An Upper Area Court Mpape, Abuja, on Thursday sentenced a 19-year-old farmer, Yusuf Jimidi, to four months in prison for stealing five chickens, belonging to trader.
The judge, Hassan Muhammad, sentenced Jimidi after he pleaded guilty to theft.
Muhammad, however, gave the convict an option to pay a fine of N10,000 fine.
The judge also ordered the convict to pay N15,000 as compensation to the complainant, Aremo Folorunsho.
Earlier, the prosecutor, Mr M. Austin, told the court that the case was reported at Mpape Police Station by the complainant, Folorunsho, who resides in Mpape, Abuja on Sept. 16.
Austin said the convict stole five chickens valued at N15, 000.
He said that during Police investigation he confessed to the crime.
The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of Section 288 of the Penal Code.
edited by Emmanuel Nwoye/Sadiya Hamza
- COVID-19: Don’t play politics with people’s lives, Edo govt. tells opposition
- No Brexit breakthrough expected at next set of talks, EU adviser says
- Angolan president defends increase of domestic production
- News Analysis: Egypt’s real-estate sector resilient though impacted by COVID-19
- Belarus’ foreign debt falls 2.9 pct
- Don advises state govts to incorporate informal sector to boost IGR
- MURIC calls for release of detained Delta journalist
- COVID-19: Foundation partners FCTA to curtail spread
- Third Dutch abattoir closed following coronavirus outbreak
- UN rights chief shocked by caste-related killings in Nepal
- Google announces another addition’Plus Codes in Google Maps
- AU condemns police ‘murder’ of unarmed black man in the U.S.
- Somalia launches probe into murder of health workers
- Lawmaker appeals to Gov. Makinde to reinstate 46 LAUTECH workers
- UN warns of new swarm of locusts invading Horn of Africa
- Perennial power problem to be a thing of past – FG assures Nigerians
- EU says Hong Kong decision damages trust with China
- North Korea accuses U.S. of hurting its image with cyber threat warning
- Russia to allow some spectators in stadiums when top flight matches resume
- APC to boycott Benue councils poll