Connect with us

Health

COVID-19: Aisha Buhari donates equipment to Yobe govt

Published

on

Hajiya Aisha Buhari, Nigeria’s First lady on Monday donated medical equipment and drugs to support Yobe government in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic.

The First Lady, represented byAlhaji Bama’aji Kukawa, made the donation through her pet project “Future Assured programme”.

While presenting the materials, Kukawa said the equipment were donated to Yobe State University Teaching Hospital, Specialists’ Hospital and Maryam Abacha Family Support Hospital, all in Damaturu.

“This is part of Her Excellency’s efforts and commitment to complement government’s efforts in the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, through her Future Assured Programme” Kukawa said.

Receiving the items, Yobe Governor, Mai Mala Buni, said the intervention would complement, as well as add value to the prevention and control measures of the state government to curb the spread of coronavirus in the state.

“I am also pleased to inform you that Yobe state government had long before the report of any suspected case in the state, taken adequate measures for possible eventualities.

“Government constituted COVID-19 Prevention and Control Committee under the chairmanship of His Excellency, the Deputy Governor, Mr Idi  Gubana, with other critical stakeholders serving as members.

“We have also established three isolation centers equipped with the necessary equipment at the Yobe State Teaching Hospital, the Specialists’ Hospital and the Federal Medical Center Nguru” Buni said.

According to the Governor, government has coverted GAAT Hotel into an isolation center to cater for those who test positive.

The items donated include hand sanitizers, surgical face masks, respiratory masks, goggles, protective suits and drugs.

Edited By: Kevin Okunzuwa (NAN)

Foreign

Spotlight: United States Fed likely to offer more guidance on rates next week amid COVID-19 fallout

Published

on

By

The United States Federal Reserve is likely to provide more guidance at its policy meeting next week to signal intentions to keep interest rates near zero for a few years so as to help the economy get through the COVID-19 pandemic, according to several economists.

“One deliverable that we should be able to count on at the June meeting is the return of the Summary of Economic Projections (SEP),” Jay H. Bryson, acting chief economist at Wells Fargo Securities, wrote Monday in a report.

“We suspect that may open the door to implicit forward guidance, a tool heralded by policymakers before the current crisis as a primary mechanism for influencing policy,” he said.

The Fed usually releases the quarterly SEP four times each year, which lays out Fed officials’ expectations about growth, inflation, unemployment and short-term interest rates. But the central bank didn’t release the SEP in March as the evolving COVID-19 pandemic made it impossible for Fed officials to offer reliable economic forecasts.

The upcoming Fed meeting next Tuesday and Wednesday likely will include the first update to the SEP since December last year, according to Bryson.

“Rather than provide explicit forward guidance, committee members could implicitly signal that the fed funds rate is unlikely to increase through at least 2022 through changes in the dot plot,” Bryson said, referring to Fed officials’ individual forecasts of the federal funds rate.

“While the market reaction from such a move would likely be relatively small given that this appears to be the market’s base case scenario, it would at least reinforce the idea,” he said.

Roberto Perli, a former Fed staffer and now head of global policy research at Cornerstone Macro, also expected the SEP to show that Fed officials would not want to raise rates before 2022.

In Bryson‘s view, any changes to the Fed’s projections for federal funds rate over the longer run will be more important. “If the median projection for the longer-run fed funds rate falls precipitously, this could be a more material form of forward guidance,” he said.

Ryan Sweet, an economist with Moody’s Analytics, believed that the central bank is leaning toward an outcome-based forward guidance, similar but not identical to that used in the last recession.

“This time around, we anticipate that the Fed will use forward guidance that commits to delay the liftoff from the effective lower bound until full employment and 2% (inflation target) have been achieved,” Sweet wrote Monday in a note.

If the Fed adopted this approach to forward guidance, it would be dovish, requiring meeting both an employment threshold and an inflation threshold, rather than just one or the other,” he said.

