Mr Ekong Sampson, the Commissioner for Environment and Mineral Resources has constructed five boreholes and donated food items to constituents to prevent the spread of Coronavirus pandemic.
Sampson stated this in a town hall meeting with stakeholders in Mkpat Enin Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom on Tuesday.
He said the provision of boreholes and tap in towns and villages would ensure steady running water for people to wash their hands to prevent them from being infected with the Coronavirus.
He said the essence of the meeting was to enlighten people at the grassroots on the virus and how to protect themselves from being infected.
Nigeria News Agency reports that the commisioner donated five boreholes in the five clans that make up Mkpat Enin local government area of the state.
Samson also donated 100 bags of 50kg rice, other food items, hand sanitizers and N6 million to communities in Mkpat Enin council area.
“Covid-19 is a global calamity that has befallen mankind. It is like the rain that falls on the roofs of everybody. It is not a disease for the poor or the rich as most of you may think.
“The virus does not respect economic, social and political class, it has no regard for tribe, race and religion.
“It is neither PDP nor APC problem and that is why I am here to sensitise you on the virus and how to protect yourselves.
“I urge you to obey the government’s stay-at-home order, maintain social distancing, use hand sanitizer and wash your hands with running water,” he said.
Responding, the Clan Head of Ukpum Minya, Anthony Umanah thanked the commissioner for his benevolence and promised to educate his subjects to observe all regulations and instructions to prevent the infection and spread.
Edited By: Chinyere Bassey/Felix Ajide
- Sudan summons Ethiopian charge d’affaires in protest over army-backed cross-border attack
- Benue LG polls: Observers attribute low turn out to COVID-19
- COVID-19 won’t truncate Nigeria’s electoral process – INEC
- Legal practitioner seeks employment for youths to boost economy
- Serbian president satisfied with progress in Belgrade-Budapest railway construction
- Indian states ban consumption, spitting of tobacco in public places to prevent COVID-19
- COVID-19: UNIPORT begins mass production of face mask, hand sanitizers
- Kwara Muslim Council tasks Gov. AbdulRazaq to consolidate 1-year achievements
- Police arrest 16 suspects over kidnapping, armed robbery, others
- Air India Delhi-Moscow plane called back as pilot found COVID-19 positive
- Anniversary: APGA applauds Zamfara Govt for tackling insecurity
- La Liga clubs free to start full training from Monday
- COVID-19 deaths in Netherlands rise by 20
- Police confirm kidnap of 4 persons in Delta Community
- Runaway coronavirus positive case in Aba surrenders self, family to hospital
- NLC condemns killings in Sokoto
- People arrive at Bournemouth Beach in Britain
- S. Africa allows limited domestic air travel with further easing of COVID-19 restrictions
- West Indies to temporarily halve salaries of staff, players
- Educationist urges disability friendly facilities in public places