The World Health Organisation (WHO) Regional Office for Africa in Brazzaville, Congo, says there are now 8, 596 confirmed cases of COVID-19 on African continent with 383 deaths.
The UN’s health agency gave the update on its official twitter account @WHOAFRO.
“Africa now has a total of 8,596 confirmed cases, 383 deaths and 792 recovered from 51 Countries.
“Number of cases continue to rise on the African continent with 8,377 cumulative cases reported.
“Algeria and Cameroon have reported a sharp case increase in past 24 hours,’’ it stated.
Algeria had on Saturday reported 986 cases and 83 deaths while Cameroon confirmed 306 cases with seven deaths.
The agency said South Africa currently had the highest in the region with 1, 585 cases and nine deaths, followed by Algeria 1,251 cases with 130 deaths and Cameroon has 555 confirmed cases with nine deaths.
Meanwhile, Nigeria has 232 confirmed cases of COVID-19, 33 patients had been discharged with five deaths as at 9:30 p.m on Sunday
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a new virus.
The disease causes respiratory illness (like the flu) with symptoms such as a cough, fever, and in more severe cases, difficulty breathing.
You can protect yourself by washing your hands frequently, avoiding touching your face, and avoiding close contact (one meter or three feet) with people who are unwell.
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
- UNICEF appoints Cobhams Asuquo national ambassador – Official
- Around 200,000 people affected by floods in India’s Assam
- Singapore’s services industries see revenue decline 1.1 pct in Q1
- 4 laborers dead, 15 missing as boat sinks in Bangladesh
- ECOWAS Court updates its rules of procedure
- FG distributes relief items to 9,600 IDPs in Borno
- Cambodia lists 9 mountains as natural heritage sites
- Satellite herd-tracking program an “opportunity” for indigenous Australians
- Argentina sees record high COVID-19 cases amid economic uncertainty
- 90 illegal immigrants rescued off Libyan coast: IOM
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000-mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Commercial motorcyclists tested for COVID-19 in Rwanda
- Japanese police arrest suspect 10 months after deadly arson attack on Kyoto anime studio
- Trump accuses Twitter of interfering in U.S. elections
- Nigeria records 276 new COVID-19 cases, total now 8,344
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000 mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Angola’s central bank instructs major public bank to protect assets following fraud
- Tokyo stocks mixed in morning on economic revival hopes, profit-taking
- Internal border closures hurt Australian economy: PM
- G7 summit to be held in late June: White House