Democrats in the U.S. House Judiciary Committee are expected to announce articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump on Tuesday, a lawmaker told multiple U.S. media outlets.
Elliot Engel, the House Foreign Affairs Chairman, told reporters that the articles of impeachment were likely be unveiled at a news conference on Tuesday morning.
It is unclear how many articles will be introduced and on what charges the articles will be based.
Democrats say that Trump withheld military aid to Ukraine as part of a pressure campaign to get Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate Trump’s domestic political rival Joe Biden and conspiracy theories related to the 2016 presidential election.
According to the Democrats, Trump abused power and committed bribery, accusations which Trump denies.
Once the Democrats’ articles of impeachment are formally introduced, they are likely to go through changes before leaving the House Judiciary Committee and are put up for a general vote.
If the Democrat-controlled House votes in favour of the impeachment articles, then the process moves to the Republican-controlled Senate, where Trump’s supporters have promised to defend the president.
On Monday Democrats held a public hearing summing up their case against the president.
House Judiciary Committee staff lawyers for majority Democrats laid out evidence for impeachment over Trump’s dealings with Ukraine earlier this year, while a committee lawyer for minority Republicans rebutted the claims in sometimes heated exchanges.
We are here today because Donald J Trump, the 45th president of the United States, abused the power of his office, the American presidency, for his political and personal benefit,” Daniel Goldman, a lawyer for Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, said in his opening statement.
Democrats say a back-and-forth during a July 25 call between Trump and Zelensky showed a “quid pro quo” that put Trump’s own personal political interests over U.S. national security.
Trump has vehemently denied any wrongdoing, and on Monday he tweeted about the hearing, citing a comment from Zelensky that Trump did nothing wrong.
If the Radical Left Democrats were sane, which they are not, it would be case over!” he tweeted.
Republicans on the committee said that the evidence presented since the inquiry was announced in September, based on a whistleblower’s report, was thin and the process used by the Democrats unfair.
But the Democrats’ lawyer for the Judiciary Committee told lawmakers that the evidence against Trump was “overwhelming” and revealed a “brazen” scheme.
Barry Berke said that impeaching him was an urgent matter because he could potentially repeat the behaviour.
This is a big deal. President Trump did what a president of our nation is not allowed to do,” Berke said.
In addition to Goldman and Berke the committee heard testimony from Stephen Castor, a lawyer for Republicans on both committees.
He said that the process was “not warranted” based on the evidence and that a “compelling argument” to take a decision “out of the hands of the voters” was lacking.
The full House could vote on articles of impeachment as early as Friday.
The inquiry’s leaders have not yet named the specific impeachable offences they may vote on.
Once articles of impeachment are passed – as expected in the Democrats-dominated House – the articles would then move to the Republican-controlled Senate, where Democrats appear unlikely to rally enough Republicans to vote to remove Trump from office.
Democrats in the House appear undeterred by that reality.
Democrats have said that the matter is too important, citing it as an example of what the framers of the U.S. Constitution intended to stop when they gave Congress the ability to remove a president through impeachment.
Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler said in his opening statement that Trump “put himself before country” as monarchs of the past had done.
Nadler was forced to pound his gavel several times and warn Republican members not to interrupt as they bickered over procedural matters.
He also was forced to order a number of roll call votes to satisfy Republican demands, even once over a question of whether the committee should take a break.
Republicans complained bitterly about the timing of the impeachment process just a year before the next presidential election and said that the evidence didn’t show that impeachable offences had been committed.
Representative Douglas Collins complained that the Democrats had put the House in danger by abusing its power, saying that the hearings had been “all military,” and adding, “It’s a show”.
Edited by: Emmanuel Yashim
- Safety professional urges more safety consciousness among Nigerians
- Restore LG elected representatives in Oyo, FG orders Makinde
- Supreme Court judgement: Plateau Speaker urges Gov. Lalong to extend hand of fellowship to opponent
- Amaechi inspects Lagos-Ibadan rail project
- El-Rufai console families of girls killed in Zangon Kataf attack
- Saraki reaffirms commitment to using local content in Lagos-Ibadan rail construction
- UBEC decries poor execution of primary school projects in Benue
- ACF tasks military to protect commutters along Damaturu-Maiduguri highway
- Minister solicits Spanish Govt’s support for victims of humanitarian crisis, trafficking.
