The Nigerian Medical Association in Cross River has suspended its indefinite withdrawal of services in all public and private hospitals in the state.
The Association suspended the strike in a communique jointly signed by the state Chairman, Dr Agam Ayuk and the Secretary, Dr Ezoke Epoke at the end of an Emergency General Meeting held in Calabar.
The Association had earlier embarked on strike on July 5 on the failure of the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) to reflect the five Covid-19 cases sent for laboratory test by the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital which returned positive.
Following the earlier withdrawal of services by NMA in the state, the Federal Government on July 6, sent a 17-member delegation from the Presidential Task Force (PTF) and the Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH) to Cross River.
The team was led by the Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer of National Primary Healthcare, Dr Faisal Shuaibu, to set up a Covid-19 response strategy in the state that will align with the national response.
However, on July 6 the five confirmed positive cases were recorded on the NCDC table.
“The Association hereby suspends the total and indefinite withdrawal of medical services in all public and private hospitals in Cross River with immediate effect.
“We deeply appreciate the Director General of NCDC, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, for the activation of two COVID-19 Test Centres at the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH) and Lawrence Henshaw Memorial Hospital, Calabar.
“We are most grateful to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and Chairman PTF on COVID-19, Mr Boss Mustapha and the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Enahire for the timely 17-member delegation from the Presidential Task Force and Federal Ministry of Health.
“We also appreciate the NMA President, Prof. Innocent Ujah, the National Officers’ Committee and members of NMA for their support to NMA in Cross River.
“The Association welcomes the official recognition of the five COVID-19 confirmed cases from UCTH by NCDC which has resolved the lingering uncertainties negatively impacting public health and safety and has provided clarity on the COVID-19 status of Cross River and the required response strategy,” the communique stated.
The Association enjoined the Cross River Government to keep to the resolutions of the meeting held between oH COVID-19 delegation, NMA Cross River branch and the Cross River Ministry of Health on July 7.
NMA appealed to citizens of Cross River to follow the NCDC guidelines on infection prevention and control, thereby reinforcing their commitment to working with the Federal and State Governments to contain the spread of COVID-19.
“We sincerely thank the Chief Medical Director of UCTH, Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, and Management of UCTH, the Immediate Past NMA 2nd Vice President, Dr Ofem Enang, Immediate Past Chairman, Dr Effiong Mkpanam, Past Chairmen of the Association, distinguished Medical Elders and members of NMA, Cross River branch.
“We appreciate the media and citizens of Cross River for their understanding, patience and support during this challenging period,” the Association said.
Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)
COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records
COVID-19: FCT leads with 130 cases, as Nigeria records 386 new infections
August 2, 2020 6:14 am By Abujah Racheal
The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) led the pack on Saturday with 130 Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases as the country recorded 386 new infection in the country.
Data from the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC ) showed that the cases were spread across 18 states and the FCT.
The NCDC said that FCT topped the list for the of states with higher daily cases of COVID-19 for the third time consecutively with 130, while Lagos, the epicentre of the virus, reported 65.
Other states with new cases were Ondo, 37, Osun, 29, Plateau, 23, Rivers, 15, Enugu, 14, Nasarawa, 12, Bayelsa, 11, Ebonyi, 11, Ekiti, 9, Oyo 8, Edo, 8, Abia, 6, Ogun, 3, Katsina, 3, Imo 1 and Adamawa 1.
The health agency said that Nigeria had now successfully treated 20,087 COVID-19 cases following the discharge of 522 additional patients in the last 24 hours.
The health agency noted that four more persons have died from the disease.
According to the NCDC, till date, a total of 43,537 cases of the virus have been confirmed, 20,087 cases discharged and 883 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
The NCDC noted that a multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre (EOC) activated at Level 3 would continue to coordinate the national response activities across the country.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Nigeria conducted 145,454 tests in July and recorded 17,457 positive cases during the same period.
It said compared to June, the figures represented 95 per cent increase in testing numbers and 12 per cent increase in positive cases.
”It is good news that Nigeria significantly stepped up testing in July. The 95 per cent increase in testing in July compared to June only resulted in 12 per cent increase in positive cases.
”June, 74,580 tests, 15,532 positive cases. July, 145,454 tests, 17,457 positive cases. July also recorded one of the lowest monthly test positivity to date.
”July test positivity is 12 per cent . June test positivity is 21 per cent. May test positivity is 17 per cent. July also records 51 per cent of cumulative test in the country,” it said.
The Agency said that states that had made this possible by their daily increase in testing were, Kano, Plateau, Oyo, Lagos, FCT and Rivers States in July. (NAN)
COVID-19: LASG closes Eti-Osa Isolation Centre
Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State, says the Eti-Osa Isolation Centre has been closed down, with effect from Friday night.
Sanwo-Olu announced the closure at Lagos House, Marina, during the 17th update on the management of coronavirus in the state.
The governor said that the Agidingbi Isolation Centre would also be closed and the patients relocated to a large capacity centre – Indo-Centre in Anthony area, which would be soon be inaugurated.
“Over the last four, five months, we have built excess capacity centre, but that is only the way to go, you cannot over-prepare.
