Gov. David Umahi of Ebonyi has tested positive to the ravaging coronavirus disease.
Confirming the development to the News Agency of Nigeria on Saturday in Abakaiki, Umahi’s Special Assistant on Media, Mr Francis Nwaze, confirmed that some close aides of the governor also tested positive to the disease.
Nwaze confirmed that though the governor was not currently showing any symptom of the disease, he has isolated in line with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) protocols.
“The governor has directed his Deputy, Dr Kelechi , to coordinate the state’s fight against the disease and appealed to the citizens to take the NCDC protocols seriously.
“He will currently be working from ‘home’ and will be conducting all meetings virtually,” Nwaze confirmed.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that Umahi on July 2, announced that he was expecting his second COVID-19 test result on July 3 and will make it public.
Umahi while swearing-in newly appointed state Executive Council (EXCO) members among other appointees said that he had directed all those who worked in the state’s 2020 budget review team to immediately undergo COVID-19 test.
“We are finalising the state’s budget review as required by the World Bank and after such hard work, most us ‘broke down’ and are being treated of malaria.’’
He recalled that he had earlier tested negative to the virus from a test conducted after a hectic adaptation to the state’s newly introduced accounting system in March.
Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Obike Ukoh (NAN)
08033610358, [email protected]
Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO
Dr Laurence Grummer-Strawn, Head of the organisation’s Food and Nutrition Action in Health Systems unit, stated this on Tuesday, according to the United Nations.
In a report, the UN quoted Grummer-Strawn as making the statement at a news briefing on the 2020 World Breastfeeding Week where he appealed for greater support for the practice.
“WHO has been very clear in its recommendations to say absolute breastfeeding should continue.
He said that the advantages included the fact that breastmilk, including milk which is expressed, provides lifesaving antibodies that protect babies against many childhood illnesses.
“This is only one of the reasons why new mothers should initiate skin-to-skin contact and room-in with their babies quickly.
He explained that the conclusion followed the testing of the breastmilk of many mothers around the world in a variety of studies.
Grummer-Strawn said although a few samples had the virus followup tests showed that the virus was not viable and could not be infective.
Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)
Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9
The Zamfara Government has directed secondary schools in the state to reopen from August 9, to enable exiting students sit for Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE).
The State Commissioner of Education, Dr Ibrahim Abdullahi disclosed this while speaking to newsmen in Gusau on Tuesday.
Abdullahi said the state is complying with the Federal Government directives for the reopening of schools for the exit classes at Junior and Senior level.
“Based on this, Governor Bello Matawalle has directed the Ministry of Education to immediately commence the process of reopening schools for exit classes as directed by the federal government.
“As you can see, we have just conclude deliberation at management level, we have taken all issues under consideration, we have analysed all the problems and opportunities, we have resolved that.
“All the boarding schools will be reopened on the 9th of August, while the day schools will be reopened on 10th of August.
“The decision is to allow both public and private schools to make proper arrangements and prepare for the examinations in line with the COVID-19 protocols”, the commissioner said.
Abdullahi said that the state government would fumigate all its 193 schools and examination centers across the state.
“We enjoin parents and guardians to ensure prompt resumption of their wards to school and also take certain responsibilities of equipping their children with certain palliative as well as adhere to COVID-19 protocols.
“The state would provide hand sanitizers, washing detergents and thermometers among others at the examinations centers and schools.
“We are going to deploy health workers to all schools and examinations centers.”
The commissioner further said that the state government was also making plans to reopen schools for other clases very soon.
He said that the government was considering Aug. 24, for the resumption of JSS students, as well as SS 1 and SS 2, and primary schools.
Abdullahi directed all public and private schools to ensure adherence to COVID-19 protocols, and appealed to all stakeholders to join hands with government for the successful conduct of the examinations.
Edited By: Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)
30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM
Thirty Nigerians, who were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon have been rescued, and are among a total of 150 victims awaiting evacuation to Nigeria.
The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) made this known in a statement by Gabriel Odu of its Media, Public Relations and Protocol Unit on
The commission said the rescue came after a video footage of the stranded Nigerians making an appeal to the Federal Government and well-meaning Nigerians to come to their aid viral on the Internet.