- Guards brigade begins 2020 Sports Week activities
- Lalong’s Supreme Court victory affirmation of will of the people – Plateau information commissioner
- China to donate food items to IDPs
- Banditry: Police nab 2 alleged informants in Niger
- Group urges dissolution of Katsina State PDP leadership, forensic audit
- Gov. Bello congratulates Ganduje, Lanlong on S/Court victories
- VIDEO: Kerosene tanker explodes at LASU Gate in Lagos
- NUJ congratulates Gov. Mohammed over Supreme Court ruling
- Lagos-Ibadan rail: Amaechi invites NPA, CCECC, others over slow construction
- BMO lauds Supreme Court over judgments
- BBNaija Pepper Dem housemate, Gedoni appointed Special Assistant to Cross River governor
- Supreme Court Judgement: Lalong celebrates victory, prays for peace,stability in Plateau
- NACA trains 122 HIV vulnerable persons to reduce new infections
- University don advises Northern governors to develop regional agricultural policy
- Malabu oil deal: FG files fresh charges against Adoke, Shell, others
- Nigeria’s Border Closure: Buhari meets Ghanaian President, Akufo-Addo in London, offers more information
- Supreme Court affirms Lalong, Mohammed’s victory
- Appeal Court complex in Delta for inauguration Feb. 3 — Okowa
- Supreme Court victory excites Lalong, Mohammed
- Rome airport institutes checks for coronavirus out of China
- Kosovo, Serbia agree to resume flights after two-decade gap
- Buhari congratulates APC, Ganduje, Lalong over Supreme Court verdicts
- UK PM Johnson defeated on Brexit legislation for first time since election
- 17 die in lone accident in Katsina – Police
- Ex-international advises administrators on sports development
- UK-Africa Summit: NIPC unveils Nigeria investment guide
- My endorsement of Obaseki personal – PDP BOT member
- DPR investigates Lagos pipeline explosion
- FG pledges partnership with D-8 to improve healthcare in Nigeria
- Arteta, Lampard evasive on transfers ahead of Arsenal-Chelsea derby
- Supreme Court Verdict: Bauchi calm, devoid of anticipated celebrations
- Son of Burkina Faso gold mine owner kidnapped in 2018 freed
- Ministry partners organisations to equip 500, 000 youths on digital skills
- NSCDC arrests 4 alleged notorious kidnappers in Adamawa
- INEC deploys non-sensitive materials to LGAs for Imo rerun, supplementary elections
- Man sentenced to prison in Germany for Sri Lankan minister’s murder
- Perm-Sec wants community health officers trained on skilled delivery services
- Alleged Pension fraud: We didn’t conduct in-depth probe into Maina’s case, EFCC witness admits
- Trump rejects impeachment charges as an affront to U.S. Constitution
- Shanties: FCT development control threatens to revoke undeveloped plots
- Man, 27, faces jail sentence for videotaping traffic warden on duty
- NIDCOM, FRSC to work closely to ease driving license processing for Diasporas
- D’Tigers to start 2021 Afrobasket qualification race November
- Imo: Uzodinma decries PDP’s nationwide protest as APC supporters occupy Owerri
- NANS in solidarity with “Amotekun initiative”
- Supreme Court dismisses Useni’s suit against election of Gov. Lalong
- Buhari meets UK PM, seeks extradition of fugitives to answer corruption charges
- Minister urges coordinated efforts to address challenges in power sector
- Nasarawa Education Stakeholders suggest review of Senior Secondary Schools curriculum
- Breaking News: Bala Mohammed
- NSE market indices open week with 0.31% growth
- Jailbreak: 26 prisoners escape in Brazil
- More than 40 IDPs expected to participate in Edo Cricket League
- Britain’s Prince Harry meets African leaders in London
- Supreme Court affirms victory of Sen. Bala Muhammed as duly elected governor of Bauchi
- Rerun Election: C’River CP warns against thuggery, violence
- Police apprehend suspected robbery gang in Delta
- Disputes: Gov. Oyetola appoints rent tribunals chairmen, members
- Timi Dakolo clocks 39
- EU to refocus `Operation Sophia` to include land, air surveillance
- Union Bank raises N20bn through Commercial Paper
- Police recover 31 assorted weapons from 60 suspects
- UAE’s ADNOC, Italy’s Eni to collaborate on carbon capture technology
- NYSC medical team treats 500 rural dwellers in Nasarawa State
