The Bishop gave the advice in Enugu on Wednesday in his 2020 Easter Message, which centred on the “Need for Christians to Hope in God’’.
Christians worldwide will mark Easter Sunday on April 12, in commemoration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ after his crucifixion.
He, however, said that the outbreak of COVID-19 was a sign that God wanted humanity to return to him.
The bishop said that God alone could stop further spread of the virus as well as heal affected persons.
He described COVID-19 as a “leveller’’, as it affected all categories of persons in the society.
“The virus provides both the clergy and laity an opportunity to go into real purification of their life in order to become better Christians,’’ Onaga said.
He said that Easter is a divine celebration that reminds Christians of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary to liberate man from the shackles of sin and reconcile him to God.
Onaga said that the pains and difficulties faced by Christians today would prepare them for eternal life.
“It is the celebration of hope,’’ he said.
The bishop urged people to adhere to the social distancing protocol, wash their hands and use hand sanitiser regularly to avoid spreading the virus in Enugu State.
Edited By: Vivian Ihechu/Oluwole Sogunle
- UNECA encourages Africa to invest on digital transformation
- Sanwo-Olu commiserates with New Telegraph over editor’s death
- EEDC warns against obstruction of power line, condoles with family of Nnewi electrocution victim
- France reports more than 28,500 coronavirus deaths
- Gov. Matawalle appoints new Emir of Kaura Namoda
- COVID-19: NCDC activates additional 2 labs, bringing total to 28
- Espanyol, Leganes offer free 2020-2021 season tickets to fans
- Lockdown: Anambra, Delta adopt strategies to check movement on Niger Bridge
- Putin reschedules WWII parade to June 24 after delay due to pandemic
- Gov Abiodun mourns Chief Imam of Egbaland, Orunsolu
- Masari expresses worries over Katsina’s COVID-19 status
- Banditry: Group urges FG to review security response system
- Tourism-dependent countries in Europe look to mid-June ‘D-Day’
- We stemmed militancy in Delta through infrastructure, youth empowerment – Okowa
- Macron promises 8bn euros to aid virus-hit French car industry
- ECB says pandemic amplifies pre-existing financial risks
- Kenyan gov’t to clear 50km traffic jam at border into landlocked Uganda – Minister
- COVID-19: Bayelsa vows to continue, complete demolition of illegal structures in Yenogoa
- Buhari salutes Chief Edwin Clark at 93
- Chile’s LATAM airline files for bankruptcy after COVID-19 decimates sales