The President, Handball Federation of Nigeria (HFN), Samuel Ocheho, has cautioned the handball family against spreading unverified stories about coronavirus.
Ocheho, in a statement on Wednesday in Lagos said that dispersal of unverified stories about the virus would create and build unnecessary tensions among the people.
He enjoined all to endeavour to observe all hygiene measures put in place by various governments.
“With global spread of COVID-19, it has become very imperative for everyone in the handball family to stay safe.
“We should ensure to observe all necessary precautions as stated by authorities and government in charge of the process.
“Let us also avoid spreading unverified rumors on COVID-19 as it only heats up the process unnecessarily,” he said.
Ocheho also advised the handball family to ensure social distancing and adhere to necessary precautions instructed by relevant health bodies.
“Let us ensure washing of hands with soap and stay away from large gatherings. Practice social and physical distancing.
“On behalf of the HFN, I plead with all handballers and stakeholders to stay safe and remain well,” he said.
The handball president noted that HFN had suspended all its activities including the Prudent Energy Handball Premier League Phase One.
“This is an Olympic qualifying league which is to hold in Abuja. It has been postponed due to spread of the Covid-19 in Nigeria,’’ he said.
Ocheho added that the National Sports Festival which was to hold in Edo had also been postponed because of the virus.
Edited By: Chinyere Bassey/Donald Ugwu
Watch Live News
- PSG launch crowdfunding platform to fight coronavirus
- Group wants FG expose perpetrators of fire outbreak at AGF’s Office
- 3, 608 healthcare workers benefit from training on response to COVID-19- NCDC
- COVID-19: Oyo planning law to make wearing of face mask compulsory
- Coronavirus fight: Chinese experts arrive in Nigeria, to remain in quarantine for 14 days
- COVID-19: 5 men docked over alleged violation of stay-at-home order
- Don’t treat patients without PPE, Kwara NMA tells members
- COVID-19: NYSC seeks Kano Govt’s support to produce protective matetials
- Nigerian startup, mDoc selected for Google’s Startups Accelerator on SDGs
- COVID-19: Bayelsa govt. relaxes lockdown for Easter celebrations