahim, be remanded in a correctional centre for disrespecting the court.
The Judge, Murtala Nasir, ordered the police to arrest Ibrahim over her failure to appear before the court after receiving several court summons over alleged failure to pay back N30,000 she received as bride price from one Abdullahi Dahiru.
reports that marriage between the parties did not hold over misunderstandings and Dahiru prayed the court to retrieve back the N30,000 he paid as bride price and a prayer to court to order Ibrahim stay away from his affairs.
The Judge adjourned the case until Oct. 11.
Earlier, Dahiru, who resides in Tudun Wanda, Kaduna, through his counsel, M.K. Mustapha, told the court that the case was slated today to ensure proof of service of court summons to the defendant.
He prayed the court to use its powers under Order 3, Rule 10 and the Sharia law which empowers the court to force anybody who is neglecting court summon to appear before the court.
“The case can not proceed without the defendants presence to accept or deny our claims before the court”, the counsel said.
edited by Sadiya Hamza
- Major shake-up in Nigerian Army as 37 Generals redeployed
- Queens College PTA wants unity schools’ participation in 2020 WASSCE
- Students urge FG to take proactive measures for schools reopening
- Rotary club president pledges more services to humanity
- Environmentalist ticks out govt. for inability to enforce environmental policies
- Ebonyi inaugurates committee to recruit 13,000 for FG’s Special Works Programme
- Farm inputs: Women farmers laud Gov. Buni
- Manchester City aren’t the only big spenders —- Guardiola
- Coronavirus: Kwara health workers demand hazard allowance
- Bauchi SUBEB’s Chairman warns engineers against use of substandard materials for projects