Justice Joyce Abdulmaleek of the Federal High Court, Ibadan on Wednesday sentenced a drug kingpin, Tajudeen Tela to life imprisonment for trafficking 37 kg of Indian Hemp.
In her judgment, Abdulmaleek said that Tela was convicted and sentenced based on the evidence before her and the fact that he pleaded guilty to the crime.
“In view of the overwhelming evidence against Tela, I cannot but apply the full weight of the law on him.
“As a result, the convict is sentenced to a maximum of life imprisonment without an option of fine.
“The Toyota Camry and the cash sum of N67, 000 found in possession of the convict are hereby forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.
“Also, the weed substances shall be destroyed by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA),” the Judge said.
Before the pronouncement, the Defence counsel, Mr Bassey Okon, had prayed the court to have mercy on his client by reducing his jail term.
Earlier, counsel to the NDLEA, Oyo State Command, Mr Raphael Himinkaiye, had told the court that the convict was facing a one-count charge bordering on unlawful transportation of cannabis.
He also said that Tela committed the crime on July 27 2017 in Ibadan.
Himinkaiye said the convict was apprehended in possession of 35 parcels of compressed cannabis which weighed 37 kg in a Toyota Camry with Reg. No. KJA91ML and a sum of N67, 000.
He stated that the offence was contrary to and punishable under Section 11 (B) of the NDLEA Act Cap N30 Law of the Federation 2004.
Speaking under the condition of anonymity, all the lawyers who witnessed the judgment expressed reservation, describing the judgment as being too ash.
Edited by Dada Ahmed
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears
- NAN correspondent gets accolades for sponsoring soccer tournament
- ECOWAS Presidents to meet on single currency regime Dec. 21
- FGGC Yola old students seek unity among children
- FEATURE: Gender-Based Violence: Do men suffer same?
- Nasarawa grassroots sports: Ezhiba defeat Alashe in competition organised by NAN Correspondent
- SWOFON commends women farmers’ successes in spite of challenges
- New Ondo IPAC chairman promises to build trust among members
- Education remains potent weapon to reduce unemployment -Buhari
- LG poll: ADSIEC Chairman expresses concern over low turnout of voters
- Experts outline ways to fund Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit through capital market
- Minister tasks Nigerians on regular exercise for healthy living
- Nollywood: Audition for ‘A Call to Service’, pro-NYSC scheme movie debuts in FCT
- Tallen gives N250, 000 cash prize to best UniJos graduating female students, to support 200 indigent ones with N4m
- Christmas: Enugu residents opt for de-stoned local rice as price of imported variant soars
- Xmas : SWAN donates cloths, food, celebrates with orphans
- Fair approach to governance sure guarantee for democratic stability – Gov. Tambuwal
- Ex-Chief of Army staff urges women, girls to acquire skills
- 981 Kogi teachers write professional exam
- Lagos-Ibadan rail project: NASS Joint C’ttee inspects, expresses satisfaction
- Provost hails Buhari for support to Ebonyi Federal Agric College
- NAN Correspondent organises unity football competition to boost unity in Nasarawa state
- Buhari condoles with UAE president over brother’s death
- Nigeria retains 95,000 slots for pilgrims in 2020 hajj – NAHCON
- NGO treks 3km to create awareness against sexual violence, women trafficking
- Residents of Ajeromi-Ifelodun LGA commend Nigeria Navy, Pakistan Navy medical collaboration
- Ajanaku, a great politician, democrat – Buhari
- Ekiti LG poll witnesses low turnout
- Buratai inaugurates multi-million Naira projects in Depot, NMS
- Christmas Carol: Naval officers,NOWA pray for Nigeria, leadership, Armed Forces
- Anambra Sports Development Commission tasks public on regular exercise
- Lack of synergy responsible for Nigeria’s loss at IMO council election – operators
- Gov. Abiodun appoints Chokor Head of Service
- NTIC students donate Christmas gifts to sick children at LASUTH
- RIFAN recovers N35m CBN ABP loan in Niger
- Lekki residents protest against proposed location of 5-storey school building in residential estate
- Lawmaker urges waste managers to ensure cleaner Lagos
- Army conducts free medical outreach in 3 Enugu communities
- Wabote lists benefits of NLNG Train 7
- Group seeks participation of more women in farming
- Aguleri community builds unity centre worth N150m
- Eye centre performs 900 operations in 12 months
- Transport strikes continue in France amid fresh lorry blockades
- IPPIS: NECA urges FG, ASUU to initiate industrial relations process to resolve disagreement
- Former head of state, Abdulsalami underscores importance of traditional institutions
- UniJos graduates 11, 431 students, 74 first class, 97 PhDs
- Institute concludes environmental impact survey of Lagos, makes recommendations
- Sowore: Rights commission urges law enforcement officials to respect law