The Fed cut interest rates to near zero at two unscheduled meetings in March and began purchasing massive quantities of U.S. treasuries and agency mortgage-backed securities to repair financial markets. It also unveiled new lending programs to provide up to 2.3 trillion U.S. dollars to support the economy in response to the pandemic.

The United States Commerce Department reported last week that economic activity in the first quarter contracted at an annual rate of 5 percent in a second estimate, 0.2 percentage point lower than the advance estimate.

That downwardly revised figure, however, still does not fully capture COVID-19‘s economic damage, and many analysts believe that the decline in the second quarter is expected to be much deeper.

The fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic will shrink the size of the United States economy by 7.9 trillion dollars over the next decade, according to new projections released by the Congressional Budget Office on Monday.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Turkey’s aquarium boosts hygiene measures against COVID-19

Published

on

By

Turkey’s largest thematic aquarium in Istanbul has boosted its measures on hygiene and public safety after it was reopened on Monday.

“We strictly apply the rules, which were advised by the country’s Scientific Board, to offer our visitors a safe tour,” Dilek Capanoglu, director of the aquarium, told Xinhua on Wednesday.

“Visitors are first welcomed at the entrance of the venue by a couple of fully equipped security officials who take their temperatures,” she said, noting that wearing masks is also mandatory in the venue.

“Signs, which remind the social distancing rule, can be seen in every 1.5 meters,” Capanoglu added. “So, everyone knows where to stand safely.”

The Istanbul Aquarium, home to nearly 17,000 land and sea creatures, reopened its doors to visitors on Monday in line with the country’s relaxing of the pandemic restrictions after being closed for over two months.

“During the quarantine period, our personnel continued to work to feed and care the residents of our aquarium, including sharks and penguins,” Capanoglu also said.

The aquarium, one of the biggest ones in the world, lures millions of visitors each year, offering them a wide range of activities, including diving with sharks and fish feeding.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19: Oyo activates 3 community testing sites

Published

on

The Oyo State Task Force  on COVID-19 on Wednesday activated three sites for COVID-19 samples collection in different communities in Ibadan.

The News Agency of Nigera reports that the community testing initiative was intended to accommodate  about 10,000 samples.

The community testing drive which was supervised by Dr Wasiu Olatunbosun, the state Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, began at the Alegongo Primary School, Lagelu West Local Council Development Area, Ibadan.

Olatubosun said that the community testing was free, and encouraged Oyo people to get tested when the team would reach their communities.

Gov. Seyi Makinde’s administration believes that the health of the citizenry is paramount and that government would pursue with vigour, its commitment to the sound health of the citizenry.

“We are treating this as an emergency; no amount spent by government on this is a waste.

”We believe the citizenry will contribute meaningfully to the productivity  of the state and, invariably, increase the gross domestic product of the state when they are healthy; by so doing, it will improve the economy of the state further.

“That is the reason we are doing everything possible to make sure that the people have access to medical care, most especially against anything that has to do with COVID-19,” he said.

He said that the task force started with selective testing and later engaged in Drive-Through/Walk-Through Testing at Adamasingba, where it advised the  people to drive in and  get tested.

“But we are reaching a stage where we have to go to the community, and that is why we are decentralising testing, which we call community testing.

“We are now moving to communities, local government areas. where we have encouraged people from all the communities to come out and get  tested.

“The essence of this is that we cannot sit down somewhere and be assessing people.

In figures, Oyo State is rated fourth  or fifth but we have tested far more than many states.

“We are doing this to have adequate and exact data to work with and arrest the spread of the virus from the community level,” the commissioner said.

The Incident Manager of the state’s Emergency Operations Centre (EOC), Dr Taiwo Ladipo, said that the community testing drive was the response of the State COVID-19 Task Force to the rising number of cases in the state.

We have 10 facilities across 10 local government areas and are targeting 10,000 people, but we are starting with three LGAs today.

