Pinnacle Communications, a licensed digital switch-over operator in Nigeria has urged the Attorney-General of the Federation, Mr Abubakar Malami, SAN, to swiftly investigative operatives of ICPC who recently made unlawful attempt to break into its office in Asokoro area of FCT without any court warrant.
Mr Abayomi Oyelola, Counsel for the company made the plea at a news conference on Tuesday in Abuja.
Oyelola said the intervention of the Minister of Justice was immediately required to compel the anti-corruption body to observe the rule of law.
“This will help to deflate the obvious display of prejudice in the agency’s dealings with Pinnacle.
“The Management of Pinnacle Communications is compelled to address you, the members of the exalted fourth estate of the realm in view of January 15 distasteful invasion of its operational office by operatives of the ICPC.
“By way of introduction, pinnacle communications is a licensed digital switch-over operator in Nigeria that has so far been conducting its businesses in line with the laws of the land.
“The import of this is to draw the attention of the appropriate authorities and the general public to the despicable, unwarranted, and illegal invasion of the company’s office located on Charles DeGualle Street, Asokoro, Abuja by operatives of the ICPC.
“The action was no doubt, a dastardly and gangster-like manner with an acclaimed “order from above’’ to arrest the company’s Chairman and Managing Director as well as seal the Pinnacle Operational office.
“The operatives and policemen came fully armed in four vehicles, 3 hilux vans and a car, garbed in ICPC jackets that authenticated their identities. The company’s security cameras had captured the incidence with available footage as evidence.
“During the encounter, Pinnacle communications officials demand the warrant of arrest and order of court that legally gave them the impetus.
“The operatives failed to produce any document. Rather they claimed that they were working with geographical coordinate. Whatever that means in anti-corruption parlance’’, Oyelola said.
Oyelola further said: “after Pinnacle officials made some calls to report the brazen and unpleasant incident in the presence of the invaders, one of the ICPC operatives answered a call’’.
According to him, the ICPC official precedes to hand the phone to one of his colleagues that appeared to have led the operation.
He explained that Pinnacle officials could hear the conversation of the operative saying: “we are here already’’, “we have not entered’’, “they claim he is not around’’, “No pressmen, nobody’’.
“Afterwards, the operative on the telephone suddenly said to his colleagues “let’s go let’s go let’s go’’, and they left hurriedly in that botched operation’’.
The Pinnacle officials heard the operative lamenting on their way to their vehicles that they should have shot (gunshot) their way into the premises as soon as they arrived.
According to him, the invasion amounts to regulatory terrorism.
“ This illegal attempt to harass and intimidate the company and its officials further confirms that, ICPC has been on a witch-hunt mission from the beginning.
“Pinnacle as a law abiding entity expresses concern on this show of dastardly act undertaken by ICPC.
“ As law abiding citizens, we are urging the ICPC’s Chairman, Prof Bolaji Owasanoye, to respect the rule of law and call his men to order so as to forestall actions that could further tarnish the image of the commission’’, Oyelola said.
When contacted on the matter, Mrs Rasheedat Okoduwa, the Public Relations Officer of the ICPC, said the commission heard about the incident.
She said that she was not in the position to respond.
”It is only the Chairman that can react. He is out of town for an official trip and will not pick his calls”, she said.
Nigeria News Agency reports that ICPC had dragged Pinnacle to court regarding payment on Digital Switch Over operation.
Pinnacle communications gained prominence when in 2014, the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) which was elected to guide the country’s digitalisation process advertised the opening for a private signal distributor.
Following the advertisement, 16 companies bided and pinnacle communications, a fully indigenous company won.
The company thereafter paid the sum of 618 million mandatory license fees to the federal government.
When the license was eventually issued, the company discovered that some vital provisions in the initial license template had been removed from the final document issued after the stipulated fee had been paid.
The management approached the court for redress which stalled the process of the digital switch over until the present government came on board.
In 2016, the NBC, determined to return the country to the path of progress on the global initiative, invited Pinnacle communications for talks to end the debacle.
After series of meeting, agreement was reached between the company and the government.
The company also beat the three month deadline given to it to set up its operation in Abuja, in order to qualify for any payment.
NAN further recalls that the Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo had inaugurated the Abuja Digital Switch Over Station in 2016 which was followed by the Kaduna station commissioned by Kaduna State Governor.
After what appeared to be a satisfactory work, the sum of N2.5 billion was paid to the company after the Abuja station was successfully delivered.
The white paper which is the guiding document for the DSO gives the power of approval to the Minister of Information.
The company therefore expressed shock when the ICPC announced the trial of the D-G of NBC and two other principal staff of Pinnacle communications over same payment.
The trio were preferred a 12-count charge bordering on abuse of office, money laundering and misleading a public officer with the intent to defraud the federal government.
According to the anti-graft body, the alleged offences are in contravention of Section 19 of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000.
