Connect with us

General news

COVID-19: ASUU presents sensitisation materials to A’Ibom govt.

Published

on

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), University of Uyo chapter, has presented sensitisation materials to the Akwa Ibom government to enlighten the residents on COVID-19.
The ASUU Chairperson, Dr Happiness Uduk, presented the materials to the state Commissioner for Health, Dr Dominic Ukpong, on Tuesday in Uyo.
Uduk said that the gesture was in response to the directive from the National President of ASUU that the union should contribute its quota towards containing the spread of the virus.
She said that the materials had been translated into Ibibio, Annang, Oro, Ekid and other dialects for people to understand the directives on the lockdown.
The chairperson said that apart from the printed materials, ASUU also presented 300 liters of hand sanitisers and more than 100 pieces of face masks.
She noted that ASUU, as a responsible organization, was doing this even though its members had not got their salaries for months now.
“Although the Federal Government has not paid us for some months now, we still have to show concern about the plight of our citizens; that was why we decided to bring in these items.
“Our national body has asked branches all over the federation to try to assist the government of the states where our universities are situated in one way or the other in these tough times.
ASUU is a very sensitive organisation; we have to identify with the plights of the masses. So, in spite of all we are passing through, we thought we should support the efforts of government in fighting the pandemic.
“What we did was try to translate the materials into our local dialects and pidgin English so that people at the grassroots can really understand what is happening world over as it affects us in Nigeria and by extension, Akwa Ibom state,” Uduk said.
In his remarks, Dr Aniekan Brown, Chairperson, Calabar zone of ASUU, comprising seven universities, lauded the Akwa Ibom government for the steps it had taken to control the spread of the virus in the state.
Brown noted that the outbreak of the pandemic had exposed the poor health facilities in the country, as attested to by the Secretary to the Government of Federation (SGF) recently.
Responding, Ukpong commended ASUU for supporting the state government.
The commissioner said that the state government had yet to receive support from the Federal Government in tackling the pandemic.
Ukpong said that the government had put necessary facilities in place to curb the spread of the virus in the state.
The commissioner said that the five cases that tested positive in the state were responding to treatment and awaiting reconfirmation tests.
According to him, they are held in the state isolation facility under the close watch of medical professionals.
“So far, there has been no negative health report concerning any of them (confirmed cases). None of them has so far completed the 14 days follow-up and none of them has escaped from constant observation,’’ Ukpong said.

Edited By: Johnson Eyiangho and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

General news

Post-COVID-19: Expert tasks parents on discipline

Published

on

Mr Idowu Olanipekun, a development professional at the Centre for Development and Protection (CEDEP) in Ibadan, has urged parents to be disciplined in adjusting their way of life after the COVID-19 pandemic.

Olanipekun gave the advice in Ibadan on Tuesday while speaking on life after the COVID-19 against the background of the Global Day of Parents.

He stated that a downturn in the economy with effects on other facets of life would present herculean tasks in the management and resurgence of homes, businesses and religious centres

Olanipekun ,however, enjoined parents to remain resolute in stabilisation efforts in order to forestall a second wave of COVID-19 which might portend greater danger than the first.

” The key to general sustenance after this pandemic period is discipline.

“Imbibing all-round discipline as a tool of suppressing the sour experiences of COVID-19 pandemic period is a challenge that should be a weapon for curtailing the outbreak of a second wave starting from the home front by our parents.

“In other words, post COVID -19 parenting watchword should be discipline in consonance with every area of life,” he said.

The expert urged parents to guard how they spend their income as purchasing power would drop drastically before the economy would improve.

“Parents should be technical in drawing a scale of preference for their needs and wants upon which priorities are set.

“There shouldn’t be any room for extravagant spending even at the level of the children’s education.

“Reality of time should be allowed to lead us into the next economic phase of life,” he said.

Olanipekun also enjoined parents to teach and expose their children to all necessary medical tips against COVID-19.