These  are Ibadan South East, Ibadan Oluyole and Lagelu,” Ladipo said.


Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni (NAN)Ijeoma Popoola

Continue Reading

Foreign

Tunisia’s COVID-19 cases rise to 1,087 with 49 deaths

Published

on

By

Tunisian Ministry of Health on Wednesday announced one more COVID-19 death, bringing the total deaths in the country to 49.

A 70-year-old woman had passed away on Tuesday in Metlaoui in Gafsa governorate following her infection with COVID-19.

The country recorded one new case, bringing the number of the total COVID-19 cases to 1,087.

A total of 965 recoveries have been recorded.

The Tunisian government has imposed strict confinement measures shortly after the announcement of the first coronavirus case on March 2.

The North African country has received several batches of medical aid from the Chinese government, Chinese foundations and companies since late March to help its fight against the pandemic.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Yemen’s government reports 20 new COVID-19 cases, 419 in total

Published

on

By

The total number of COVID-19 cases in Yemen’s government-controlled provinces increased to 419 on Wednesday, as 20 new cases were confirmed.

The Yemeni Health Ministry said in a brief statement that during the past 24 hours, 20 cases of COVID-19 were detected in a number of provinces under the control of internationally-recognized government.

The ministry said that the number of recoveries in the government-controlled areas increased to 17 since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus on April 10.

Also, the government announced that the death toll from the deadly respiratory disease climbed to 95 in different areas under its control, including the southern port city of Aden.

The Yemeni government has taken several measures to contain the outbreak of COVID-19, including imposing a partial overnight curfew in Aden and other major cities under its control.

The government called on donors and relevant international humanitarian organizations to provide support to help contain the pandemic.

Yemen has been mired in a civil war since late 2014, when the Iran-backed Houthi group seized control of much of the country’s north and forced the internationally-recognized government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi out of Sanaa.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

Rivers may demolish markets for flouting COVID-19 directives, says Commissioner

Published

on

The Rivers Government warned on Wednesday that some markets in the state might be demolished for flouting the order of the government that trading should stop at the markets because of COVID-19.

The state’s Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mr Paulinus Nsirim, gave the warning in a statement issued in Port Harcourt.

He lamented that traders had continued to flout government’s directives that markets should be shut, due to rising cases of the coronavirus in the state.

Nsirim said that five markets in the state might be shut down permanently for flouting the directives. He did not elaborate.

The Rivers Government wishes to draw the attention of the general public that Mbiama Market has been closed down.

“Any attempt to continue trading activities at Mbiama Market will lead to complete demolition of the market.

The commissioner named Oginigba Market and two others as markets notorious for disobeying Gov. Nyesom Wike that the markets should be closed.

“The government warns that anybody who goes to Oginigba Market for any form of business will face the full wrath of the law.

Similarly, Oil Mill Market has been closed and as such all those using Igbo-Etche Road as an alternative market are warned to desist forthwith or risk destruction of their goods.

“Government has not approved any goat market at the Eleme/Ahoada stretch of the East-West road in the state.”

Nsirim directed authorities of Emohua and Ahoada-East Councils to shut down the goat market in the area immediately.


Edited By: Remi Koleoso/Silas Nwoha (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Palestine records 6 new COVID-19 cases, extends state of emergency

Published

on

By

A total of six new cases were registered in the West Bank and Gaza on Wednesday, a senior Palestinian official said.

Palestinian Minister of Health Mai al-Kaila said, “Five new cases were recorded in the Gaza Strip and one case was recorded in the West Bank today.”

She added that the number of Palestinians infected with the deadly virus has risen to 636.

Both the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank and Hamas authorities in the besieged Gaza Strip recently eased most of the precautionary measures against coronavirus.

Mosques, churches, restaurants, hotels, cafes, wedding halls, and public parks and gardens were opened after a complete lockdown for around three months.

However, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas issued earlier on Wednesday a presidential decree that extends the status of emergency in the West Bank for another month. The state of emergency was declared on March 5.