The Presidency had in 2016, released N10 billion to the Ministry of Information and Culture for the DSO programme and a White Paper was issued directing how the process should be executed.
Based on the guidelines provided by the White Paper, two companies were nominated to handle the process, one of which was ITS, an affiliate of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA).
To this end, the sum of N1.7 billion was released to it as seed grant for the commencement of the switch-over.
It was, however, alleged that Director General of the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC), Mr Modibbo Kawu fraudulently recommended Pinnacle Communications Limited, a private company, to the Minister of Information and Culture, for the release of N2.5 billion against the guidelines contained in the White Paper”.
However, findings have shown that while Pinnacles won the bid in 2014, Kawu came into office in 2016.
The ICPC claimed that the Minister of Information was misled in the transaction, the allegation is pending before the court..
The company said it had since joined in the action in response to the pleadings made in court by the commission, adding that the current threat was contemptuous.
Edited by: Sadiya Hamza
- Court: Ban on commercial assisted suicide in Germany unconstitutional
- Kwara Varsity to unbundle Mass Communication programme, says HOD
- Championship Poised for Frenetic Finish
- Tight security as Supreme Court hears APC’s motion to review judgment on Lyon
- Last Roll of the Dice for Mwamba, Oilers & Nakuru
- Reps promise to support FERMA on road repairs
- More Funding Needed to Combat Locust Swarms ‘Unprecedented in Modern Times’
- Sokoto govt. uses N400m to improve uptake of polio vaccines in 597 health facilities
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Staff Concludes Visit to the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Netflix launches Nigerian twitter account, Nigerians react
- A second COVID-19 case is confirmed in Africa
- Coronavirus: Africa records 2nd confirmed case – WHO
- Providing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support for Gambian Shipwreck Survivors
- Leading Libyan Bank Chooses Temenos to Accelerate Digital Transformation
- Griezmann goal earns FC Barcelona draw at spirited Napoli
- Kano Pillars team manager Baleria buried in Kano
- Bayern Munich whip Chelsea 3-0 for sweet revenge
- 88% of married women in Nigeria do not use contraceptives, says AHBN
- Groups worry over delay in implementation of E-WASH policy in Sokoto
- KASU to introduce new courses
- Stakeholders urge revival of dying leather industry
- Electricity consumers in Kaduna kick against proposed tariff hike
- Edo 2020: Tambuwal reiterates commitment to sports development
- GDP growth: LCCI wants govt to do more
- Emir of Katsina tasks Faith Based Organisations on peace building
- SGF urges Nigerians to uphold moral values to end terrorism
- Aruna, Edem qualify for finals of ITTF Africa Top 16 Cup
- KEDCO educates customers on new tariff in Dutse
- Immunisation: Gov. Buni lauds Dangote, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundations
- Gov. Ganduje orders arrest of street beggers in Kano
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) Rulers offer condolences on death of Hosni Mubarak
- FG plans sectoral guidelines for health sector
- AEDC to invest N31.3bn on enhanced electricity supply in FCT
- Hisbah arrests woman for polyandry in Kano
- SERAP faults bill seeking to give legislators immunity from prosecution
- Rivers Hoopers sign on American basketball player for BAL campaign
- Consider plights of electricity customers in tarrif review- FCCPC urges NERC
- UNICEF rating on Ondo, encouraging – Gov’s Wife
- Aji Festival: Reps member says culture key to promoting peace, unity
- Lassa Fever: How we’re eliminating rodents in shops — Lagos Market Leader
- China reaffirms commitment to protect Nigerian students, other foreign nationals
- Reps committed to agreements between oil coys, host communities
- Delta govt. approves furnishing of multi-billion naira secretariat complex, Asaba
- Bode George calls for unity to address nation’s challenges
- Expert proposes greenhouse farming to ensure food security
- VIO operations bill scales 2nd reading in C/River assembly
- Curriculum crisis impedes Nigerian education system – Counsellor
- SUBEB Projects : Nasarawa Assembly Committee warns contractors against shoddy job
- Enthusiast decries low patronage of Nigerian cultures
- The UN and the African Union welcome the holding of the 4th quadripartite summit with the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Republic of Uganda, the Republic of Rwanda, and the Republic of Angola
- Gov. Masari condemns Katsina killings as barbaric, animalistic
- UNILAG, BOI train lecturers on entreprenuership in disciplines
- KOBA 70th Anniversary: Gov. Sule, others to re-launch Yar’Adua e-library
- Foreign affairs, NIS meet on visa policy 2020
- NCS lauds EFCC’s efforts in preventing economic sabotage
- Expert urges effort to eliminate neglected tropical diseases
- I am not a wasteful governor – Oyetola
- UNHCR and International Labour Organisation (ILO) facilitate the integration of Malian refugees in Mauritania
- MSMEs clinics making big impact on Nigeria’s economy—Minister
- Ex-SGF Ahmed unveils book on public sector accounting, administration
- Former SGF Ahmed unveils book on public sector accounting, administration
- Delta Govt to partner with NIRSAL to create jobs – Okowa
- Jigawa to accelerate Gum Arabic, jatropha cultivation
- NAPTIP charges director, 2 others to court over alleged sexual exploitation of minor
- NIMASA unveils special mission vessels to fight piracy
- U.S. says Iran may have suppressed ‘vital details’ on coronavirus outbreak
- British exports to EU could fall 14% in no-deal scenario, says UN study
- Pompeo: Afghan reduction in violence successful ‘historic’ chance
- Buhari mourns former Egyptian leader, Hosni Mubarak
- We need 1,400mw to provide 24-hour power — BEDC
- Guatemala’s former attorney general granted political asylum in U.S.