He added that this should be in line with the Presidential Task Force guidelines on checking the spread of the pandemic such as hand washing, use of sanitisers as well as wearing of facemasks.

“Also, with the ease of lockdown, parents are expected to guide their children at the various worship centres and programmes if not excluding them completely from participating in religious activities to curb the resurgence of COVID -19.

“Everyone should inculcate the act of social and physical distancing, most especially as children will be attending classes on resumption of academic session, while limiting their exposures to other social activities,” he said.

(
Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Mufutau Ojo (NAN)
)

Continue Reading

General news

Kwara records 23 new cases of COVID-19

Published

on

Kwara has  recorded 23 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of infections in the state to 111, with 37 discharged and one death.

Mr Rafiu Ajakaye, Chief Press Secretary to the Governor and Spokesman for Technical Committee on COVID-19, made this known in a statement in Ilorin on Tuesday.

“With this, the state now has a total of 111 confirmed cases, out of which 73 are active and 37 have recovered and discharged with one death.

“Regardless, the government warned people against letting down their guards as the level of threat of infection remains high across the country,” he said.


Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Ali Baba-Inuwa (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Namibia cancels 2020 Mining Expo due to COVID-19 outbreak

Published

on

By

Namibia’s Chamber of Mines has decided to cancel the 2020 Mining Expo and Conference due to reported new infections in the country, an official said Tuesday.

In a press statement, Chamber of Mines Chief Executive Officer Veston Malango said while the situation in Namibia appears to have stabilized, the chamber is under no illusion that the country is spared from possibility of further infections.

Previously the chamber had postponed the expo to September but Malango said that the postponed dates fall within the extended state of emergency which lapses around September with no certainty whether it will be further extended.

“It is thus not possible to predict the actions or decisions by government pertaining to large gatherings such as the mining expo in response to further COVID-19 developments,” Malango said.

He said the mining expo will be back in 2021.

Namibia has so far recorded 25 positive COVID-19 cases.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Health

Bayelsa records 2nd COVID-19-related death

Published

on

Bayelsa COVID-19 Task Force Committee, on Tuesday, announced the second death related to the global pandemic, in Bayelsa.

This is contaned in a statement issued to News Agency of Nigeria by the Director, Public Health, Dr Stow Jones.

NAN reports that the deceased was a middle-aged Bayelsa resident, who was presented at one of the public hospitals a week ago.

Jones said the deceased was critically ill with signs suggestive of kidney disease.

“He was thus been managed as such and had some sessions of dialysis.

“Further clinical investigations revealed he also had signs suggestive of a possible COVID- 19 infection.

“Samples were thus collected from him, which returned positive for COVID-19.

“His test result was among the nine positive results announced by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), for Bayelsa on May 31.

“He was still due for a final session of dialysis on monday June 1. He, however, passed away on the night of May 31,” Jones said.

The Director of Public Health added that the victim had been buried by the COVID-19 Safe Burial Team, as witnessed by his relatives and friends.


Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Donald Ugwu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indian PM says India to get growth back despite COVID-19 impact

Published

on

By

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday said the country would get its growth back amid difficult circumstances posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Modi called upon captains of the country’s industry to invest and strengthen the supply chain which had been adversely affected by the countrywide lockdown to control the pandemic.

Addressing the annual session of the Confederation of Indian Industry, Modi said, “I am confident enough that we will definitely get our growth back. The reasons behind my such confidence are our capability and crisis management, Indians’ talent and intellect, technology and innovation, faith on Indian farmers and industry leaders.”

Five things — intent, inclusion, investment, infrastructure and innovation — were of utmost importance for achieving this target, added Modi.

Calling upon the industry to make India “self-reliant,” he said the focus should be on increasing exports. India’s share in global exports is minimal and it needed to be increased, he added.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Wait times for elective surgeries “through the roof” in Australian hospitals due to COVID-19

Published

on

By

Some Australians are being forced to wait months for elective procedures usually accessed within weeks as a result of the coronavirus crisis.