- Virus spreads to more Chinese cities, President Xi says containment is priority
- APC chieftain urges Sanwo-Olu to appoint seasoned sports administrators
- PDP National Chairman leads protest on Supreme Court judgment on Imo governorship election
- Nyako urges northerners to be determine to develop agric
- Ogun govt to key into revolving drug fund to reduce prices
- Fidelity Bank Promo: 2 customers become millionaires in Lagos
- UN official seeks sustained int’l support for Palestinians
- Nigerian clubside hires 2 Portuguese coaches
- Fire Service decries rising false fire alarms in Adamawa
- Alimosho General Hospital to accommodate more patients this year — Medical Director
- Thousands of students join Baghdad protests after overnight clashes
- Putin sends amendments to parliament to change presidential term limits
- Champion Djokovic digs deep to beat Struff in Melbourne opener
- Nsukka PDP apologises to Ugwuanyi over protest
- Labourer, 21, jailed 2 months for impersonation
- NIS gives entry requirements for non-Nigerian
- Iran not ruled out talks to end nuclear dispute, says official
- Trump to offer first detailed impeachment defence as pivotal week begins
- EU ministers consider relaunch of naval mission to protect Libya peace
- Supreme Court judgment: Zamfara APC felicitates with Gov. Ganduje
- LASTVEB official seeks to attract more females, vulnerable groups
- Court dissolves 22-year-old marriage over irreconcilable differences
- Nigeria seeks $890m to tackle HIV, TB, malaria
- Customs seizes 347g ivory products in east China port city
- Pope condemns ‘barbaric resurgence’ of anti-Semitism
- “Amotekun”, good idea but …. — Salvador
- Dry Season Farming: CBN, Gombe Govt. move to boost rice production
- Revenue: Nasarawa Govt cautions against illegal mining activities
- Aba residents in Diaspora call for attitudinal change to effectively fight crime
- Oil dealer docked over alleged N42m fraud
- UN condemns attack on humanitarian facility in Borno
- Bangladeshi policemen sentenced to death for 1988 rally massacre
- Czech Senate speaker Kubera dies
- Integrity in focus as NGO holds summit in Abuja
- CPC confiscates bags of adulterated sesame in Jigawa
- Mrs Oyetola vows to eradicate Female Genital Mutilation in Osun
- UN condemns attack on humanitarian accommodation in Borno
- Alleged $9.5m FIFA Grant : Court fixes Feb. 20 for ruling on joining Pinnick, Sanusi
- Residents laud Okowa’s ongoing rehabilitation work on DLA, Asaba roads
- Israel launches young entrepreneurs programme
- Under-19 ICC World Cup: Australia defeat Nigeria in group opening match
- Nutrition: NGO takes value awareness campaign to FCT area councils
- Police arraign 3 for allegedly stealing employer’s fish worth N200,000
- Amotekun will help in community policing – – Rep member
- Heavy rains kill 4, destroy infrastructure in southern Mozambique
- Don tasks associations on project development in communities
- Plateau Governor’s wife launches maternal week, donates delivery kits to pregnant women
- Imo governorship: Ex-legislator says call to reverse Supreme Court judgment baseless
- Court remands 4 truck drivers for allegedly selling customer’s goods
- Zambian leader reaffirms commitment to grow small,medium enterprises
- Pay attention to your health, Unilorin advises new students
- Rape: Association recommends girl-child education as solution
- 3-hour documentary on Oshiomhole’s `dark side’ out Jan. 30, says Ex-speaker
- SON pledges to ensure products in Anambra meet standard quality
- Lagos Theatre Festival to create platform for young artistes, organisers say
- 8 countries back European-led naval mission in Strait of Hormuz, says French ministry
- Int’l fair of Khartoum kicks off with participation of 25 countries
- Kwara waste management workers protest over non-payment of three-month salaries
- Teenager in court over alleged theft of N28,000
- Banditry: Lawmaker appeals to Buhari to beam searchlight on 3 LGAs of Niger
- Kiki Mordi, Fisayo Soyombo win 2019 Gatefield’s Journalism award
- Don’t disappoint management, Lagos Sector Commander tells promoted officers
- Court sentences man to 1 month in prison for stealing laptop
