Abuja, March 4, 2019 (NNN) A Karu Grade I Area Court in Abuja, on Monday sentenced a 20-year-old applicant, Joseph Agbanisi, to three years in prison for stealing a motorcycle worth N250,000.
The police charged the convict with joint act, extortion, theft, causing grievous hurt, assault, being in possession of dangerous weapon and belonging to a gang of thieves.
The Judge, Sani Mohammed, who summarily tried and convicted the defendant after he pleaded guilty to the charge, gave him no option of fine.
Earlier, the prosecutor, Vincent Osuji, told the court that the complainant, one Sunday Fukolo attached to Karu General Hospital, reported the matter at the Karu Police Station on Jan. 31.
He alleged that the convict armed with a spanner and hammer attacked the motorcycle rider, and snatched the Bajaj motorcycle, valued at N250,000
During police investigation, he said the defendant confessed to the crime
He also alleged that the police found that the convict and his accomplice belong ed to a gang of thieves.
The prosecutor said the offence contravened the provisions of sections 79, 292, 287, 269, 250, 319 and 306 of the Penal Code.(NNN)
Edited by Kevin Okunzuwa/Sadiya Hamza
- Eid-el-Maulud: MURIC urges youth to embrace FG’s SIP
- Verdict: Oyo APC lauds Appellate Court, urges calm
- Rotaract Club donates hospital items to Ojodu Lagos PHC
- Niger Govt. reinvigorates school sports to engage youths meaningfully
- Edo Govt. to provide 100,000 hectares of land for oil palm investors
- MSD campaign: Obiano warns immunisation workers against collection of tips
- 2019 AFRIFF: Tanzania Film Board woos Africa movie investors
- Igbo youths celebrate Mamman Daura at 80, felicitate with Muslims on Eid-el-Maulud
- 60% of drugs imported to be manufactured locally – NAFDAC
- Buhari greets ex-Anambra Gov. Virgy Etiaba at 77
- 2019 AFRIFF: Namibia Film Commission seeks collaboration with Nigerian filmmakers
- Delta guber: Appeal Court reserves judgment in Ogboru’ suit
- Court reserves judgment in appeal against Ihedioha’s election
- Edo Special Marshals strategise for optimal efficiency during Yuletide
- Lam Adesina: 120 students benefit N1.2m bursary award
- Imbibe spirit of love, patience, equity, lawmaker advises Muslims
- NAFDAC calls for stiffer punishment for drug traffickers
- Expert urges govt. to fund artificial intelligence research to boost ICT
- Appeal Court judgment: Oyo people’s mandate remains intact – Makinde
- NYSC DG expresses concern over dress code controversy