Nicos Metaxas, a 35-year old captain of the Cypriot National Guard, pleaded guilty to a total of 12 of charge relating to the premeditated murder and abduction of the seven victims.
The victims came from Romania, Philippines, Nepal and were murdered between September 2016 and July 2018.
The case was the worst ever peace time atrocity in Cypriot living memory and caused abhorrence and horror to the islanders.
It led to the resignation of the justice minister and the chief of police after it was found out that some of the victims had been reported as missing persons and the police failed to effectively investigate their disappearance.
Metaxas was taken under heavy security on Monday to a courthouse in the capital Nicosia wearing a bullet-proof vest.
He broke down in tears as the chief investigator into the case read out the charge and detailed his murders before the three-member Assize Court, Cyprus’s highest criminal court.
He appeared without a lawyer and when he was asked by the court what he had to say before sentence was passed on him, he told the judges he repented for the killings and for the distress he caused to the families of the victims.
“I have committed abhorrent crimes…I ask for forgiveness from the Cypriot society who are wandering why I have reach this point…I myself don’t know the answer,” Metaxas, a divorced man, said.
Edited by Halima Sheji
- NIS inaugurates e-registration of foreign nationals in Sokoto
- Nasarawa Speaker hails Gov Sule’s victory at Appeal Court
- Stakeholders to converge on Abuja for UHC Nov. 13 – Sen Oloriegbe
- Minister says sanitation crisis if allowed may undermine SDG 2030
- Former U.S. president Jimmy Carter recovering after surgery
- Unity Colleges: Federal Ministry of Education calls on principals to step up leadership roles
- FCT board to begin 10 days measles, Meningitis `A’ vaccination on Nov. 16
- Macron right on EU membership rules, says North Macedonian president
- S. Africa ready for e-visa system to attract more tourists
- Uganda’s Magala talks tough as Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship gets underway in Abuja
- Lagos Government pledges patronage of local boat manufacturers
- Minister harps on evolving science, technologies to improve innovations
- Police task hoteliers on security measures during Yuletide
- I will recover Bayelsa’s looted funds if voted –DPC governorship candidate
- Borno bans illegal motor parks to curb crimes
- Hundreds of traders protest demolition of Ikosi/Isheri market in Lagos
- INEC ready for Kogi,Bayelsa poll says Chairman
- Progressive governance involves provision of education, jobs, healthcare – Osinbajo
- Minimum wage: Labour tasks legislature on implementation in Kwara
- Ondo State Govt. to partner with NGOs on sports development