Dr Ali Inname, Commissioner for Health and Chairman, Sokoto State Taskforce on COVID-19, said that the palliatives were received through Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development.
According to Inname, the aim of the gesture was to alleviate the harsh economic realities occasioned by measures imposed to curtail the spread of Coronavirus pandemic in the country.
He said that the state government has chosen the state Zakkat and Endowment Commission to undertake the distribution of the items, which include of 1800 50kg bags of rice and 600 of 25 litres of vegetable oil.
“This is considering the track record of the commission in ensuring successful humanitarian services across the state,” the commissioner said.
He also acknowledged the receipt of relief materials from Ecobank plc, Kaduna Electric Distribution Company and Coalition of Private Sector led by Alhaji Aliko Dangote among others.
Inname further said that the state has so far recorded 116 confirmed cases of COVID-19, out of which 90 had been successfully discharged while 13 deaths were recorded.
Earlier, Mr Muhammad Maidoki, the Chairman Zakkat and Endowment Commission commended the federal and the state governments for the gesture.
Maidoki promised to ensure that every supporting item given through the commission was taken to those it was meant for.
He added that for the inauguration, the commission would support each of the beneficiaries with N2,000 for transport.
Meanwhile, the state Zakkat commission in its statutory mandate distributed Zakkat of animals and cash collected from individuals in the state.
This include three cows, a sheep from Alhaji Tukur Toro farm and N300,000 receipt from the families of late Prof. Abdullahi Gwandu.
Edited By: Chinyere Bassey/Felix Ajide (NAN)
- Bayern Munich with one hand on league title after 1-0 win at Dortmund
- COVID-19: Ooni donates fumigator, cash to UCH Ibadan
- Palliative: Kano Govt denies destroying FG foodstuff
- Afghanistan begins freeing 900 Taliban prisoners, urges truce extension
- APA wants forensic examination of election materials in Enugu South LGA
- Leipzig Captain Poulsen out with ligament injury
- Global film festival aims to bridge coronavirus distances
- Real Madrid forward, Bale, questions critics of golf hobby
- Katsina Gov’t investigates causes of unusual rise in death rate
- LIRS further extends deadline for filing Annual Tax Returns to June 30
- Man United in talks with Ighalo’s club over Nigerian star’s future
- Kano Govt. clarifies on ongoing work at Sani Abatcha isolation centre
- Ondo 2020: No automatic ticket for Agboola — PDP
- Zoho offers guidance on right software for non technology companies
- Forensic Audit: NDDC 2019 budget was padded with over 500 fake projects – MD
- ACCI calls for stronger Nigeria-India economic relations
- UNECA encourages Africa to invest on digital transformation
- Sanwo-Olu commiserates with New Telegraph over editor’s death
- EEDC warns against obstruction of power line, condoles with family of Nnewi electrocution victim
- France reports more than 28,500 coronavirus deaths