About 400,000 elective surgeries were cancelled after non-urgent procedures were banned from March 25 in order to ease the pressure on the healthcare system amid the COVID-19 pandemic and prevent the spread of the virus.

Experts are now urging governments to address the backlog in private hospitals where two thirds of elective surgeries are conducted.

On average private hospital patients normally wait 24 days for elective surgeries but the backlog now means they will wait months.

Rachel David, the chief executive of Private Healthcare Australia (PHA), said that wait times would continue to go “through the roof” unless social distancing barriers limiting surgery capacity were eased for hospitals.

Some hospitals have been given the green light to gradually return to 100 percent of their pre-pandemic elective surgery capacity by July but Michael Roff, the chief executive of the Australian Private Hospitals Association, said social distancing restrictions made doing so challenging.

Even in South Australia, where there’s no restrictions on the volume of elective surgery, most of the private hospitals are still only operating at about 80 per cent capacity, because of social-distancing arrangements they have to put in place,” Roff told Nine Entertainment newspapers recently.

“We’re under pressure from both the doctors who practice in private hospitals and health insurers to get back to normal as soon as possible but at the same time we have to operate safely.

“As we’ve seen in Tasmania, if you get a case of COVID in a hospital, then the whole hospital shuts down.”

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Germany adds 213 new COVID-19 cases, total at 182,028

Published

on

By

New COVID-19 infections in Germany remained under last week’s average as the number of confirmed cases increased by 213 in a day to 182,028, the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) said Tuesday.

Last week, an average of 457 daily cases had been reported by the RKI, the federal government agency for disease control and prevention.

The RKI said the number of deaths from COVID-19 increased by 11 to 8,522 on Tuesday, the fatality rate remained at 4.7 percent.

The number of people currently infected with COVID-19 in Germany continued to fall to around 15,600 on Tuesday as the estimated number of recoveries increased by around 600 within one day to 166,400.

However, the 4-day average reproduction rate (R-number) of COVID-19 increased to 1.2, according to the RKI daily situation report on Monday. The R-number had already risen above one over the weekend.

Chancellor Angela Merkel and the RKI had stressed numerous times that the R-number had to be below one in order ease restrictions in Germany. An R-number below one indicates that one infected person is passing on the disease to less than one person on average.

The RKI stressed the R-number in Germany was “sensitive to short-term changes,” including local outbreaks such as a cluster infection caused by family reunion near the city of Goettingen.

Merkel announced Saturday an economic stimulus package to help the German economy get back on track. Germany’s governing coalition is expected to decide on the details of the package on Tuesday.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Istanbul’s nostalgic tram resumes services as COVID-19 pandemic eases

Published

on

By

The nostalgic tram services in central Istanbul resumed operations on Tuesday after being stopped for more than two months because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Istanbul municipality said the tram that travels from Taksim Square along the pedestrian Istiklal Street would provide service with 50 percent of capacity given the “continuing danger of the pandemic.”

A journey with the historic tram on Istiklal, lined with cafes, restaurants and stores of world-famous brands, is one of the favorite activities for tourists in the Turkish largest city.

The tram line on the street was first inaugurated in 1883 during the Ottoman Empire era. Today it carries around 400,000 passengers per year.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Uganda reports 32 new cases of COVID-19

Published

on

By

Uganda’s ministry of health on Tuesday reported 32 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 489.

Out of the 2,276 samples collected from cross-border cargo truck drivers and communities over the last 24 hours, 19 Ugandan truck drivers and 13 contacts and alert cases tested positive for the virus, said the statement.

Additionally, 25 foreign truck drivers who tested positive for COVID-19 were handed over to their respective countries of origin.

Out of the 489 COVID-19 cases, 79 have recovered and no one has died of the disease in the country, according to the ministry of health.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also