Connect with us

General news

Dayak Open: Vejnovic of Sweden defeats Lock of Zimbabwe 7-6 (9), 6-3

Published

on

Dayak Open: Vejnovic of Sweden defeats Lock of Zimbabwe 7-6 (9), 6-3

Tennis

Abuja, April 15, 2019 Marko Vejnovic of Sweden on Monday, defeated Zimbabwe’s , Courtney John Lock, seeded eight in the tournament in two straight sets of  7-6 (9), 6-3 to advance to the next round in Dayak Tennis Championship which opened in Abuja on Monday.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the tournament which is in its qualifiers stage, is under the supervision of International Tennis Federation (ITF) Men’s pro-circuit series.

Vejnovic who displayed some brilliance and precision in his smashes, outclassed his Zimbabwean opponent in the two straight sets.

In the second match, Joseph Ubon of Nigeria outclassed Emmanuel Idoko, also a Nigerian in two straight sets of 6-3, 6-1 to advance to the next round.

In Court number three, America’s William Bushamuka, defeated Alexey Dubinin of Russia also in two straight sets of 6-0, 6-2.

Earlier in the centre court, Luke Gamble of America beat Tochukwu Eze of Nigeria 6-3, 6-1, while Abdoulaziz Bationo of Cote d’Ivoire outclassed Arthur Bernabe of France 2-6, 7-6 (4) (10-3) to advance.

News Agency of Nigeria reports that Men’s pro-circuit professional tennis tournaments held around the world are organised by the International Tennis Federation (ITF).

Dayak which is an annual tennis championship in Nigeria, is under the ITF Men’s Circuit, which  represents the lowest rung of the men’s professional tennis ladder.

Also, the ITF tournaments are incorporated into the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) rankings, enabling young professionals to progress to the ATP challenger Tour and ultimately the full ATP World Tour.

NNN also reports that over 30 tennis professionals from 20 nationalities are presently competing in the week long championship.

General news

Jomby beats Kalenichenko to win Dayak tennis championship

Published

on

Jomby beats Kalenichenko to win Dayak tennis championship

Championship

Abuja, April 22, 2019 Tom Jomby from France on Sunday in Abuja beat his counterpart Danylo Kalenichenko from Ukraine in two straight sets to win the Dayak championship.

The News Agency of Nigeria  reports that the tournament was organised by the Nigeria Tennis Federation in collaboratio  with International Tennis Federation (ITF).

NNN reports that Kalenichenko’s current ranking is 596 while Jomby is 400.

The winner, Jomby said he was happy to win the championship, clinching 6-1 in the first set and with agility and experience, stopped Kalenichenko at 7-6 in the second set.

He said the victory would boost his quest at the Association Tennis Professional (ATP) even as he was hopeful of wining  the GSL International Open next week.

“After these three tournaments in Nigeria, I must have improved on my ATP ranking, and I will thereafter take my leave of the ITF Features to focus on ATP tournaments.

“I’m happy that I won the Dayak Championship. I was sick last week, I could not give my best in the tournament but I’m happy for the win.

“I will work more to win GSL the tournament next week,” he said. 

Kalenichenko, on his part said he was not satisfied with his performance in the final match. 

“I congratulate my opponent for his victory, I’m not satisfied with my performance today. I fought well, it was a good game and a good tournament.

“I’m happy that I played the final match even though I lost my game. This is my second time in Nigeria, I was here last year for the tournament,” he said.

NNN reports that the tournament is organised annually by Tombin Sports Foundation, Days Nigeria Limited and Gladiator System Limited (GSL).

A total of 28 countries is participating in the tournament.

The three-week competition which is expected to end on April 28, is holding at the Tennis Complex of the National Stadium in Abuja. 

