Dr Gbemisola Boyede, Consultant Paediatrician and Founder of Ask The Paediatricians,
an NGO, says delay in diagnosis and treatment of pneumonia can lead to death of a child.
Boyede disclosed this in an interview with Nigeria News Agency in Abuja in commemoration of the World
Pneumonia Day, annually celebrated on Nov. 12 to champion the fight against pneumonia and educate the public
on preventive measures and appropriate treatment for the disease.
According to her, pneumonia is a general term for infections of the lungs, with symptoms such as high fever associated
with chills, cough, very fast and noisy breathing.
Others include vomiting, chest pain, abdominal pain, which often happen because a child is coughing and working hard
Weakness, loss of appetite and bluish or gray colour lips are other symptoms of the disease.
The consultant explained that pneumonia is one of the killer diseases of children under the age of five years,
especially in low and middle income countries.
“This is often due to late presentation at the hospital for treatment to enable a doctor to examine the child to confirm the diagnosis of pneumonia.
“Delay in diagnosis and treatment is responsible for the high number of deaths from pneumonia, especially in children under five years.
“There is no reason for any child to die of pneumonia. There are well-known preventive strategies,” she said.
The paediatrician, therefore, advised parents to ensure they engaged in exclusive breastfeeding in the first six months
of a child’s life to protect the baby from respiratory infections, including pneumonia.
Boyede also advised that vaccines, well ventilated rooms, avoidance of air pollution, adequate nourishing meals were necessary to prevent pneumonia.
Edited by Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan