An Upper Area Court sitting in Kasuwan Nama, in Jos, on Thursday sentenced a 28-year-old labourer, Ibrahim Samaila, to two years in prison for stealing a ring from a sick woman.
The Judge, Mr Lawal Suleiman, sentenced Samaila after he pleaded guilty to thefts and begged the court for mercy, saying it was the devil that pushed him to steal.
Suleiman, however, gave the convict an option to pay a fine of N10, 000.
Earlier, the Prosecution Counsel, Monday Dabit, told the court that the case was reported on the July 29, by the complainant Hajiya Usaina Abubakar, who lives in Jos.
Dabit said that the convict stole N26,000 cash and a ring valued at N27,000 from the complainant’s sick mother.
During police investigation, he said, the ring was found with the convict.
The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of Section 271 and Punishable under Section 172 of the Penal Code Law.
- VP Osinbajo wants deepening of PPP for infrastructure development
- COVID-19: UN’s Deputy Secretary-General urges solidarity among countries
- Gombe State Govt begins fumigation of 2,021 schools ahead of reopening
- Ministry of Communications wins FG’s 2020 innovation competition prizes
- COVID-19: World Bank approves $114.28 m for Nigeria
- NSE: Trading sustains bullish trend, rises 0.45%
- PGF DG tasks APC Campaign Council on Edo governorship election
- Chinese court sentences another Canadian to death for drugs
- Obaseki celebrates Daisy Danjuma at 68
- AU body advises FG on holistic approach in fights against corruption