- BESDA distributes writing materials to 49,000 Almajiris in 501 Quranic schools in Kebbi
- 2020 NSF: Athletes to arrive for S/West zonal elimination Jan. 21 – Oshodi
- Court remands 2 for alleged possession of firearms
- How I started making money from ‘hungry rice’-Agropreneur
- Cyclist, coach lament lack of competitions
- Zamfara plans new stadium to boost sports development
- President Xi orders resolute efforts to curb virus spread
- Insecurity: Nigerian Army more resolute than ever – Buratai reassures
- Lagos working to improve teaching – SUBEB
- Farmers want Yobe Govt to focus on Sesame seeds, wheat production
- Gov. Sanwo-Olu appoints five new permanent secretaries
- Ex-Gov. Aliyu tasks north on girl-child education for faster growth
- Red Cross urges voluntary blood donation to save more lives
- Sri Lanka to implement laws to attract foreign investments
- Nepal searches for S/Korean, Nepalese trekkers missing in Himalayas
- UK issues commemorative coin celebrating rock band Queen
- I still love my wife, do not grant her divorce – Civil servant begs court
- IMF revises down global growth outlook, but sees lower risks
- Tight security as Supreme Court delivers judgment on Kano, Sokoto, others
- Burna Boy `My Money’ ‘My Baby’ place 4th in Michelle Obama’s playlist for 2020
- NDLEA arrests 401 suspects, seizes 281.64kg illicit drugs in Jigawa
- Abia Govt. to support NDLEA to reduce drug dependence
- NPA donates furniture to Primary school in Kaduna
- Nigeria, Uganda sign MoU on insurance training, examination, research
- Foundation urges Nigerians to take advantage of free skills acquisition training
- KDSG records 3,119 new TB cases — Official
- BBC chief to step down amid funding debate
- NNPC boss visits Lagos pipeline explosion scene
- Norway finance minister quits over IS woman’s return from Syria
- Paintings stolen in 1979 art heist back in east German museum
- Environmentalist calls for adoption of green technology to curb climate change impacts
- NCS tasks govt. on cyber stability
- EFCC arrests 89 suspected ‘Yahoo-Boys’ in Ibadan night club
- Sustaining fight against irregular migration via international cooperation
- Nigeria, France sign Cooperation Agreement on film production
- Teenager in court for allegedly stealing pineapples worth N310, 000
- Court remands 2 employees over stealing of N536,000
- 16 ships with petroleum products, food items expected — NPA
- Court okays dismissal of KWASU staff over gross misconduct, falsification of results
- Zambia seeks increased trade ties with UK
- 2020: NAHCON pledges hitch-free hajj, accessible accommodation for pilgrims
- Dearth of facilities, under-diagnosis affecting radiodiagnosis in Nigeria, says radiologist
- Gov. Ganduje extends hands of fellowship to opposition
- P&ID Scandal: Court adjourns untill Jan. 21 for trial of Briton
- Housekeeper, driver in court for allegedly stealing $8,400
- Accept Supreme Court ruling in good faith, Kano Commissioner tells PDP
- Palm oil prices seen to stay high in H1
- NABDA urges farmers to embrace GMOs, technology-driven crops
- Iran threatens to leave NPT if nuke case sent to UN Security Council
- Court sentences 5 ex-cops to death over assassination of Bangladeshi PM
- Surety lands in court for alleged failure to produce defendant
- 2 teenagers, 26-year-old woman docked for allegedly stealing underwear
- Abia Govt pledges readiness to reduce drug dependence among youth
- FRSC decorates 24 newly promoted officers in Badagry
- Court remands 3 unemployed men in custodial centre over an alleged robbery
- Police arraign sales rep. over alleged negligent conduct
- Pipeline explosion claims 5 lives including 5 year-old baby- LASEMA
- Outcry in Pakistan as lawyers’ group asks members to declare faith
- My wife is fetish, divorce-seeking husband tells court
- Supreme Court verdict: PDP urges Kano supporters to remain calm
- UN urges reform amid escalation in anti-gov’t protests in Iraq
- Court remands car wash operator for allegedly stealing customer’s car
- Security beefed up in Kano after Supreme Court affirms Gov. Ganduje
- PenCom directs PFAs to implement pension enhancement for retirees under contributory scheme