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks suit on Mexican killed in cross-border event
- Electricity: GenCos fail to generate 3,060.5 megawatts due to gas shortage
- U.S. Airlines, Qatar Airways sign strategic partnership, codeshare deal
- United States and Kenya Partner on The Establishment of a National Public Health Institute
- Prosecution continues evidence in trial of Usman, Fani-Kayode, Danjuma
- Why schools must embrace Labster virtual laboratory — Guniness record holder
- Kwara Attorney General praises EFCC for fund recoveries
- Kwara Govt not imposing new tax on Commercial motorcyclists
- BMO lauds Nigeria’s GDP growth
- UNICEF enrolls 194, 883 out-of-school children in Adamawa
- Take your pride of place in tourism development, Minister charges NTDC
- Israel’s Netanyahu mourns death of ‘my personal friend’ Mubarak
- U.S. wants Afghan president to postpone planned inauguration
- NAF set to dislodge bandits in Niger -CAS
- Security Information: Security Chiefs call for Nigerians’ support
- Fraud: Ex-Kwara TV GM fails to proof innocence
- Italy probes exorbitant prices for coronavirus masks, sanitisers
- Mohamed Salah joins up with Vodafone and UNHCR as first Instant Network Schools Ambassador
- Nutrition is strategic for devt — Lagos Commissioner
- Gombe Assembly passes kidnapping, abduction prohibition bill
- Britain agrees negotiating mandate for Brexit trade talks
- SMW: Let’s grow creative industry for tourism — Stakeholders
- Don heads team on delisting of unqualified teachers in Kwara
- NERC orders metering of electricity consumers by April 30
- Indonesia’s low-lying capital flooded for second time
- Greeks try to block access to migrant camp building sites
- FG completes 18 internal roads within tertiary institutions-Official
- Saudi Arabia creates sports, tourism and investment ministries
- Junctions Improvement: LASG targets March deadline, says work to claim 2 gas stations in Maryland
- Trump in fresh battle with 2 liberal Supreme Court judges
- Scotland to approve free sanitary products for all women
- Poland to introduce annual bonus payment for pensioners
- Italy measures against coronavirus strong, mission to Iran stalled – WHO
- Sweden summons Chinese ambassador to demand release of Gui Minhai
- Russia’s military mourns as last Soviet marshal, Yazov, dies aged 95
- Edo Assembly passes bill to establish nursing school at IUTH
- Netanyahu announces plans for 3,500 settlement homes near Jerusalem
- How we caught our student accused of raping 2 in niqab – LASU
- Tesco completes China exit with $357 million stake sale
- EFCC, ABU sign MoU to run Anti-Corruption related courses
- NECO dismisses 19 staff over certificate forgery
- We must fix the Nigerian Police, restore citizens confidence – Gbajabiamila
- Shun ethnicity, religious bigotry, Sanwo-Olu tells Nigerians
- 3rd anniversary: Akeredolu distributes 5,000 free eye glasses in Ondo
- Iran urges citizens to stay at home as coronavirus spreads
- FG committed to Onitsha River Port take-off, says NIWA MD
- Ngige calls for framework to create mass employment in Africa
- Simbas 2020 training squad announced
- Police arrests 51 robbery, other suspects in Borno
- Funding, bane of Education sector- Perm. Sec
- NLNG supplied 275,000MT to Nigerian LPG market in 2019 – Official
- NSE All-Share Index sustains negative trend with 0.03%
- SMW 2020: FG should invest in education, health, export in preparedness for 2050 — panel
- UNFPA pledges support to west, central African govts. to achieve Demographic Dividend (DD)
- NAFDAC seals 2 warehouses in Kano over suspected recycling of expired drugs
- NAFDAC raises alarm over adulterated honey in Kano
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Appeals for USD 119.3 Million To Support Humanitarian and Development Responses in South Sudan
- Metuh’s conviction affirms Buhari’s anti-graft war – BMO
- CSO condemns protest against TETFUND boss
- Enugu Govt cautions traffic management agency against extortion of motorists
- Africa Prudential profit after tax drops to N1.68bn in 2019
- Traditional, digital media urged to collaborate for wider reach
- NDE disburses N3.3m to 330 women in Oyo State
- How police officer shot, killed Makoko resident, Witness tells court
- Reps to investigate NIDC, SMEDAN over non-remittance of audit accounts