“We have got to a stage where we need to balance the economics of this and which of these facilities do we need to keep running.
“Some of them now are having less than 20 per cent of occupancy.
“This is why we reach a conclusion to shut Eti-Osa facility and another one in Lekki,’’ the governor said.
He explained that the Infectious Diseases Hospital (IDH) in Yaba “is now also gradually being reverted back to its former status as a hospital to cater to all forms of infectious diseases’’.
Sanwo-Olu said that in June, the government further expanded COVID-19 testing capacity in Lagos with the accreditation of seven private laboratories.
According to him, in the week ended July 26, the government successfully tested close to 9,000 samples in Lagos State, across the public and private sector laboratories.
He said that it showed a 50 per cent increase from the approximately 6,000 samples tested in each of the preceding two weeks.
The governor said that the increase in testing would lead to an increase in the number of daily confirmed cases of the virus in the state.
According to him, this is a welcome development, since the government’s capacity to contain the pandemic depends significantly on how successful it is in identifying all the existing cases.
“I must, however, also mention that we have seen a general decrease in positivity rates in Lagos State over the past two weeks, which, combined with the increase in testing numbers, paints a very encouraging picture of the outcome of our response strategy.
“We will continue to fine-tune our efforts and strategies to build on our successes and close any existing gaps.
“It has now been five months since the first case of coronavirus was recorded in Nigeria.
“As at July 31, Lagos state has had a total of 15,150 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 10,835 persons who have recovered and discharged.
“We have sadly lost 194 persons to the virus.
“This leaves us with 1,813 active cases in community and 96 under management across various isolation centres in the state,’’ he said.
Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
Gov Fayemi recovers from COVID-19 after 11 days in isolation
by Ariwodola Idowu
Ado Ekiti, Aug 01, 2020, Gov. Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti has recovered from COVID-19, after 11 days in isolation.
Fayemi , in the early hours of Saturday confirmed this new development on his verified Twitter handle.
The governor thanked God and his numerous well wishers across the globe for his recovery for their prayers and support.
NAN reports that he announced that he had been infected with the virus 11 days ago and consequently proceeded on self isolation.,
Shortly after then, State Commissioner for Information and Values Orientation, Muyiwa Olumilua, announced in a statement, that wife of the Governor, Mrs Bisi Fayemi, his family and members of the state cabinet had undergone the COVID-19 tests to determine their status.
State Health Commissioner, Dr Mijisola Yaya-Kolade followed suit few days later to confirm that the state Commissioner for Justice and Attorney-General, Mr Wale Fapohunda and some unnamed members if the state cabinet had also tested positive.
NAN reports that Fayemi, while breaking the latest news on his Twitter handle, on Saturday, had tweeted thus: “After 11 days in isolation, I received news that my COVID 19 repeat test came back negative.
“My sincere gratitude goes to God Almighty, my family, my medical team and all well wishers for the prayers and solidarity.
“We must continue to do all we can to tackle the pandemic”.
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)
Eid-el-Kabir: Ex-Lagos lawmaker tasks leaders on sacrifices
Mr Dipo Olorunrinu, a former member of the Lagos State House of Assembly, on Friday urged Nigerian leaders to make more sacrifices for the masses.
In a message to mark 2020 Eid-el-Kabir, Olorunrinu, who represented Amuwo-Odofin Constituency I in the Eight Lagos Assembly, said that Eid-el-Kabir signified sacrifice and selflessness.
The lawmaker said that sacrifices were necessary for national unity and progress.
According to him, except Nigerians, especially leaders, resolve to embrace the virtues of sacrifice and selflessness, the dream of the founding fathers of the nation will not be achieved.
Olorunrinu said: “As we celebrate this year’s Eid-el-Kabir, let us reflect on the lesson of sacrifice which Eid-el Kabir signifies, and use the opportunity to pray for these virtues to be demonstrated by Nigerians.
“The year’s Sallah is a clarion call for Nigerians to do more on sacrifice, compassion, selflessness and sincere commitment to work for the unity and progress of this country.
“Considering what the nation is going through, there is the need for more selfless services to God and humanity. This season should go beyond merriment and fun-making. Let us sacrifice more for the poor,” he said.
According to him, Nigerians should renew their commitment to live together, ensure good neighbourliness and love for the country.
“As we celebrate this festive season, let us renew our faith in our nation and work hard to make the country work. Let us pray God to restore the nation to the path of greatness.”
“This year’s Eid-el-Kabir also calls for more patience and patriotism for the good of all and the nation.
“These are virtues needed at this time for the nation to move forward.
“If we all sacrifice for one another, our society will be a good one to live in, as both the rich and the poor will be happy and safe.
“I wish my Muslim bothers and sisters in Amuwo Odofin, Lagos State and Nigeria as a whole happy Eid-el-Kabir,” he said.
Olorunrinu advised Nigerians to take responsibility to stop the spread of COVID-19 by adhering strictly to all the precautionary measures.
He urged Muslims to celebrate responsibly and be cautious of COVID -19.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Muslims in Nigeria celebrated the 2020 Eid-el-Kabir on Friday.
Edited By: Ijeoma Popoola (NAN)