A group under the aegis of Civil Society Scaling Up Nutrition in Nigeria (CS-SUNN) in Nasarawa State has called on the State Government to pay more attention towards tackling acute malnutrition in the state.
Mr Envoh Okolo, the Secretary of the group, made the appeal on Tuesday during an assessment visit on the Community Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) programme to the two benefitting Primary Health Centres (PHCs) in Lafia.
According to him, the CMAM programme has yielded tremendous results in saving the lives of malnourished children.
The group however noted that the government needed to do more in order to reduce number of severely malnourished children at the verge of death.
“This is a very laudable programme that required adequate budgetary provision from the government towards the procurement of the Ready to Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF), other consumables as well as incentives to the volunteers working on the programme.
“For instance, at the Primary Health Centre in Kwandere near Lafia, we observed lack of personnel and shortage of RUTF as the challenges facing the programme,” Okolo added.
Similarly, at the Primary Health Centre in Tudun-Kauri, Okolo said inadequate staff was also indentified as the major challenge.
“The success story of the programme at this facility is quite encouraging as over 300 clients were enrolled into the programme within the last three months with some coming from Makurdi in Benue State,” he said.
He explained that the CMAM programme is an eight weeks special diet (RUTF) and treatment course for acute malnourished children.
“I strongly advocate that government should take up this programme with all the seriousness it deserved.
“Let it be the priority for the government to sustain the programme and see that our children survive malnutrition and live healthy and productive lives,’’ the scribe said.
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections
- Commission issues Certificates of Return to 16 LG chairmen in Ekiti