Continue Reading

General news

Dayak Open: Jomby to face Kalenchenko in finals

Published

on

Dayak Open: Jomby to face Kalenchenko in finals

Finals

Abuja, April 20, 2019 France’s Tom Jomby, the number four seeded player on Saturday qualified for the finals in the ongoing Dayak Open International Tennis Federation (ITF) tournament holding in Abuja.

Jomby who would face Danylo Kalenchenko of Ukraine in the finals defeated his French compatriot, Dan Added 6-2, 7-5 to scale through to the finals.

Similarly, Danylo Kalenchenko also outclassed Peter Kobelt of the United States to secure a ticket for the finals.

The Ukrainian beat Kobelt 7-6(9), 6-2 after a tough match against the American.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the finals would be decided on April 21, at the national stadium, Abuja.

It would be recalled that Tom Jomby beat Jorge Sorgi of Brazil 6-4, 6-4 in the quarter finals to qualify for the semifinals while Kalenchenko defeated Maximilian Neuchrist 6(4)-7(7), 7(7)-6(1), 6-4 to advance to the semifinals.

Continue Reading

General news

Dayak Tennis Open: Kobelt beats Zimbabwe’s Lock to qualify for semi-finals

Published

on

Qualification

Abuja, April 18, 2019 Peter Kobelt of the U.S. on Thursday in Abuja advanced to the semi-finals of the 2019 Dayak Tennis Open with a 7-6 (1) 6-3 win over Zimbabwe’s Benjamin Lock.

Kobelt smashed well all through the match which lasted 104 minutes to win in two straight sets.

Similarly, number four seed Tom Jomby of France outclassed Kunal Anand of the Netherlands 6-3 6-4 to secure a place for himself in the semi-finals.

Jomby beat his Dutch opponent in two sets in one hour 20 minutes, and will now take on Kobelt on Friday in the men’s singles semi-finals.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Dan Added of France also qualified for the semi-finals with a 6-4 7-1 win over Niels Lootsma of the Netherlands.

Added got his semi-finals ticket after a one-hour game of smart accurate shots on court 5 of the National Tennis Centre at the National Stadium.

Continue Reading

General news

Dayak Tennis Open: Draper, Floyd win to advance to next levels

Published

on

By

Win

Abuja, April 17, 2019 Jack Draper of Germany on Wednesday outclassed Simon Yibarak of Sweden 6-3, 6-4 to advance to quarter finals of the ongoing International Tennis Federation (ITF) sponsored championship, tagged Dayak Open.

Similarly, France’s Angele Floyed floored his opponent, Nigerian-born Musa Mohammed 6-1, 6-2 to advance to next stage.

Also in the centre court, in a match that could be called a “Nigerian affairs game” saw Joseph Uboh decimate his Nigerian compatriot, Emmanuel Audu 6-2, 6-2 to make his himself very relevant in the championship.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that International Tennis Federation (ITF) tournaments are incorporated into the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) rankings, enabling young professionals to progress to the ATP challenger Tour and ultimately the full ATP World Tour.

Continue Reading

General news

Dayak Open: Kalenichenko, Added record wins in first round

Published

on

By

Win

Abuja, April 16, 2019 Ukrainian Kalenichenko Danylo did just enough to see off Indian Suraj Prabodh 6-4, 7-5 in the first round of the men’s single of the Dayak Abuja Open in Abuja on Tuesday.

The 25-year-old Kalenichenko took the first set 6-4 with four aces and a total of 36 points against Prabodh’s 32 points without an ace at the Centre Court of the Abuja National Stadium.

The second set was, however, more competitive as Prabodh put up a fight against Kalenichenko, who is ranked 595 in the ATP Rankings.

While the 24-year-old Prabodh won seven maximum points in a row, as against Kalenichenko’s five but the Ukrainian managed to gather more total points (45) than his Indian opponent who had 38.

He thus held on to take the set 7-5 to end the tie 6-4, 7-5 in 1h: 50min and advanced to the next round.

It was a more straightforward battle in another game also decided on the Centre Court, as Frenchman Added Dan outclassed Prashanth Vijay of India 6-3, 6-1 in their Round of 32 clash.

30-year-old Added’s dominance was evident throughout the game, winning 61 points against 30-year-old Prashanth’s 36.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Dayak Abuja Open is the second leg of the 2019 ITF Pro-Circuit M25+H World Tennis Tour and has a $25,000 prize money.

The tournament, which started on Monday, will end on April 21.

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Tribunal upholds election of Gov. Bello of Niger state

Published

on

The Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Minna on Wednesday upheld the election of Gov. Abubakar Bello of Niger state.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Mohammed Umar Nasko, the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) candidate in the March 9, Governorship Election and his party had dragged Bello who is the All Progressives Congress(APC) candidate), Bello and his deputy before the tribunal.
The petitioners alleged that the duo presented forged academic and declaration of age certificates to INEC, which was the crux of their case.
The chairman of the tribunal, Justice John Igboji, while delivering judgment, held that the petitioners merely pleaded facts without substantiating them with evidence.
Igboji also said that the tribunal cannot sit as an appellate court on an issue already decided by the Federal High Court.
“We have come to the inevitable conclusion that the petitioners have failed to establish their case as there is no shred of cogent evidence in proof of the allegation as required by relevant laws.
“In the circumstance we accordingly hold that the petitioners are not entitled to any relief sought, their petition being bereft of any merit and the petition is hereby dismissed for lack of merit.
“We, therefore, affirm and uphold the election of the first respondent, Alhaji Abubakar Bello as the duly elected governor of Niger state,” he said.
The tribunal also awarded N50, 000 cost each against the petitioners.
Reacting to the judgment, the Counsel to the petitioner, Mr Mohammed Ndayako, said the case was knocked out on technical grounds.
Ndayako noted that the petitioners would carefully study the judgment before deciding on the next line of action.
The Counsel to Bello, Jibrin Okutepa (SAN) described the judgment as “sound one”, saying it was a “great jurisprudential exposition”.
Also, Chief of Staff to the governor, Mr Ibrahim Balarabe said the judgment is a victory for democracy and the people of the state.
Balarabe called on the petitioners to join hands with the governor to move the state forward.
AMEN/OSA/ABI

Edited by Shittu Obassa/Ali Baba-Inuwa

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Niger: Tribunal reserves judgment in suit challenging Gov. Abubakar Bello’s election

Published

on

NAN reports that Nasko, the PDP candidate in the March governorship election in the state, had dragged the APC candidate, Bello and his deputy Ahmed Ketso, before the tribunal.

Nasko alleged that Bello and Ketso presented forged academic and birth certificates to INEC.

The tribunal adjourned after all parties adopted their final written addresses.

The Chairman of the tribunal, Justice John Igboji, said that a date for judgment in the matter would be communicated by the secretariat to all parties in the matter.

Counsel to Bello, Mr Ojonimi Apeh, prayed the tribunal to dismiss the petition based on the evidence before it.

“Exhibits D1 and D2 has laid to rest the question of whether or not the respondents submitted forged documents.

“By the totality of the evidence in this case, we urge the tribunal to dismiss this petition,” he added.

On his part, counsel to the APC, J.J Usman prayed the court to discountenance the petitioner’s final address on grounds that it exceeded 40 pages in violation of the 2011 court practice direction.

Usman accused the petitioners of trying to reopen a case they lost at the Federal High Court and Court of Appeal.

“The tribunal and the Federal High Court have concurrent jurisdiction.

“The tribunal therefore cannot sit as appellate court on decision of the Federal High Court and Court Appeal,” he added.

In his own submission, counsel to INEC, Wole Akinjide, SAN, said case of forgery cannot be resolved without evidence from the institution whose certificate was allegedly forged.

Akinjide cited authorities to back his argument saying the fact that Bello’s certificate was carrying 1993 while he graduated in 1991 did not mean he forged it.