According to it, the appeal for help by the stranded Nigerians led to their rescue by officials of the country’s mission in Lebanon.
The stranded Nigerians have already been relocated to a more conducive apartment.
“They will be part of 150 others to be evacuated to Nigeria after they were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon.
“The Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Houssam Diab disclosed the evacuation plans when the Management of NIDCOM, led by the Secretary, Dr Sule Bassi, visited that country’s mission in Abuja,” Odu said in the statement.
He quoted Diab as saying that the 150 girls would be returned home in batches with the first group of 110 people leaving Beirut for Lagos on Aug. 12.
The second batch sws expected to arrive Abuja on Aug. 16.
“The diplomat commended efforts of the Lebanese Community and the Oyo State Government who is sponsoring the return of 55 of the girls,” he said.
Responding on behalf of the NIDCOM Chairman/CEO, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Secretary of the commission, who acknowledged the excellent ties between Nigeria and Lebanon, urged both countries to sustain the cordial relationship.
Bassi also lauded the Nigerian Ambassador to Lebanon, Amb. Goni Madu Zanna Bura for his dedication and commitment.
He also commended the staff of the Nigerian mission, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Oyo and Ogun state governments and other strategic partners for their efforts.
“As part of the Nigerian Embassy’s Consular responsibility, the ladies in the said video that went viral and many other distressed Nigerian domestic workers were located and relocated to a safer place.
“Suffice it to say that 150 of these stranded victims are expected to be evacuated next week and handed over to NAPTIP, the agency responsible for (dealing with human) trafficking.
“A break down of the evacuees shows that Oyo State had 41, Ogun 21, Lagos 12, Ondo 18, Osun 26, and Imo 3.
Others are Kwara– 9, Enugu — 1, Ekiti — 6, Kogi — 1, Edo — 1, Delta — 3, Ebonyi — 1, Benue — 1, Abia — 1, Akwa Ibom — 1, and Anambra — 1,” he said.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)
ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention
Mr Guy Ryder, the ILO Director-General said this in a statement made available on Tuesday in Abuja.
Ryder noted that this was the first time in the ILO’s history, an International Labour Convention has been ratified by all member States.
He said that the universal ratification of the Convention No. 182 on the Worst Forms of Child Labour was achieved following ratification by the Kingdom of Tonga.
According to Ryder, the Convention is the most rapidly ratified Convention in the history of the organisation, since its adoption 21 years ago by the International Labour Conference.
“Universal ratification of Convention 182 is an historic first that means that all children now have legal protection against the worst forms of child labour.
“It reflects a global commitment that the worst forms of child labour, such as slavery, sexual exploitation, the use of children in armed conflict or other illicit or hazardous work that compromises children’s health, morals or psychological wellbeing, have no place in our society,” he said.
Mrs Sharan Burrow, Secretary General, International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC), also welcomed the universal ratification.
According to Burrow, the universal ratification of Convention 182 is a potent and timely reminder of the importance of ILO standards and the need for multilateral solutions to global problems.
“Child labour is a grievous violation of fundamental rights, and it is incumbent on the ILO’s constituents and the international community to ensure that this Convention is fully implemented, including through due diligence in global supply chains,” she said.
Mr Roberto Santos, Secretary General of the International Organisation of Employers (IOE) described the universal ratification of the Convention as a historic moment.
“Throughout the years, the IOE and its member organisations have supported the implementation of this Convention. Today, the business community is both aware of and acting on the need to do business with respect for children’s rights.
“This is even more urgent in the times of the COVID-19 pandemic. We cannot allow the fight against the worst form of child labour to backslide. Together we can work towards the end of child labour in all its forms,” he said.
It would be recalled that the ILO have estimated that there are 152 million children in child labour , 73 million of whom are in hazardous work.
The Convention calls for the prohibition and elimination of the worst forms of child labour, including slavery, forced labour and trafficking.
It prohibits the use of children in armed conflict, prostitution, pornography and illicit activities such as drug trafficking, and in hazardous work.
It is one of the ILO’s eight Fundamental Conventions.
These cover the abolition of child labour, the elimination of forced labour, the abolition of work-related discrimination and the rights to freedom of association and collective bargaining.
These principles are also covered by the ILO Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work (1998).
Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)