A member of Oyo State House of Assembly, Mr Olasunkanmi Babalola, on Tuesday donated food items to people of his constituency as palliative during COVID-19 partial lockdown in the state.
Babalola, representing Egbeda Constituency, told the Nigeria News Agency in Ibadan that the donated items were distributed to the elderly and other vulnerable persons.
He said the gesture was aimed at complementing the effort of the state government in providing relief materials for the people of the state during the partial lockdown.
“This is not politics, it is borne out of my passionate desire to protect my people from COVID-19 that is ravaging the world. I have been engaging in this kind of humanitarian gesture for years and we are not going to stop.
“I believe this is the best time to protect the elderly and other citizens especially in Egbeda, my constituency.
“Our people are really suffering and with the issue of coronavirus, I think we have to find a way to make sure our people live well,” Babalola explained.
The lawmaker added that the government was trying to ensure that COVID-19 cases did not escalate, urging the people to strictly adhere to precautionary measures.
NAN reports that Babalola gave out packs of rice and salt during the occasion while social distancing was observed in the sharing process.
Edited By: Razak Owolabi/Wale Ojetimi
- Argentina sees record high COVID-19 cases amid economic uncertainty
- 90 illegal immigrants rescued off Libyan coast: IOM
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000-mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Commercial motorcyclists tested for COVID-19 in Rwanda
- Japanese police arrest suspect 10 months after deadly arson attack on Kyoto anime studio
- Trump accuses Twitter of interfering in U.S. elections
- Nigeria records 276 new COVID-19 cases, total now 8,344
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000 mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Angola’s central bank instructs major public bank to protect assets following fraud
- Tokyo stocks mixed in morning on economic revival hopes, profit-taking
- Internal border closures hurt Australian economy: PM
- G7 summit to be held in late June: White House
- Trump seeks full withdrawal from Afghanistan without setting date
- Sydney Film Festival launches online program
- Uganda approves return of citizens stranded abroad over COVID-19
- Kyoto animation studio arson suspect arrested on suspicion of murder
- COVID-19 cluster detected on Australian live animal export ship
- Suspect in deadly arson attack at Kyoto animation studio arrested
- Urgent: 5.0-magnitude quake hits 92km S of Ierapetra, Greece — USGS
- Foreign-owned firms support over 730,000 jobs in California