According to the official Palestinian news agency WAFA, the decree against the pandemic will be valid from June 4 to July 4.

So far, five patients have died and 531 recovered. Over 58,000 Palestinians are placed in quarantine.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

COVID-19: Kwara Govt gives conditions for worship centres to reopen Friday

Published

on

Kwara Government says worship centres may reopen from Friday,  June 5 if religious centres  satisfy certain criteria already agreed with various religious umbrella bodies in the state.

Mr Kayode Alabi, the Deputy Governor and Chairman of the Technical Committee on COVID-19, stated this while briefing newsmen in Ilorin on Wednesday.

He,  however, warned that the concession for churches and mosques to reopen does not mean that the state had flattened the curve of transmission of the COVID-19 pandemic.

He said  the decision came hours after the Kwara State Technical Committee on COVID-19 held a marathon meeting with the leadership of the Muslim and Christian communities, including the Jama’atu Nasrul Islam (JNI) and the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN).

“We are definitely not out of the woods as cases continue to rise, especially because of violation of travel restrictions

“The meeting centred around whether or not to reopen the worship centres across the state, as suggested by the Federal Government.

” However, in line with the presidential advisory and the positions of our religious umbrella bodies in the state, worship centres may reopen from June 5,  provided they satisfy the following conditions:

“Worship centres shall be organised by the respective head of the congregation in such a way that one attendant is at least one metre away from the next

” Each worship centre shall make provisions for hand washing or hand sanitiser and infrared thermometer

” Wearing of face masks shall be mandatory for all worshippers

“There shall be no hand shaking or hugging among worshippers

” Children remain restricted from worship centres and people above 65 or persons with underlying health conditions are urged to stay away from worship centres

“Muslims should perform ablution from their own houses. Ablution spots are not allowed for now to avoid the spread of the virus.

” Muslim women are to stay away from mosques, as suggested by the leadership of the Muslim community in the state.

“Each worship centre is to dedicate a few minutes before service or prayers to educate attendants about COVID-19 and its dangers,” the deputy governor said.

He said the government’s Rapid Response Team (RRT) shall conduct random visit to worship centres to take samples and do temperature checks.

The deputy governor said that government shall hold affected religious leaders responsible for non compliance with all COVID-19-related safety measures in their worship centres.

He added that all the conditions was agreed to  by the religious umbrella bodies.

He said further that the leadership of religious communities agreed that any worship centre that violated these provisions would be shutdown and its leadership strictly held accountable.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Felix Ajide (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Turkey does not expect second wave of COVID-19: health minister

Published

on

By

Turkish health minister on Wednesday said Turkey does not expect a second wave of the COVID-19 outbreak as long as the citizens take precautions.

“Under the current circumstances, we can say that we do not expect a second wave depending upon your understanding with regards to the pandemic and precautions,” Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said at a press conference.

He warned about the risks of the virus although the country has gone to the normalization stage for the outbreak measures. As people take measures against the infection, they can protect their health while “speeding up the economy which has slowed down” due to the outbreak, the minister said.

“We have not returned to the normal conditions, but we are trying to do that in a planned way,” Koca stated.

Turkey’s total novel coronavirus cases climbed to 166,422, with 867 new patients in the past 24 hours, he said.

In a single day, 24 more people have died, taking the death toll to 4,609, the minister said.

Turkey conducted 52,305 tests for coronavirus in the last 24 hours, bringing the overall number of tests carried out so far to 2,155,349, he stated.

Koca noted that a total of 130,852 patients have recovered in the country since the outbreak, while 612 patients are being treated at the intensive care units and 261 others being intubated.

Turkey reported the first COVID-19 case in the country on March 11.

Turkey and China have supported each other in the fight against COVID-19. Chinese doctors and medical experts held a video conference with Turkish counterparts to share experience in treating coronavirus patients, protecting medical workers, and controlling the spread of the virus.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also