He further explained that certificates could be issued years after one had graduated.

In his response, counsel to the petitioners, Mohammed Ndayako, asked the tribunal to grant their prayers as the documents before it spoke for themselves. 

Continue Reading

Judiciary

2 senior counsel in heated argument over calling witness in Niger election tribunal

Published

on

Two senior counsel appearing in the Niger Governorship Election Tribunal on Friday engaged in a heated argument over calling a witness, as Gov. Abubakar Bello, closed his case.

At the resumed hearing, counsel to Gov. Bello (the first respondent), Jibrin Okutepa, SAN, who had hinted at the last sitting on Thursday that he would be bringing his client to testify before the tribunal, said he was no longer calling any witness.

Okutepa noted that having thoroughly reviewed evidence presented by the petitioners and exhibits he tendered through PW1 during cross-examination there was no need for him to call any witness.

“The first respondent has waived the right to call our witness because there is nothing to call witness for and so we close our case,” he said

No sooner had he said that, that counsel to the petitioners, Mohammed Ndayako, rose to his feet and joked that the first respondent counsel was afraid of calling his witness.

However, the joke did not go down well with Okutepa who demanded an apology from Ndayako although he refused, insisting he was only joking like the two of them always do.

Ndayako said he attended law school in 1990 when the SAN was still in university and could not have meant what he said, to which the SAN replied, “this is another insult on me my lords and I won’t take it.’’

A visibly angry Okutepa then ordered Ndayako and other counsels sitting in the front row where he was seated to vacate their seats and go back.

“It would have been a different thing if he said my client was afraid to come but to say that I am afraid to call my witness is something I won’t take.

“I take strong exception to that and since he does not want to apologise, my lords I am left with no option but to ask him to leave here before I can continue,” he stressed.

Ndayako quickly went to sit behind when J.N Kalamu, one of the elderly counsels on his team and J.J Usman, counsel to APC (second respondent) intervened and apologised to the SAN on his behalf.

The quick intervention of the two counsels seemed to have calmed frayed nerves as Okutepa then got up and also apologised to the tribunal for the ugly incident after which he asked Ndayako to return to his seat.

At this point, Ndayako returned to his seat and apologised to Okutepa, saying he never intended the joke the way his senior colleague took it.

The chairman of the tribunal, John Igboji, thereafter told counsels that jokes were no longer allowed and they should strictly stick to their business in court.

The court session soon continued as the counsel to the APC, J.J Usman sought to tender some documents in evidence which was objected to by the petitioners’ counsel.

The matter was adjourned until June 29 for ruling on the admissibility of the documents.

NAN reports that Umar Nasko, the PDP candidate in the March governorship election in the state had dragged the APC candidate, Abubakar Bello and his deputy, Ahmed Ketso, before the tribunal for allegedly presenting forged academic and birth certificates to INEC.

 

Continue Reading

Judiciary

PDP closes case at Niger election tribunal

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Thursday closed its case at the governorship election petition tribunal sitting in Minna, Niger State.

At the resumed hearing on Thursday, counsel to PDP Mohammed Ndayako, presented Tanko Beji as his only witness.

Ndayako adopted his four witness statements on oath and asked the tribunal to use them as evidence in the petition.

He also tendered some documents which the witness mentioned in his statement on oath, after which he notified the court that his client was closing its case.

Counsel to the 1st respondent Jibrin Okutepa (SAN) said he would bring his client, Gov. Abubakar Bello, on Friday, to open their defence.

The chairman of the tribunal, Justice John Igboji, adjourned the matter until June 28, for the respondents to open their defence.

NAN reports that Umar Nasko, the PDP candidate in the March governorship election in the state, had dragged the APC candidate, Bello and his deputy Ahmed Ketso, before the tribunal.

Nasko alleged that the duo presented forged academic and birth certificates to INEC.

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also