- Tokyo Olympics: Sports Ministry signs agreement with firm to market Team Nigeria
- “Ignore online bullies,” Reality star, Khafi advises fans
- RIFAN begins sale of 35,000 bags of paddy rice to Processors in Taraba
- Russia rejects idea of truce with ‘terrorist’ rebels in Syria’s Idlib
- APPO seeks collaboration among African countries on oil, gas
- Call for proposals – Innovative Projects for Civil Society and Coalition of Actors (PISCCA) “Five Eleven, Coalition for Women” Second phase of selection- 2020
- Weight loss company accepts Eniola Badmus as experiment
- KEPA inspects medical waste evacuation in Kaduna hospitals
- Govt. assures Enugu athletes of 3-week camping, participation at 20th NSF
- Kebbi Govt. tasks communities on protection of public facilities
- ECOWAS calls for urgent proactive approach to Africa’s devt, peace, stability
- Niger govt. mulls reactivation of Baro-Minna rail line -SSG
- Union of agricultural employees urges Kwara govt. to pay members hazard allowance
- Ethiopia races against time to control locusts as the planting season starts
- Baptist Church lauds Gov. Sule’s leadership
- Banditry: Gov. Bello pledges continuous support to security agencies
- Osun Anti-kidnapping Bill: Stakeholders call for death penalty for kidnappers
- Onu, Diete-Spiff to partner on non combustible engine invention
- Enugu LG election: 296 candidates to vie for 17 chairmanship seats
- EU orders quarantine for staff who travelled to Northern Italy
- Plant Health: Quarantine service establishes clinics in geopolitical zones
- We’ll deliver on Ogbemudia Stadium Complex’s gymnasium by March 13, contractor says
- Three docked for allegedly stealing 4 mobile phones from LUTH doctors
- Anambra Assembly urges FRSC to checkmate reckless driving on highways
- His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed meets Algerian Army Chief of Staff at UMEX 2020
- Poor knowledge bane of effective eye care in Nigeria – Ophthalmologist
- Army presents cheques to families of fallen heroes
- Man docked for allegedly issuing N6.7 m dud cheque
- Trump says he has received no election ‘help’ from another country
- Trade negotiation office targets key service sectors for AfCFTA implementation
- Sports Commission chairman seeks Gombe House of Assembly’s support for financial autonomy
- Hot Weather: Sellers of sachet water make brisk business in Enugu
- 7 killed, 150 injured in riots in New Delhi
- Man docked for allegedly slapping policeman in Osun
- Bill to confer immunity on presiding officers passes 2nd reading
- Imposed tough visa rules: Experts task FG on improved homeland security
- Minister lauds forum over efforts to address substandard medicines
- Alleged N400m fraud: Court convicts Metu to 7 years imprisonment, orders N375m fine to FG
- 3 states willing to implement national livestock plan -Umahi
- Birds go missing in South Africa’s Million Dollar Pigeon Race
- Reps query NIMASA over claims on management accounts
- CORRECTION: African Union Executive Council endorses African Development Bank President Adesina for second term
- Kano State Govt plans integrated transportation system
- MACBAN suspends former Bauchi chief scribe
- Expert calls on state governments to increase commitment to eradicating hepatitis
- Boy,8, dies in well in Kano
- Minimum wage: Workers in Enugu pay ‘thank you visit’ to Gov. Ugwuanyi
- Kaduna Govt. develops social protection policy
- NPFL: Rangers optimistic of 3 points against Nasarawa United in Lafia
- UBEC partners UNICEF to train mobilisation staff, desk officers
- EFCC arraigns 3 men for defrauding employer of N85.5m
- Buhari lauds Akeredolu over industrial hub, N5bn Ore flyover
- Carpenter in court over alleged breach of trust, cheating
- Education, digital literacy panacea for hate speech- Stakeholders
- Education, digital literacy panacea for hate speech
- NAF destroys insurgents structures, logistics facilities in Borno
- Zamfara APC holds special prayer sessions
- World Bank spends more than $580m on ACE projects in West, Central Africa
- NSF: We’re 95 per cent ready, says Edo Govt
- Man, 35, docked over alleged unlawful dealing in 2.3kg of illicit drug
- Haulage: Senate investigates compliance to road safety laws
- Footballer’s killing: Police disband Zonal Intervention Squad in Ogun
- LG Elections: Police warn against violence in Enugu
- We are making huge stride against terrorists in NE –Buratai